Just because I like to stir things up a bit, I present to you... Survey Madness!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
You can lower your premiums by going with the least amount of liability necessary for your laws, limit the coverages (do you need collision and comprehensive, or medical payments if you have a hospitalization insurance somewhere?). It was a great idea to have your dad added on your insurance which we do in our office a lot to decrease the premiums of customers' insurance, that and if they don't have their own prior insurance, and they drive for a business, I'll use that business insurance as prior to give them that discount.

anathema

Reaction score
Minimum liability is third-party cover. The car's worth enough to justify having fully comprehensive cover, which currently comes to around £400 a year. The reason it's so high is a combination of my age, the car's engine size, and my postcode (zipcode to you). I get windscreen/glass cover in there, plus a few other odds'n'sods. Medical isn't really an issue over here, since we have the NHS. That's not saying it's a bad idea to have some extra cover, but in the event of a hospitalisation, I still wouldn't have to worry about the bill.

I don't live in a bad area of the city, but my postcode gets lumped in with some rougher areas adjacent to me. It was actually cheaper to insure the car for the city center, where it's more at risk from some drunk wanting a wing mirror!

And amazingly, there are still some insurers out there who don't think I'm old enough to be driving "such a powerful car"! (It's a 1.8) This is the first year my premium's been sub-£500 since I bought the car four-and-a-half years ago :-( I've been driving for more than ten years, had a full license for nine and my own car (and full no-claims bonus) for the last seven. Go figure...

Of course, the technical term for insurance is a "sucker bet", but if it was called that, noone'd buy it... :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by anathema
I don't live in a bad area of the city, but my postcode gets lumped in with some rougher areas adjacent to me. It was actually cheaper to insure the car for the city center, where it's more at risk from some drunk wanting a wing mirror!
Does your father live in Scotland as well? You should have your agent "quote" you insurance for different addresses to see where it is cheapest, and have your vehicle rated there.

With our customers, if I have someone who is in a bad part of town, and their sister-n-law has a house in a nearby city, I'll rate them at THAT addrss instead to get them a cheaper rate, but their bill goes there and I tell them they have to remember to pay their premiums on time. That might help get the premium down some too.

anathema

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
Does your father live in Scotland as well? You should have your agent "quote" you insurance for different addresses to see where it is cheapest, and have your vehicle rated there.

With our customers, if I have someone who is in a bad part of town, and their sister-n-law has a house in a nearby city, I'll rate them at THAT addrss instead to get them a cheaper rate, but their bill goes there and I tell them they have to remember to pay their premiums on time. That might help get the premium down some too.
No, he lives 200 miles to the south :smile: Anyway, that would be illegal - I'm the registered keeper of the vehicle, so it has to be insured to my address.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
It's probably different there by law. I stay 10% of the time at my mom's house in Mississippi, and so have my vehicle rated on her policy with me as main driver of my car at her house there. Plus, I have "gap insurance" which isn't offered in Tennessee.

anathema

Reaction score
Yeah, very different! If I did that, the insurance would be in my father's name, and despite me being the main/only driver, I wouldn't accumulate any no-claims bonus. This is a particularly irritating thing - I wan on my dad's insurance and drove his car for two years before I bought my first one, yet that doesn't count towards the bonus :-(

The main problem is simply that I drive what the insurer's think is a high-risk car. Complete nonsense, of course!

wockawocka

Reaction score
1. What time is it? 8:37pm

2. Number of candles that appeared on your last birthday cake: i'm not sure, but i'm 14 years old

3. Date that you regularly blow them out? well, my birthday is July 3rd, 1988

4. Pets: none

5. Eye color: brown

6. Real/Died hair color: light brown/dark brown

7. Piercings: none

8. Tattoos: none

9. How much do you love your job? i don't have a job, but school is okay

10. Favorite color: orange

11. Current residence: Champaign, IL

12. Favorite food: pizza & mashed potatoes

13. Been to Africa? nope

14. Been toilet papering? nope

15. Loved somebody so much it made you cry? yeah

16. Been in a car accident? nope

a. been hit while walking? nope
b. been hit by a car while riding your bike? nope

17. Croutons or bacon bit? bacon bits
18. Sprite or 7UP? sprite

19. Favorite movie? The Muppet Movie, A Walk to Remember, & Legally Blonde

20. Favorite Holiday? dunno

21. Favorite day of the week? friday, usually

22. Favorite word or phrase: wocka wocka! heehee

23. Favorite Restaurant: don't really have one

24. Favorite Drink: wild cherry pepsi, dutch hot chocolate, & water

25. Favorite sport to watch: volleyball & basketball

26. Preferred type of ice cream: moose tracks or chocolate chip cookie dough

27. Favorite Sesame Street Character: Big Bird (& Ernie, Bert, and Grover)

28. Disney or Warner Bros? WB (but both are fine)

29. Favorite Fast food restaurant: umm... i dunno

30. When was your last hospital visit? for me? when i was born

31. What color is your bedroom carpet? dark blue

32. How many times did you fail your driver's test? none, i'm 14

33. Have you ever been convicted of a crime? nope

34. Which single store would you choose to max out your credit card? probably Wet Seal or Alloy

35. What do you do most often when you are bored? hang out with friends, watch tv, read, listen to music, chat online, check my e-mail

36. Most annoying thing people ask me/say to me? i can't really think of anything right now, so i guess that i look like my parents

37. Bedtime: don't have one, but on school nights, i usually go to bed around 10

38. Last Movie you saw: umm... Mr. Deeds

39. Do you prefer Theater or movie: depends on the movie, sad movies at home, i like to cry alone

40. Time when you finished this: 8:47pm

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by anathema
I always get kinda freaked when I'm the passenger in a left-hand drive car - I'm sitting in the front seat, door to my right, gear shift to my left, and this gaping space where the rest of the controls should be! :eek: And the driver kept banging his left hand against his door every time he reached for the gearshift that wasn't there... :smile:
LOL!

Gonzo

Reaction score
1. What time is it? 11:38 P.M.
2. Number of candles that appeared on your last birthday cake: 29
3. Date that you regularly blow them out? Quinnmas (June12)
4. Pets: ALL DEAD
5. Eye color: Blue
6. Real/Dyed hair color: Dirty Blonde
7. Piercings: None, but I would.
8. Tattoos: None...looking for the right bar code.
9. How much do you love your job? I'd kick it out of bed for eating cookies.
10. Favorite color: Midnight Blue: Crayola 721D
11. Current residence: Townhome with Melissa & Miles
12. Favorite food: Mashed Potatoes and Graby
13. Been to Africa? I tried, but no.
14. Been toilet papering? Ho yeah. With Marshmallow Creme and Vienna Sausages.
15. Loved somebody so much it made you cry? Yup
16. Been in a car accident? Yup
a. been hit by a car while walking? Little Bit
b. been hit by a car while riding your bike? Little Bit
17. Croutons or bacon bit? CROUTONS
18. Sprite or 7UP? Cokie
19. Favorite movie? The Empire Strikes Back
20. Favorite Holiday? Quinnmas or Melissatine's Day or New Miles Day
21. Favorite day of the week? Days with Melissa and Miles
22. Favorite word or phrase: "I have a bad feeling about this."
23. Favorite Restaurant: Cafe Rio
24. Favorite Drink: Coca-Cola, unfortunately
25. Favorite sport to watch: Basketball
26. Preferred type of ice cream: Baskin-Robbins World Class Chocolate
27. Favorite Sesame Street Character: Today? Grover.
28. Disney or Warner Bros? WB
29. Favorite Fast food restaurant: Wendy's
30. When was your last hospital visit? Fall 2001 I had a vestigial tail cut out of my back. Spring 2002 I had a baby. Really, my wife did, but I visited.
31. What color is your bedroom carpet? grey-blue
32. How many times did you fail your driver's test? One time, Daddio.
33. Have you ever been convicted of a crime? Yup.
34. Which single store would you choose to max out your credit card? Target
35. What do you do most often when you are bored? Doodle
36. Most annoying thing people ask me/say to me? "How much money did you win?"
37. Bedtime: 2:00 AM
38. Last Movie you saw: "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"
39. Do you prefer Theater or movie: Movies
40. Time when you finished this: 11:46

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn