1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

"Junk Foam"

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by ZombieJellyfish, Oct 24, 2006.

1. ZombieJellyfish New Member

Hey guys. I'm just finishing up my first two Glorified Sock Puppets, and for my third puppet, I want to use foam to make the head.

Being my first foam venture, I don't particularly want to blow the money for Scott Foam.

Is there anything I should look for in "junk foam" (i.e. thickness, ppi, etc) or is it all pretty much the same stuff? I would like to be able to dye it.
  2. BorkBork New Member

When i made my Eric-puppet, i used cheap foam for the head. It's 1cm in thickness, and it's regular upholstry-foam. It's perfect for small puppets like this, but it's not as durable as scott-foam. But if you have a money issue and still want to build small puppets, it's perfect.

Here's a pic of eric.

And here's a pic of an unfinished puppet, wich i also used the same foam for.
  3. pjspuppets New Member

junk foam

The thing to remember with foam is to keep it out of sunlight... that makes it break down a lot faster.
  4. Whispers New Member

Depending on how thick you want the head to be, I suggest maybe just 1/4 inch thick foam since i'm sure it's a pretty small puppet