Jim's trademark "Hmmm..."

Convincing John

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've read a lot about Jim considering something and going "Hmmmm...." I heard where it was a trademark of his among those he worked with.

As much as I've heard it mentioned, I've never heard or seen a clip of Jim doing this "hmmm...". Anyone know where I could find one? I'm just curious. It's one of those things you hear about all the time, but I have yet to find Jim going "hmmm..."

I also wonder if this "hmmm" was parodied intentionally in two places:

One of these was in the "Born to Wander" episode of Fraggle Rock. If you have a copy handy, watch the part where Uncle Gobo is looking for the Storyteller's pen and young Traveling Matt imitates his actions. Uncle Gobo puts a finger to his lips and goes "hmmm..." and Traveling Matt does the same thing. It just seems...Jim-like in some way.

The other possible parody was in "The Muppets Take Manhattan" with the group of exectutive frogs (Bill, Jill, Gil). Notice how they keep going "hmmm..." in unison.

What do you guys think?

Hmmmmm......

Convincing John

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
If you have the Labyrinth DVD and watch the making of documentary there's a clip of him doing that. I think there may be two in there actually. One is when the crew is testing a red soldier puppet and Jim is watching with his hand under his chin, then he laughs. Then during the credits he does it at one point.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hey, did you see KSY? In there, there is a child Jim Henson and he goes, "Hmmm."

But I guess that doesn't really count?

Beau

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Well, all of his characters do it, really. Especially Kermit. So it either gets channeled into his characters as well as real life, or he was parodying himself.