1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Johnny Fiama - where is he now?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by ALYN, Mar 31, 2006.

1. ALYN

ALYN New Member

Anybody know where that class lounge singer Johnny Fiama is now, and if Sal the monkey is still worshipping the ground he glides across?
    Seriously, he was my favourite Muppet in Muppets Tonight, I thought he was absolutely brilliant and the show with Tony Bennett was the best ever.
    I've just dug out a video with 4 or 5 Muppets Tonight on it, and I'm really enjoying watching them again, although I see on the forum they get a mixed response. If anything, I think the shows were a bit too 'frantic' in places and could do with being more laid back. Clifford was a bit over-used, Bobo was excellent and the neurotic panicky producer (Kevin?) was great, as was the incredible Andy & Randy.
    But for me it was Johnny and Sal who made it.
    If only Fiama had made an album of lounge classics.....

I'm quite new here but really enjoying this site.
    Alyn

2. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

The Producers name is .....Nigel

He was great i can only hope He and Sal are in Vegas singing and haveing fun.

but Sal and Johnny were in MWoO (May'05)

3. Bill Bubble Guy

Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

What roles did they play in MWoO? Or were they only supporting cameos?

4. ALYN

ALYN New Member

Nigel.... of course! tremendously twitchy...
    Yesterday I was reading about Jane Russell singing in bars aged 84 and thought about Johnny Fiama duetting with her - what a show that would be. I guess Johnny might have followed Tony Bennett's lead and taken up a career in water-colours, I can just see Sal lovingly carrying around the easel and paints.
    By the way - what is MWoO - not up on these abbreviations yet.
    Cheers
    Alyn

5. Bill Bubble Guy

The Muppet Wizard of Oz

6. ALYN

ALYN New Member

ah - haven't seen that - did they have much of a part - did Johnny get to croon?

7. Bill Bubble Guy

I haven't seen it either. I was asking about Johnny and Sal's roles earlier myself

8. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Actually, they did have quite a big part in MWOO. Remember they were working for the evil witch (Miss Piggy), but after she melted they became good. Sorry if I'm giving away any spoilers for those who haven't seen it.

9. ALYN

ALYN New Member

That's it then - I shall order my copy!
    and I'll have to get on the horn to Sal and see if Johnny can be coaxed out of retirement for a record deal

10. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Hi ALYN and welcome to the craziness here at MC...

Lemme help ya out here.
    MWoO is The Muppet Wizard of Oz, the latest Muppet TV movie production, it premiered on 5/20/2005 on ABC. The DVD version seems to have a better more continuous presentation though.
    In MWoO, Johnny Fiama did not get to croon... But he did have a good secondary-sized part as the main lackey/schmoozer among the Wicked Witch of the West's henchcrooks. Sal Manilla was there also, as the only monkey among the Flying Monkeys. In fact, at the end, Sal gets the winged cap that controls the other Flying Monkeys.
    Johnny: Wait a minute, the monkey gets the cap?

Though there was no real album released with songs sung by Johnny, two pseudo-albums worth noting are...
    1 The album of Johnny's hits advertised in the John Goodman episode.
    2 The three different album covers complete with track song listings included with the three paint-scheme variations of the Johnny Fiama action figure in Series 7 of Palisades Toys' Muppets figure line.
    Hope this helps and have a great time exploring the rest of the site.

11. ALYN

ALYN New Member

wow - thanks for all that!
    I think it was Johnny's first appearance on MT that his album was advertised - I think it was called something like 'You'll Hear Nothing When You Hear Johnny Fiama' and he previews a couple of songs - Hooked On A feeling and New York, New York (possibly). In another episode he starts Mack The Knife when a shark appears on cue and Johnny does a brilliant double-take before running off. I've GOT to watch the Tony Bennett show tonight - I haven't got to it yet on my video.....

12. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Yes, that's correct... I've got all of MT on VCD in my Muppet library.
    The line of "You'll hear nothing when you hear Johnny Fiama sing..." was actually the voiceover from the announcer.
    New York, New York was the first song... Though Johnny never sang it cause he missed his cue.
    Hooked On A Feeling was next with Sal throwing him off by doing the oogachackas.

The bit where he started singing Mac the Knife was in the Sandra Bullock episode where they were rushing acts on stage to keep the ratings from dipping below 50.

Hope this helps.

13. ALYN

ALYN New Member

I can feel an obsession coming on - I'll need to burn my videos to DVD, go to MP3, edit down to all the Johnny Fiama appearances and create The Johnny Fiama album. I can do all that except the video > DVD at present, but if ever there was a reason to get the gear to do it - this is it!!! I'm on it!

14. Bill Bubble Guy

That sounds fine but just bear in mind that from what I can make out by the 13 MT shows I have Johnny hardly ever finished a complete song. He does sing a successful duet with Tony Bennet but most of his other songs get interrupted. Rather like a modern updated variation on Wayne and Wanda I suppose.

It would be interesting to see how many complete songs do in fact exist by him though

15. pepestarr

pepestarr New Member

In Muppet Wizard Of Oz, Bill did Johnny as usual but even though Sal had a big part, Brian Henson didn't do any puppeteering in the movie at all.

16. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Johnny is in storage at the Muppet workshop.;)
    I hope that helped.

17. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

voice work

18. JoeyMuppet

JoeyMuppet New Member

And once and awhile he does the Statler & Waldorf movie previews on movies.com.

19. golden teeth

golden teeth New Member

they were in a lot of Its a Very Merry Muppet Chrsitmas Movie.

20. Daylight

Daylight New Member

Didn't Johnny and Sal appear on a telethon a couple of times?