Just Two Green Guys Playing the Banjo...

Joggy

Reaction score
Originally posted by Foreignman
No way! Proove it!!! Old brown ears? Joggy, was Rowlf in any way the inspiration for learning to play the ivories?
Ol' Brown Ears played the banjo in the Linda Ronstadt episode of TMS, accompanying himself in the song "The Cat Came Back". There's photos of this in the book "Of Muppets And Men", and the scene can be found on the '80s Playhouse video "Rowlf's Rhapsodies With the Muppets." A must for Rowlf fans (*KABOOM!* "Gesuntheit!").

My music history... Actually I was inspired by Animal to become a drummer, but both my parents and my music teacher thought it better, music-wise, for me to study a musical instrument instead of a rhythmical one. No idea why it became the piano... we bought one from friends and both me and my mom started playing. Mom stopped, I went on.

I didn't really have full appreciation for the piano untill I learned to play pop song improvisations - from that happy day I left the music sheets, anything was possible! Around that time TMS was back on the air here, and I noticed all the wonderful things Rowlf did. It was then I decided I wanted to be a true Ol' Brown Ears.

Nowadays I play improvs, write a song or two, and accompany other people - kinda like Rowlf. People actually refer to me as Rowlf because they think I look like a Muppet swayin' behind the keys!

Rowlf, among others, also inspired me to play the harmonica... (Muppet Movie)

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Ben-o! Good choice with the banjo. When you get to a stable point, you must learn to play "Tomorrow" from the Muppet Show (and I'm sure other places which I haven't heard it). That is such a fun song...confusing, but fun nonetheless! Good Luck buck-o! :big_grin:

-Matt

puppetguy

Reaction score
I discovered "Tomorrow" on an old Kingston Trio record..and there's actually a verse that the Muppets did not use in their rendition of the song. The song was written by Bob Gibson, a popular 60's folk performer.

Which brings me to avatars....Foreignman, I would love an avatar of the Muppet Jim playing the banjo, if its possible.

I have a theory, and we all know that Jim never played a musical instrument, but if he did, it probably would have been the banjo, since most of his characters play one; (Rowlf, Kermit, Muppet Jim, Jim's character in the second season Jug Band) and it is so prevalent in Muppet music....T.R Rooster from Muppet Musicians of Bremen, Yancy Woodchuck and Charlie Muskrat from Emmet Otter.. I think my favorite Muppet/banjo moment is from the Muppet Show with Leo Sayer. Bobby Benson on the banjo and Animal on drums as the only accompaniment (with a subtle bass-line) for Leo's song...and its a very weird song.

Well, maybe I just think about the banjo too much.
David

Foreignman

Reaction score
Originally posted by DramaQueen86
i myself am a saxophone player, alto sax to be correct. however i can play very little on the piano, and i really really really want to learn guitar, and violin. (blue grass runs through my vains!! i kind you not!!!:cool: )

hehe, any way, maybe when ya'll learn the banjo, i'll have my fiddle ready and we can start a band!!!! :big_grin: hehe
Yes! Let's start a Muppet fan jug band!! And we can spend Christmas together! In the form of Otters!! Someone, please call me some help, ALL MUPPETS AND NO PLAY MAKES BEN A DULL BOY. ALL MUPPETS AND NO PLAY MAKES BEN A DULL BOY. ALL MUPPETS AND NO PLAY MAKES BEN A DULL BOY.

Originally posted by Joggy
Ol' Brown Ears played the banjo in the Linda Ronstadt episode of TMS, accompanying himself in the song "The Cat Came Back". There's photos of this in the book "Of Muppets And Men", and the scene can be found on the '80s Playhouse video "Rowlf's Rhapsodies With the Muppets." A must for Rowlf fans (*KABOOM!* "Gesuntheit!").

My music history... Actually I was inspired by Animal to become a drummer, but both my parents and my music teacher thought it better, music-wise, for me to study a musical instrument instead of a rhythmical one. No idea why it became the piano... we bought one from friends and both me and my mom started playing. Mom stopped, I went on.

I didn't really have full appreciation for the piano untill I learned to play pop song improvisations - from that happy day I left the music sheets, anything was possible! Around that time TMS was back on the air here, and I noticed all the wonderful things Rowlf did. It was then I decided I wanted to be a true Ol' Brown Ears.

Nowadays I play improvs, write a song or two, and accompany other people - kinda like Rowlf. People actually refer to me as Rowlf because they think I look like a Muppet swayin' behind the keys!

Rowlf, among others, also inspired me to play the harmonica... (Muppet Movie)
Wow Joggy, so you're not some sort of pathalogical liar who makes up Muppety lies wherever he goes. I wish I could hear some of your improvisational piano-playing, sounds so... musically free. Thanks for sharing all of your musical-Muppet-inspirations!

Originally posted by Cantus Rock
Ben-o! Good choice with the banjo. When you get to a stable point, you must learn to play "Tomorrow" from the Muppet Show (and I'm sure other places which I haven't heard it). That is such a fun song...confusing, but fun nonetheless! Good Luck buck-o! :big_grin:

-Matt
Yes sir Mr. Matt! "Tommorow" is now officially on my list of songs to learn, along with "Rainbow Connection", "Dueling Banjos" and "Oh Susanna" (just so I can play like the banjoist at the beginning of Pirates of the Carribean in Disney Land).

Originally posted by puppetguy
Which brings me to avatars....Foreignman, I would love an avatar of the Muppet Jim playing the banjo, if its possible.

I have a theory, and we all know that Jim never played a musical instrument, but if he did, it probably would have been the banjo, since most of his characters play one; (Rowlf, Kermit, Muppet Jim, Jim's character in the second season Jug Band) and it is so prevalent in Muppet music....T.R Rooster from Muppet Musicians of Bremen, Yancy Woodchuck and Charlie Muskrat from Emmet Otter...
Puppetguy, I searched and searched online and couldn't find any picture of the Jim Muppet playing the banjo :frown:. "Oh... too bad...", I said, and went on my way without a care. Then I realized... I said "Chuck", that's what I call myself in my head, "Chuck", I said "That's not the way of the Muppets! To give up! To not help a fellow fan to make life on the forum a little funner... So I got to work creating something that would look alot like the Jim Henson Muppet playing the banjo. No, I didn't draw it myself with crayon... Well, you'll see... If you give me your E-mail address I'll send it to you right away.

Foreignman

Reaction score
Hey Puppetguy, never got your e-mail address I've still got the avatar waiting... So just post your address when you get the chance.

DramaQueen86

Reaction score
that looks great!!!!!

hey, while you guys are talking about avatars, i need some help w/mine. i dont know how to set it up. i have a pic but i need instructions on how to use it.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

Foreignman

Reaction score
Hey DramaQueen86, first click user cp at the upper left hand side of the Muppet Central browser. Now, from your user control panel select "Edit Options". At the bottom of your options lies "Avatar", click on "Change Avatar", enter the avatar you would like to use in the field that applies and then "submit modifications". If you do it all correctly, you'll have an avatar!