1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Jim Henson's Animal Show Revisited

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by Princeton, May 15, 2016.

1. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

Feel free to move this if needed. The Animal Show With Stinky and Jake was an educational show about animals that aired on the Discovery Channel circa 1996. While it had great music and I learned a lot from it, I always felt awkward watching it, which was mainly due to the time it aired. This was one of three Muppet projects that debuted that year, the other two being Muppet Treasure Island and Muppets Tonight, and if MTI is the best of the three, that didn't bode well for where the company was going. I'm sorry my opinion of this show is such a downer, so hopefully you all have happier memories of this show.

2. backpackmina

backpackmina Active Member

(This needs to go to Family Worlds..)

But yeah, I have about the same feelings. I wasn't born when it premiered but my mom always got it from the library. I barely remember the show, there was no "You gotta see this!" factor that, in my opinion, Bear had for me as a kid. I do remember thinking it was a spinoff of Bear featuring those forgettable Woodland Valley creatures.

3. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

I completely agree. This was the breath of fresh air that let me know that the Henson company was going to produce better things, and it debuted literally a year after the Animal Show.

4. backpackmina

backpackmina Active Member

At least it gave us another Dave/Steve team, I always liked those.

5. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

So did I, but I didn't realize until recently that Steve performed Jake. I always assumed it was Bill.

6. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I haven't seen much of it, but it's alright, I guess. There's not much they could really do given the talk-show format of it; no character development type of things. The original songs tended to be good, though.

7. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I really hope The Jim Henson Company releases more episodes soon. Currently only season 1 episodes have been released and I really want to see the Sam the Eagle episode, if that's alright with Disney.

8. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Me too, I want to see the Sam & the Dave episodes.