Jim Henson's Message and Legacy

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I am doing a project on Jim Henson and his Muppets and the thesis for my project is "What was Jim Henson's message to the world and how was he able to convey it using the Muppets to make such a lasting impression?"

I have read several books that tell me what close friends and celebrities have said Henson's message to the world was, but what does the average Muppet Fan (us) see his message as and what exactly makes the Muppets so good?

Please respond with your answers! :excited: :wink: :cool: :zany:

Erine81981

Reaction score
I guess I would have to say is that he did such a wonderful job that how this web site was introduce. He was just one of those people that had dream to make People happy and he did it. Wonderful man was Jim Henson. He's is my Hero. I'll never forget the whole world of the Muppets as long as I live.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Infinity Sirius said:
I am doing a project on Jim Henson and his Muppets and the thesis for my project is "What was Jim Henson's message to the world and how was he able to convey it using the Muppets to make such a lasting impression?"

I have read several books that tell me what close friends and celebrities have said Henson's message to the world was, but what does the average Muppet Fan (us) see his message as and what exactly makes the Muppets so good?

Please respond with your answers! :excited: :wink: :cool: :zany:
My impression of Jim Henson's message is that he wanted to educate as well as entertain, thus we had Muppet Babies, Fraggle Rock, TMS, etc.

I'm doing my Senior Project on him next year & I want to do this: On the research paper portion I want to do a piece on his life and works, even today. I'd love to get in contact with Gilda Radner, so I can interview her on Jim Henson & her guest appearance on TMS. For the 15-hour physical project, I'd like to create puppets out of plushies, like Red, Boober, Beeker, etc. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

BJ

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
erniebert1234ss said:
I'd love to get in contact with Gilda Radner, so I can interview her on Jim Henson & her guest appearance on TMS.
Gilda Radner died in 1989 after a long and fairly public struggle with cancer.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
LOL I love how the words "fairly public struggle..." are used - make the poor person feel even worse!!

:zany:

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
LOL I love how the words "fairly public struggle..." are used - make the poor person feel even worse!!

:zany:
I didn't mean that so much as there is a lot of information out there if they want to know more about Gilda's life and death. In addition to books and lots of commetary on tv 'news' shows, there was that biopic a year or two ago.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I commonly use his words "I want to leave the world a little bit better for my having been here." That sums up his message pretty broadly, but I think Jim wanted to show the world how to focus on optimism instead of all the negative things going on. He helped me to see that light.

Also, in the realm of puppetry, a great goal of his that is sometimes overlooked was the struggle to prove that puppets are an entertainment/art form for EVERYONE, not just kids. (That's why he did TMS: Sex and Violence.) He hooked me on it, and that message is something I'm trying to continue in my own sphere of influence.

So there's just a tid-bit of Jim's impression on me.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
MuppetQuilter said:
Gilda Radner died in 1989 after a long and fairly public struggle with cancer.
I had no clue. Sorry. I was 3 at the time. What do I know?

How about Steve Martin? He's still alive; he just did LT:BIA just last year (I'm talking about the TMS guest star Steve Martin!) Or how about Carol Burnett? She's still alive; she was talking about her variety show a while ago with Harvey Korman (another TMS guest) and Tim Conway (where I've heard that name in relation to the Muppets I have no clue)! Any of those waiting for interviews?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
MuppetQuilter said:
I didn't mean that so much as there is a lot of information out there if they want to know more about Gilda's life and death. In addition to books and lots of commetary on tv 'news' shows, there was that biopic a year or two ago.
I was just buggin' `ya. :wink: