Kermit and Ernie

Censored

Reaction score
bobhopesite said:
Kermit and Ernie sound alike. Well they were both performed by the same person. But Does Kermit talk to Ernie. Has Kermit ever talked to Ernie?
:smile: :stick_out_tongue:

Good question. As far as I can recall, Kermit and Ernie never interacted. (However, with so many skits in 35 years, we might have missed a time or two when it did happen). They've had other muppets that were done by the same performer interact, such as Big Bird and Oscar, when it was needed. I think they just never really had a scenario for Kermit and Ernie to make it worth the trouble.

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
The only time I can think of when Kermit and Ernie were together was in the DoDeRubber Duck skit.

King Jim

Reaction score
Don_Music_2004 said:
The only time I can think of when Kermit and Ernie were together was in the DoDeRubber Duck skit.
I remember that skit the other day. Kermit and Ernie were beside each other singing. :smile: :stick_out_tongue:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Don_Music_2004 said:
Yeah. I was going to mention that one. Also, don't forget they both had singing lines in the "Somebody's Getting Married" song at the end of TMTM.

Anyway, the earliest Kermit voice I can remember was probably the first time he sung "Bein' Green." It seems like Kermit sounded more like Ernie early on. I thought it was later when he had more of a frog-like voice. Maybe I'll have to listen more carefully.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think all the way back, and Kermit just never sounded like Ernie totally to me.

Splurge

Reaction score
I remember hearing Jim Henson himself say in an interview that although some characters by the same Muppeteer could interact, he generally avoided characters like Dr. Teeth and Rowlf in a dialogue with one another because the voices were too similar. He demonstrated the voices as he spoke. I don't know if he specifically included Ernie and Kermit in the same example, but it stands to reason that it's why they didn't interact.

Now, of course, Jim had no problem with Rowlf and Kermit singing and harmonizing. Or Kermit and the Swedish Chef having a conversation. (Not that they equally understood each other.)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Splurge said:
he generally avoided characters like Dr. Teeth and Rowlf in a dialogue with one another because the voices were too similar.
This all sounds familiar to me, too.
-------------------
Just for fun:

:big_grin: Hey, Rowlf! You mockin' me?!
:sympathy: Well, I wouldn't think of it!
:big_grin: That's my line!
:sympathy: So, that's MY voice!!

:mad: I don't understand any of this...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, Dr. teeth and Rowlf sound very similar, but Dr. Teeth has a slower, jazzier way of talking. "Well alllllriiiiiiight... heh heh heh"

Rowlf however, is more folksy, like a piano player at a bar (which is what he was in TMM).

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
There is an old sketch with Ernie and Cookie Monster and they are trying to think about things about them that are the same, but they can only find different things, Then a Green AM with a coat on and spiky Black hair comes up and tells them some things about them are different and some are the same. They then ask who he is, and Ernie says, "your hair is just like Berts, are you Bert? and Cookie says "He has Coat like Sherlock Hemlock, are you Sherlock Hemlock?" Then Ernie says "your'e green like Kermit the Frog, are you Kermit the Frog???"
:stick_out_tongue: :smile: :stick_out_tongue: :smile: :stick_out_tongue:

Fighbird

Reaction score
Now this is stretching my brain here, because I only saw it when it aired originally - but didn't Ernie and Kermit interact in the 30 years special?