Just a simple question.

peyjenk

Reaction score
Could somebody fill me in on the "rumored CGI show" mentioned in this folder's description?

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
There was a Jim Hill article in December 2004 that mentioned some rumored future Muppet projects, one of which was a CGI Muppet Babies show.

There's been some semi-serious talk about the basic cable channel reviving the old "Muppet Babies" TV series. Though -- instead of using traditional animation to show Baby Gonzo, Scooter & Skeeter at play -- Disney now reportedly plans to use motion-capture technology to produce an all-new CG version of that same show, which would then air in the Disney Channel's "Playhouse Disney" programming block.
That's all that was ever mentioned.

peyjenk

Reaction score
Hmm. Sounds like it won't happen, then.

Thanks for the info!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Probably not, no...but it would have been an awesome project to happen. Athough I wonder if they would have put the right effort or time into the series for it to truely work.

It would have been amazing to see a new series created in a similar style to the old series, complete with a myrid of movie clips from recent movies.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah in the end, I don't mind too much if a company uses CGI (as long as it's good CGI). What matters more is the story. Of course, remakes aren't always done well. ::shrugs::

peyjenk

Reaction score
I think that CGI Muppet Babies would probably work better as a film than a TV series.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I agree. But I don't think they could use backdrops from other films in a Muppet Baby Film. It just wouldn't work.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
What weirds me out is that the article mentioned motion-capture technology for the series. Would they actually use real babies and put them in funky suits with sensors all over them, like The Polar Express? If they did do that, where on Earth would they find a real baby to act like Animal?

Beauregard

Reaction score
I would think they were talking more about the motion-capture puppets that the Jim Heson company built and used for a little while -- and are using again now for some other project that I can't for the life of me remember.

Have you seen how the Fraggle's faces/mouths work? It's a similar technology to that, except it transfers to computer rather than an actual puppet.

peyjenk

Reaction score
I wonder if the Fraggle Rock film will spark interest in a new Muppet Babies project- be it series or movie.