Jim Hill Media: Jim Henson, Walt Disney, and What Could Have Been

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Jim Henson, Walt Disney, and What Could Have Been

JHM contributor Floyd Norman returns with a snazzy new column about Jim Henson. A creative genius that Floyd feels was worthy of Walt's crown, a man who could have brought vision and imagination back to Disney. Alas, it was not to be.

I was first introduced to the Muppets back in the early sixties. Where of all places, you might ask? The Walt Disney studio. I was called up to the second floor of the animation building on the Disney lot. Hub Braden, an art director from CBS Television had something he wanted to show us Disney guys. The film clips consisted of several sketches done by a clever bunch of Puppet -- or I should say, Muppeteers, with a fresh, engaging sense of humor.

After the screening, I couldn't help but think, those guys should be working here. Jim Henson and his team seemed a perfect fit for Disney. Alas, nothing came of that afternoon meeting, but that never stopped Henson and his talented crew. Before I knew it, Jim Henson was turning up on a series of popular televisions shows, including Ed Sullivan, Perry Como and many others. The audiences loved his cuddly characters, and unlike many of the other puppet critters, these Henson creations were loved by adults and kids alike.

Late in the sixties, our paths would cross again. Back in New York, an organization called the Children's Television Workshop was developing a new show for PBS. I began animating segments for the show, not even knowing the name of the series. One afternoon I was speaking with one of the producers in his Hollywood office. I glanced at a press release on his desk. From what I could make out, this had to be the show all of us had be working on for months. Now I could attach a name to the project. It was called "Sesame Street."

Well, much to my surprise and delight, Jim Henson and his wonderful creature shop would be designing a host of characters for the new show due to debut on Public Television that fall. I had been working on a number of other television series that same year, but as I look back on that year, the most important thing I worked on was "Sesame Street." The show succeeded beyond anyone's expectations. Much of that success was due to the wonder and charm of Jim Henson's creations. Combining education with entertainment had up to that time, been the domain of creators such as Walt Disney. I couldn't help but wonder what would happen if these two brilliant creators were ever able to pool their resources.

The world lost Walt Disney the same decade "Sesame Street" made its appearance on public television. Jim Henson and his talented Muppet crew went on to create other impressive entertainments on the big and small screen. Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy were becoming almost as beloved as Walt's characters. Kids across the nation knew Bert and Ernie, Big Bird, and the Cookie Monster. Yet, it would appear that the uniting of the Disney / Henson talents was simply a lost dream.

Much like a Disney fairy tale, a miracle happen some twenty five years later. One sunny afternoon, we all called to a special meeting in, of all places, the Disney Commissary, where we were greeted by the talented Jim Henson group. Something big was about to happen, and we were in on the groundbreaking news. Word would soon hit the media that Henson Associates would be signing with the Walt Disney Company. Jim Henson would become an active participant in Disney projects ranging from film and television production, publishing, and theme park development. The dream had finally been realized. Soon, The Walt Disney Company and Jim Henson Associates would create together as a powerhouse team. It's difficult to explain the excitement felt in the room that day.

That same year the American Bookseller's Association held their annual book fair in Las Vegas. Disney Publishing and Jim Henson Associates shared a booth on the convention floor. We were making it clear a great new partnership had begun. After the Vegas show, Henson returned to Burbank to begin work on a new attraction for Walt Disney World. The Muppet 3-D movie was filmed on stage three on the Disney studio lot, and I was lucky enough to be on the set nearly every day of filming. There were many special moments, but the one I know I'll never forget was watching Jim Henson and Frank Oz rehearse together. I can't tell you how special it was to see up close and personal what makes Kermit and Miss Piggy come alive.

Because of the growth of our two companies, Disney Publishing and Jim Henson's unit moved into a Burbank high rise down the street from the Disney lot. We were on the 29th floor, and Jim's unit was one floor below. The Henson people were nice enough to give us a tour of their floor once they got settled in. In time, we got use to seeing Jim Henson's smiling face each morning as we boarded the elevator together.

As I drove to work one morning I heard on my car radio that Jim Henson had passed away. I had to pull my car to the side of Riverside Drive. "How could this be," I thought to myself. "I had just spoken to Jim Henson last week." I couldn't believe he was gone. The feeling I had was not unlike the day Walt Disney died. The partnership between two great companies had suddenly come to close before it had barely begun. Most reading this already know what followed. Years of legal hassles, a few lackluster productions, and the eventual departure of the Henson family from Disney. Like Disney without Walt, much of the magic seemed to have evaporated.

Today, we've come full circle. Not long ago, Disney CEO, Michael Eisner proudly announced that the Muppets were finally part of the Disney family. The rich legacy of Jim Henson and his creative team were now about to flourish under the Disney banner. Are we indeed moving into a new creative era with the Muppets, or is this more show business hype? One wonders what will become of Jim Henson's legacy when Disney can barely maintain its own.

by Floyd Norman
April 7, 2004

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Really good article. If Walt and Jim themselves could have worked together, that would have been an amazing partnership.
Erin

McFraggle

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
If Walt and Jim themselves could have worked together, that would have been an amazing partnership.
I've always thought of Walt and Jim as having a lot in common. They were both creative and had a deep love and appreciation for their creations. That is one of the reasons both of their creations are so beloved today.

Luke

Reaction score
It's a nice account from Floyd Norman of his experiences. In the 25 years gap he mentions much went on too, Henson himself trying to buy Disney and an earlier attempt by Jim to sell JHC to Disney but being told they weren't interested. Maybe one of the Henson historians will write a book or something one day about the incredible "dance" the companies had been doing for many, many years.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
I wish someone WOULD write a book or make a documentary. There's an interesting story to tell.

McFraggle

Reaction score
Are there any good books about Jim Henson's life and work?

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Jim Henson: The Works, Of Muppets and Men (still in print?), No Strings Attached (out of print), etc....

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
I really wish "No Strings Attached" was still in print, I LOVE that book.