1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Jim Henson's Puppet Improv March 8-12

Discussion in 'Henson Alternative' started by Buck-Beaver, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

Hey all,

So there is a special event at the upcoming U.S. Comedy Festival called "Jim Henson's Puppet Improv" in Aspen. It's an adult only live performance and features some of the best Muppet performers. Presumably no Muppets though, since it's a Henson Co. event and Disney doesn't appear to be involved.

For more info check out - http://puppetvision.blogspot.com/2006/02/jim-hensons-puppet-improv.html
  2. OverUnderAround

OverUnderAround New Member

That's pretty cool news! It would be nice to see what they can come up with when they think outside of the established Muppet style of performing.

Also interesting is to see that Yerrid and Massey will be there. I guess this means they have been accepted into the Henson lineup of puppeteers, perhaps on a more permanent level now.

I hope it's a true improv and no pre-planned sketches. One of the traits of a great Muppet performer is doing improvs with the puppets, and being humorous while doing it. You can be a great puppeteer, but if you don't have the gift for improv, you can't be a real Muppeteer.

I hope the Puppeteers of America can work something out with the Henson's and videotape this event for other can see it in the future.
  3. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

This is the coolest, most original idea I've seen come out of either Muppet camp in years upon years! God, I've gotta see how I can get down there and view this firsthand! Someone had better release a DVD of this or something! We haven't seen an adult and "naughty" Jim Henson production since the old SNL Gorch skecthes of the mid 70's, so this is a landmark occassion!
  4. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

Drew and Victor have been working in the Henson lineup for years. Massey worked on Dinosaurs, Muppets Tonight, Muppets From Space, The Muppet Show Live, Its a Verry Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, The Muppets Wizard of Oz, and From the Balcony. Yerrid has worked on Bear in the Big Blue House, Muppets From Space, Farscape, and From the Balcony.
  5. wes

wes Active Member

It be to cool if they could get Frank Oz to come in and Puppeteer.
  6. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

I'd like to second the defense of Victor and Drew. I don't think OverUnderAround meant any disrespect, but they are both very talented guys. It's a stellar lineup of puppetry talent.
  7. "The show is being advertised as "definately not for children" "......
    This sounds very cool, but it doesn't appear to be an original idea in terms of puppetry. Maybe a first for the Henson group, but a certain name comes to mind. Anyways, I hope they take it somewhere else and create a new 'market' for their puppets.
  8. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

What's "From the Balcony"?
  9. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Sounds cool.
  10. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

11. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

this is awsome there is now way I can get to this so I hope it ends up on tv or or dvd because I will buy it for sure...shame they can't use the real muppets though :D
    btw this is my first post it's so nice to be able to talk to you all finally!
  12. SJohnson

SJohnson Member

Henson Improv

The sketches will not be pre-planned, it is all truly improv. The puppeteers have been training with Groundlings performer Patrick Bristow for the past nine months to perfect their improv skills. Just like the Groundlings (the legendary Los Angeles improv company that launched the careers of Phil Hartman, Lisa Kudrow, Jon Lovitz and others) the sketches will be performed based on audience suggestions.
  13. wes

wes Active Member

It sounds sweet i wish i could go:cry:

Hey:eek:some one needs to go and tape it and post it on the Web! Any one Going or close by?
  14. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

Oh, Statler and Waldorf at movies.com. I forgot that's what their show was called.
  15. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

If anyone here is planning on attending this and would be interested in working on a story for the event, please contact me.
  16. Skeeter Muppet

Skeeter Muppet Active Member

Paul Rugg! Dude, Paul Rugg!

-Kim
  17. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Maybe I can attend this. I really would love to. I need some autographs of these good preformers. Maybe they'll talk about the "Muppet Amercain Idol" thing or whatever it's called. But I'll let ya'll know.
  18. ravagefrackle

ravagefrackle New Member

attending the event is out of my realm of possibility, but a small part of me looks like it will be involved if those puppets on the promo pic are involved, i built the goat Victor is holding for Telling stories with Tommie DePola,
  19. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

where is this promo pic at?
  20. wes

wes Active Member

take some picture or video's if they let you and share the wealth of info!!

Please!!!:halo: