Just As Stars In Night Do, Naturally (In Memory Of Jerry Nelson)

MissMusical12

Reaction score
I personally didn't find out about Jerry Nelson's death until yesterday. (I found out through Youtube on my phone in my hotel room.) I, like the rest of us, are deeply devastated. I watched "The Muppets Take Manhattan" in the car ride home today (Yeah, I finally got the movie on DVD). When "Saying Goodbye" came on, on Floyd's line followed by the Rest of The Electric Mayhem "You're in my heart, so until then, it's time for saying goodbye," I wanted to shed a tear so bad. So it got me thinking that I myself should do a tribute to him. And what better character would I do this with is with my favorite Jerry Nelson character: Floyd Pepper. At first, I thought it should be a full blown story, but then I felt a simple oneshot would do. So, here's my tribute to Jerry Nelson.

Disclaimer: I DO NOT OWN THE MUPPETS! They are property to Jim Henson, The Muppets Studios and The Walt Disney Company!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
August 24, 2012. The night sky dazzled in it's twinkling glory. From where Dr. Teeth and Janice can see it on the rooftop of their bayside hotel in Baltimore, where the Electric Mayhem has recently stopped on their "Tour de World," it seemed perfect.

Dr. Teeth and Janice always either went outside on the rooftop or looked outside the window just to speak to their "fathers" through the stars and night sky. As they know and believe, heaven is a place on earth, too. This whole thing all started 22 years ago or so, when Dr. Teeth's "father," Jim, passed away. He, just like Kermit, Rowlf, and the others were heartbroken. There even was a time when he couldn't even speak for a while, until his "new father," Bill, raised him up to speak again. Two years later, Janice's "father," Richard, passed away as well. She, too, was completely devastated and heartbroken. Unfortunately, she felt much more pain than when Dr. Teeth had when Jim died. She couldn't speak for years, much longer than Dr. Teeth, until David, Janice's "new father," helped give her her beautiful Valley girl voice power once more. They would usually look up at the stars every week or so, just to see how Jim and Richard were doing.

Tonight was one of the rare occasions when they would go out at the same time to look up at the stars. On a rare occasion, whenever Janice and Dr. Teeth looked up together, they both knew something would happen. What it was, they're never sure. "So, like what do you think, Jim and Richard are like thinking about?" Janice asked. "I mean this is like one of the rare times you and I are gazing together." Dr. Teeth shrugged and responded "I don't know. Whatever it is, it seems the gods aren't on someone's side tonight." "Who?" she asked. "Jim didn't say," Dr. Teeth responded. "He just said, "The gods aren't on someone's side tonight." And he said it's to someone close to our hearts." "It's not Animal, is it?" Janice asked. Dr. Teeth looked up at the sky and then back at Janice and shook his head. "Someone worse."

The door from the rooftop soon opened. Janice and Dr. Teeth turned to see someone they'd, at first, wish never came up there tonight. Floyd Pepper. He looked as though he felt weak and empty inside. Like he's struggling from a broken heart. He slumped over to where Janice and Dr. Teeth were and then rested his head on Janice's shoulder when he sat down between them. Janice turned to her depressed boyfriend, only to notice him crying. "Floyd? Crying?" Janice thought to herself. "Now like, that's a rarity."

"Hey, man, what's the matter?" Dr. Teeth asked in concern. "It's a rarity to ever see you crying." Floyd shook his head. Dr. Teeth felt worried for his friend. Depressed and crying, a combo that always made Dr. Teeth concerned and worried about Floyd. Janice tried confronting him. "Floyd, honey?" Janice asked. "What's wrong? I rully don't like seeing you cry, so like please tell me what's the matter." Floyd gave in and whispered something in Janice's ear. "What? Oh my gosh......"

"What'd he say?" Dr. Teeth asked. Janice sighed and said "It's.....Jerry. He's.....gone." "Gone?" Dr. Teeth questioned. He was really surprised to find out that Jerry, Floyd's "father", of all people, would pass away so suddenly. "How long ago?" "Just yesterday," Floyd responded quietly. "I....found out from Matt just a few hours ago."

Matt was Floyd's "second in command father," meaning if anything happened to Jerry, Matt would always be happy to step in. Unfortunately, Matt was nothing like Jerry. Jerry was like a true father to Floyd. The father he wish he'd have been born with. Jerry was a best pal, fellow guitarist, and a father to Floyd. But now....now he's gone. Now Floyd didn't know what to do with his life. He considered suicide, but that would just be stupidity beyond all comparison. Not only would he be leaving his own life, but also leaving his true life. His friends. His long time bandmates. His true love, Janice.

"So I figured I'd stay up here and calm myself down before I really got into pain," Floyd explained. "What are you guys doing up here anyways?" "Talking to Jim and Richard," Janice explained. Floyd looked puzzled and replied "I thought they died years ago." "No, not like that man," Dr. Teeth said. "The stars. The stars are our guides to seeing our "fathers" again. Ya know, just seeing how they're doing in the heavens above." "Rully," Janice chimed in and soon turned her attention back into the stars.

She soon turned back at Floyd and said "Floyd....Richard just told me something." "What?" Floyd asked as he wrapped an arm around her waist. "Jerry," Janice said. "He's up there, like now. I mean if you wanna talk to him." "How am I gonna do that?" Floyd asked. "Just look up, man. Then you'll see him," Dr. Teeth said.

Floyd then looked up at dazzling sky. An array of stars just right above the three. "Je...Jerry?" Floyd asked. "You're up there, right man? I mean....I miss you so much. You're like....everything to me. And...I'm glad I can still be able to see you...even if it's not really on Earth. Did Jim and Richard lead you here? Yeah. That's what Dr. T and Jan told me. They're here, too. Don't worry, I'll come every week to see you. Whether it's just to reminisce with Dr. T or snuggle with Janice, I promise. You mean everything to me, man. I'm here for you, just as much as you were there for me.....I miss you, man."

He then got out his bass guitar and played an instrumental bass guitar piece he personally wrote. Though, he's not the greatest in writing music, unlike Dr. Teeth, this, the band thought, was his best work. As he played, Janice laid on Floyd's shoulder and Dr. Teeth put an arm around him. "You're gonna make him proud someday, my friend," Dr. Teeth said. "I promise I will. No matter what it is," Floyd said. "Like, that's the same thing we said when our "fathers" died," Janice said. "No matter what we do, we like, make them proud of what we've accomplished." "And what we're going to accomplish, baby," Floyd said as he gave a quick kiss onto Janice's cheek. "Who knows what this future's going to bring." "It'll be rocky at first without him, man," Dr. Teeth said. "But you'll get used to it. All you just gotta do....is look up." "And he'll be there," Janice said. "Fer sure."

R.I.P Jim Henson, Richard Hunt, and Jerry Nelson
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really wanted to include Jim Henson and Richard Hunt in here, too. A big reason why I also included Dr. Teeth and Janice in this oneshot. I could've thought of a better title, but this was all I could come up with. :smirk:

Anyways, R.I.P, to Jim Henson :smile: :sympathy: :big_grin: , Richard Hunt :wink: :grr: :flirt:, and Jerry Nelson :fishy: :crazy: :sing: . All three of you are deeply missed.

MissMusical12

Reaction score
This really warmed my heart. I loved the way that they referred to their performers as "Fathers" it gave it such a heart-felt feel. Hugs to you and thanks for the story.
Thank you. :smile: Your comment really warmed my heart.

MollyArriba

Reaction score
Great. Now I'm crying.

This is a beautiful concept, man. I've always imagined Janice and Dr. Teeth, waiting for Zoot, Floyd, and Animal to join them at wherever Jim and Richard went so they could get the band back together. It's sort of comforting to know that Janice has her Floyd back. :')

MissMusical12

Reaction score
Great. Now I'm crying.

This is a beautiful concept, man. I've always imagined Janice and Dr. Teeth, waiting for Zoot, Floyd, and Animal to join them at wherever Jim and Richard went so they could get the band back together. It's sort of comforting to know that Janice has her Floyd back. :')
I know. I originally had a concept where Dr. Teeth and Janice were waiting up in the heavens for Floyd, Zoot and Animal to come. That was my original concept before I thought of this idea instead.

MollyArriba

Reaction score
I know. I originally had a concept where Dr. Teeth and Janice were waiting up in the heavens for Floyd, Zoot and Animal to come. That was my original concept before I thought of this idea instead.
Man. Both Jim and Richard died before I was born. It's an odd feeling, having a Muppeteer and losing him. It's hard not to miss them.

Bridget

Reaction score
Do you think we're allowed to do poems for fanfics?