1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Joey Mazzarino leaving Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Pig's Laundry, Sep 9, 2015.

1. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Why don't we share our favorite Joey moments? I love seeing how funny Joey could be when he was off-the-cuff, the nerd HQ panel last year our this panel I posted here. Please reply to it. If the reason, you're not replying to it is because you can't look at Kevin the same way again, that's unnecessary. All those cases were thrown out and dismissed. Kevin is still a good and kind guy. http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/sesame-panel-at-dga.59075/

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Joey seemed to always play such funny and quirky characters, and sometimes you'd see similarities in some of the characters he played. For example, Bug from EIG and Goggles from KSY are both neurotics who try to be the voice of reason in distressing situations, and both give speeches: "You're a mean villain/bully, and nobody likes a mean villain/bully." Likewise, both Murray the Mediocre from A MAGICAL HALLOWEEN ADVENTURE and Joe Marley/Joey Dickens from A SESAME STREET CHRISTMAS CAROL had a quirk of always fixing up their hair.

3. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I believe this one was written by Joey. Flo Bear writes a story and reads it to Telly and some kids,the story's called CinderTelly. It's funny when Telly gets so wrapped up in the story that he completely forgets that it's just a story. He gets totally ticked off at Flo for her treatment of the book's main protagonist .
    Joey plays the fairy godperson in this story and he is absolutely hilarious.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  4. antsamthompson9

One of my favorite Joey preformances was the Matt Lauer Muppet when the Muppets took over the Today Show: , , ,

5. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

6. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

So I was complete wrong about Joey leaving I thought it was about Murray.

7. antsamthompson9

Here's some more of my favorite off-the-cuff Joey moments: , ,

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  8. D'Snowth

You know, re-reading the article about Joey's departure, I realized how problematic the situation was, and I actually see both sides of the argument. Telly, for instance: Joey mentioned he loved writing for Telly, but says he doesn't understand why more kids don't love him, and that unfortunately sheds light on why SW has decided to do away with celebrities and spoofs - because kids don't know who the celebrities are, and they don't understand spoofs. Telly is modeled after Woody Allen - and according to the article, George Costanza as well - well, kids aren't very likely to be familiar with either of those two, so whatever nuances Telly has based on them is lost on kids.

9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

That's never really stopped them before. Those were always their for adults watching with their kids anyway. While I'm not a fan of why this is happening (though there's still plenty of celebrities in the mix next year), it kinda had to happen to Sesame Street. On the one hand, they were too instrumental in making the show still relevant in a freaking ocean of preschool pop programming. But on the other hand, I can see budget advantages. Those daily word on the street inserts with celebs could not come cheap no matter how "we're doing it for kids" the celebrities get. I'm sure the pop culture parodies cost some change too, but I don't see it as that much more than regular segments. Still, they sure seemed to want to get the most of them and rerun them multiple times a season, or when they're irrelevant.

Seeing how the show is unfolding this season, it's starting to become clear what Joey was fighting for. I don't know if he was happy they brought back EW or not, but considering the strides the show has made to get to slightly older audiences, it speaks volumes about the show going back to the younger set. I'd care to make a guess that the fact letters and numbers are being all but shooed out of the show was one of many problems he saw coming.

10. Pig's Laundry

I read somewhere that another writer, Michael J Goldberg has left the show.
    I wonder if they hired any new writers for season 47 or if the other writers just have more to do now. Does anyone else wonder who will take over from Joey?

11. D'Snowth

Well, so far it looks like some of the other long-standing writers like Annie Evans, Emily Perl Kingsley, and Belinda Ward to name a few are still around - maybe of one them might get the job? Or, hopefully, SW won't pull another "corporate" move and bring in a new outside head writer like some shows have a tendancy to do.

12. Pig's Laundry

I wish they would give out more information about who wrote each sketch and street story. Most shows tell you in the credits who wrote each individual episode, but this show only lists who the writers are for the entire show.

13. D'Snowth

Well, considering this show, unlike most others, is made up of different elements, such as street stories, recurring segments, other inserts, it's probably just easier and more convenient for everybody to just list all of the writers of that season in the credits rather than each individual writer or writers for each individual segment featured in the episode. Not to mention, we've seen from script examples that sometimes the content of the final episode differs from the outlines and drafts of the scripts.

14. Slim Avery

Slim Avery New Member

Or How About Big Bag? Joey Played The Title Role.

15. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

16. Pig's Laundry

That makes sense, as Matt said "Murray is such a Joey character". I definitely can't imagine anyone else playing the role. He put so much of himself into that character, Murray is his baby.
    This also seems like a logical move on the producer's part, because now that the hosting format of 2009-2015 has been done away with, there's really not much use for him anymore. That being said, they are keeping Ovejita on the show, which I think is a good idea.

17. D'Snowth

Up until Murray, Joey never really had a signature character to the extent that other performers had. Caroll had Big Bird and Oscar, Kevin had Elmo, Jerry had Count, Marty had Telly and Snuffy, David had Baby Bear, Fran had Zoe, Steve had Ernie, Eric had Bert and Grover, Carmen had Rosita, but none of the characters that Joey played were anything more than supporting fixtures we'd see on occasion, such as Stinky, Horatio, and even Papa Bear . . . in fact, prior to Murray, it seemed like they were trying to establish Papa Bear as Joey's signature character, considering he did those inserts with Papa Bear like Murray started doing where he'd converse with a kid on the set, like that Antonio kid.

18. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I figure they'll keep re-running Murray Has a Little Lamb bits. They're kinda stuck with him in the opening theme now unless they choose to re-shoot the ending.

19. Pig's Laundry

Yeah, I remember that. The writers and Joey were testing out several characters at that time to interview kids. Papa Bear, Murray and even a talking piece of broccoli.

20. antsamthompson9

Sorry for bumping the thread, but I found this great talk Joey gave and I'm positive it was after he left:

MikaelaMuppet and Pig's Laundry like this.