1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge Episode 1: What Lies Beneath

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by King Rupert, Mar 24, 2014.

1. King Rupert

King Rupert Active Member

I am not sure I saw a thread anywhere for this.

Jim Hensons Creature Shop Challenge premiers tomorrow night on Syfy.
    The show is airing after Face/Off which I have watched religiously since it's first episode, and it looks to basically follow in it's footsteps.

Face/Off is a special effects make-up challenge where each week the contestants have a specific project they have to create for, they've done Tim Burton, Dr. Suess, Rohl Dahl, Video Games, Robots, Monsters everything you can dream up and typically each episode has a special guest judge that ties directly into that challenge.

Creature Shop Challenge looks to be in the same mold, with Brian Henson at the helm. Brian is hosting the show so I am not sure how closely he'll be working with the contestants, but it looks to be 12 or show aspiring creators competing for a job at the Henson Creature shop.

The show airs Tuesday nights on Syfy at 10PM.

FrackleFan2012 likes this.
  2. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

3. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Saw the premiere episode. At least one of the contestants recognized Gigi Edgley, their host, from her time on Farscape.

The ten competitors were put into teams of two each and they had to create undiscovered sea creatures with an appearance of realism.

The winning team was this duo that created a menacing devil prawn. *Sends it to hunt down all those sea minkeys on the ocean floor.

Another team came up with a scuttleslurp crustacean type creature and there was a shellrock that needed more work.

The bottom teams were this group that made a fishlike thing and the losing team with their "Floyd" underwater HR Puffenstuff thing. Yeah, I can't explain it any better than that, and I'm visually challenged myself so I don't understand the concept any better than you might after reading this.

It's an interesting program, especially following up after Faceoff. Looking forward to what inspiration future episodes might bring us. :jim:

4. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

I thought it was an interesting show. It still amazes me how much Brian looks like his father, he even sounds like him at times! You really see how these kinds of creatures are designed and put together by a team of people in a shorter period of time that it normally would take. Of course, you get people that gel well together as I saw tonight, but I like it overall. I'll keep watching.

5. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I watched the show last night. It was good. Though I felt it was a bit hard to watch Brian Henson tell one team (even though that team wasn't kicked off yet) that their teamwork was appalling. Maybe it's just because I don't think I've ever seen Brian Henson provide criticism (it wouldn't have felt that odd if it was Frank Oz or Richard Hunt).

6. King Rupert

King Rupert Active Member

It makes sense when you think that the prize is to work in his shop. It's not like you're winning money and going on your way, you're being welcomed into a team environment so why not call it out now?

7. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Not to mention that Brian was right... Tina and Rus were the worst working team out of all five pairings.

ploobis likes this.
  8. minor muppetz

Yeah, I watched it, but didn't pay enough attention to whether the teams were good or bad (maybe if I watched it again, I might see how bad it was.... Or I could think it wasn't that bad). I was more interested in the stuff in the creature shop, the interview portions, the clips from various creature shop productions (it's too bad they couldn't include any clips from Dinosaurs, but it was cool to briefly see Baby Sinclair at the shop).

9. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right! it takes Good Teamwork to create a Great Creature or Muppet!

I really enjoyed the series premiere! I can't wait to see next week's episode! :jim: :scary:

10. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

The first episode was pretty good.

11. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

12. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Just saw the show for the first time, really enjoyed it. It's really fascinating watching professionals work at a genuine craft and it's refreshing to see the Dark Crystal/Labyrinth aesthetic again. And so far the judges are handling things very maturely which is a nice change from the usual reality show nonsense, lol.

13. robodog

robodog Active Member

Glad it's a hit! I thoroughly enjoyed it and am eagerly awaiting next week's episode. I find this kind of thing fascinating.

14. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

I watched the episode! I loved the cool underwater creature entries made by the contestants during the first round. :)

15. minor muppetz

One thing I thought of: The winner gets to work for Jim Henson's Creature Shop, yet in the past decade it's been hard for the company to get any non-CG projects made. Hopefully the company will be able to provide a project for the winner to work on. In the past few years has the creature shop even made any creatures for any non-Henson movies? Will the winners have to settle for working on puppets for Sesame Street or Puppet Up as opposed to a "Creature Shop production" that uses the old Creature Shop style (since the Creature Shop now does the Muppet-style puppets in addition to the more realistic)?

16. Wiseman

Wiseman Member

I don't have cable so I'm watching these eps on the website a day late, I liked the first ep, which I saw last Wednesday, and I can't wait for tomorrow when I get to see the second ep. The couple that created that fish creature was really bad. Watching them was like watching a train wreck, you know it's terrible, but you can't look away.

17. Beakerfan

Beakerfan Well-Known Member

I know they did the creatures for "Where the Wild Things Are", but that was a few years ago now. However, I think this show is exactly what the Creature Shop needs to get itself back out there and doing a lot of amazing work.

The Count likes this.
  18. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

You know this is quite off-topic (sorry about that), but the jim henson's creature shop show has made brian henson so popular that if you type in "bri" on google, the first thing that comes up is literally "brian henson", that's better than JIM!!!!!!!!!!!!

backpackmina likes this.