John Denver

Whatever

Reaction score
Why is John Denver so famous? I've seen some of his Muppet stuff and know how he died, but nothing else, and some people on this board seem to be really attached to him. Did he have any albums on his own? (probably, but hey if you don't ask you don't learn)

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
TONS of albums. :big_grin: He was extremely prolific. I am a HUGE John Denver fan - him and Simon and Garfunkel absolutely top the list for me. I love him because of his joie de vivre - as Mary Travers said, he could sing the phone book and make it sound joyful. I love him for his wholesomeness; he was just such a decent, down-to-earth, guileless, caring guy. I mean, he wasn't perfect, he had his problems, but he was such an incredibly decent human being. And he was a country boy, a nature freak whose music is absolutely filled with a love of the wilderness, of animals, and of good home-grown values. And he did so much for the causes he was passionate about, from helping impoverished children to all of his work on behalf of wildlife. He was a straight-edge nature boy who was never afraid to be himself in an industry that couldn't figure out how he fit in. He kept his integrity to the end. I think he and Jim Henson had a lot in common, and they had a sense of kinship that shows in the work he did with the Muppets. It was a sad, sad day when John Denver died. The world needs more people like him. :halo:
Erin

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Whatever said:
Why is John Denver so famous? I've seen some of his Muppet stuff and know how he died, but nothing else, and some people on this board seem to be really attached to him. Did he have any albums on his own? (probably, but hey if you don't ask you don't learn)
John Denver is incredibly talented as a singer-songwriter. I grew up well after his "peak" in the 1970s but my parents were fans and I saw his work with the Muppets.

From what I've read, he was the biggest country star of the 1970s and 1980s and his popularity easily crossed over into popular music too. Think Garth Brooks but twenty years earlier. In addition, he's STILL one of the top-selling artists in history (8 platinum albums including one with the Muppets) and appeared in several movies. Check out his Greatest Hits CD sometime--you probably have heard many of his songs before.

As for John Denver as a person, Erin pretty much nailed it in her post above. Just seemed like a fun-loving, talented guy.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I think it's pretty easy for people who are attached to Jim Henson to be attached to John Denver as well. It's amazing that people can be so passionate, and yet so gentle and genuine. I agree with all that's been said in the above posts--I think that Jim Henson and John Denver are both people about whom you could say that the world is a better place for having had them in it. I always have a kind of joy and sadness when I think about either of them, because they gave so much to so many people. I miss the simple, unironic days of "singing and dancing and making people happy," but I think it's a testament to both of these men that they are missed and remembered with such love.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
I always have a kind of joy and sadness when I think about either of them, because they gave so much to so many people. I miss the simple, unironic days of "singing and dancing and making people happy," but I think it's a testament to both of these men that they are missed and remembered with such love.
Yeah, it's very bittersweet to think about Jim or John. It's very sad they left us so soon, but what a legacy they left us with. :halo:
Erin

jediX

Reaction score
I always loved his "Magic Garden" song from his TMS episode.

Being from Colorado myself I was pretty much exposed to John by my parents at an early age. Although I mostly listen to Punk and Ska and all that stuff its not uncommon to catch me with Denver or Muppets on.

After all, the cover band Me First & the Gimme Gimmes (the band that did the punk version of Rainbow Connection) also covered Denver's "(Take Me Home) Country Roads)." What an awesome cover.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
John was a special man. I so enjoy listening to him singing. He is sadly missed:cry:

Same with Jim. They both contributed wholesome entertainment and we will never forget them:cry:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I just bought my Dad a John Denver CD for his birthday, he's a huge fan. I like his work too. Even when I was a child, whenever I was around nature, I was reminded of his songs. That's quite a legacy, to be identified with nature, and I think that's what he wanted.

I had no idea John Denver had done so much work with the Muppets. In his two specials, he always seems to act like the mature parent next to the insane Muppets lol

I still have the Rocky Mountain Holiday album. I listen to it a lot (not too much because I don't want to scratch it up!), my favorite songs are "Durango Mountain Cabellaros" and "Catch Another Butterfly."

You can hear the first one here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l80NBC95QLE

MrsWembly

Reaction score
John Denver is great! I still like to watch OH GOD! with him and George Burns.

The Muppet Show with John Denver has got to be one of my favorite episodes!

“Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow. All you need in a rake and a hoe and a place on solid ground.” :flirt:

Kiki

Reaction score
I don't really know John Denver all that much apart from his appearences w/ the Muppets. The hadta cut the bit where Rowlf or someone is in a plane from the special 'Rocky Mountain holiday' because John died in a plane crash.
rest in peace, mr.Denver. :sympathy: :frown: