Just when you thought kids' programming couldn't get any stranger....

Drtooth

Reaction score
It speaks to the relative obscurity of this cartoon... but I'm shocked no one ever had a problem with this guy...

And he wasn't at ALL subtle. In fact, one of the lines he says in the first episode, while checking out the house the aliens had to live in...

"Look at the size of this closet! I could live in here my whole life and never have to come out."

robodog

Reaction score
It had a pretty good theme song too if I recall.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dude even mentioned he had a date with another dude in one episode. Any other show said that, there would be maniacs marching about trying to ban the thing. It was THAT unpopular! It was also one of my favorites.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I read an article about this, and it seems like the controversy is overblown. If anything, it seems like the show will be able to attack and take apart stereotypes of both males and females.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can tell you this much... if they're planning any merchandising of this particular show, there's going to be the real problem.

Do they make toys for girls, toys for boys? Both?!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ah yes, I saw the promo for this show this morning...interesting, lol. The promo said he's dressed like a girl, that sounds like crossing dressing to me but they might have just been trying to explain the concept to kids without making it complicated. I'd have to watch an actual episode to be sure.

If the show addressed gender stereotypes that would certainly be intriguing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This show actually already started quite some time ago in Australia (It's an Australian/Canadian co production), so I was able to check out the first episode.

Proof no one bothered watching, Guy beco0mes Shezow because he was essentially screwing around his dead aunt's transformation ring, and it gets permanently affixed to him, and he can't get it off. He's kind of a wanna be alpha male kid, watches a clear parody of a certain stupid MTV stunt show (that's no longer relevant, though), and he doesn't so much like being turned into a girl so much as he likes being the superhero and barely tolerates having to dress up as a girl. And above all, he's clearly just cross dressing, not turning completely into a girl. Also his father is a cop that freaking hates Shezow, and his sister (who was there when he first transformed) is both loving seeing her brother forced to be a girl superhero and completely jealous because she wanted to take up the mantle... but again, couldn't because Guy was too busy acting like a jerk and accidentally activated it.

So basically, he's the victim of a clingy macguffin. Nothing sinister or mind warping about that.

It's a pretty good show, everything's clearly tongue in cheek. They use the suffix "she" to make a lot of purposely tortured puns. It's pretty obvious they're being sarcastic about it. There's a really annoyingly long eye catch. Hopefully the Hub will cut it for time.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Oh ow...I'm sorry, DrT but I disagree. This show is painful to watch. It might be tongue in cheek, but obviously no one told the writers that throwing a constant stream of puns at the viewer is not cute. It's annoying. I can't bring myself to watch another episode. And that theme song is ear grating. The commercial cut segments are also incredibly too long and they were too lazy to actually give variation. I'm sorry...but we do not have to see the same repetitive animation sequence four times per episode.

I would like to make it clear I do not have a problem with the concept, ts the quality and writing of the show I have a problem with.

At least the animation is decent enough.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've seen worse.

Much worse.

It's better than Johnny Test, I'll give it that.

BeakerJanice

Reaction score
Other noteworthy "cross-dressing" roles: Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie, Robin Williams as Mrs. Doubtfire, and Kevin McDonald as Wendy Pleakley (who is male, but frequently disguises himself as a woman) in the Lilo & Stitch franchise.

Even during the Shakespearean era, the women's roles were portrayed by adolescent men, because it was considered a breach of custom for women to perform on stage.
Oh yeah ;D Pleakley dresses himself more as a woman than a man..Disney uses like in Mulan more the cross-dressing things.z