Jon Ludwig of Center for Puppetry Arts Interviewed

Voiceroy

Reaction score
http://www.ajc.com/services/content/printedition/2009/04/05/ludwig0405.html

I met Jon when I auditioned for one of the Center's shows around 2004, I think it was. I wasn't really expecting to make it in since I only consider myself to be just above intermediate level as a puppeteer. I only use puppets as a small part of the kids shows I do occasionally, and have a few others I use for comedy at live events that I host or perform at. But I wouldn't even consider myself to be a "professional" puppeteer.

And I learned some things from the audition, since Jon gave me some dialog and character direction and tested my improv skills. If I audition again, I know specifics I need to work on for next time.

He seemed like a really nice guy -- very energetic, and you can sense his love for puppetry just from the way he talks about it. My audition also ran longer than it should have because we talked for about 20 minutes afterwards, when he learned I was from Memphis which was also his hometown.

He sent me a follow-up email after my audition and was very complimentary of my character voices and singing ability, and encouraged me to take some of their puppetry workshops and said he hoped I would audition again in the future after getting more experience as a puppeteer.