1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Kermit and Miss Piggy Officially Split!

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by RealWonderman, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Rugratskid

Rugratskid Active Member

When I first heard of this, the first 2 words that came to mind were "publicity stunt". :p

Katzi428 likes this.
  2. Beth C

Beth C Active Member

I, for one, never care for publicity stunts. They always have the opposite of the desired effect. I'm so ticked I won't watch the new show now.

Kermit & Piggy 4-ever!

3. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well I will give the new show a chance, but I'm with Beth on saying Kermit and Piggy forever!

4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I just don't see the show working on the premise of Kermit and Piggy being in a happy relationship. They need to build to get that back, and that's going to add to this series.

5. Beth C

Beth C Active Member

For some reason I have this image in my head -

Setting - Kermit and Piggy's home, the one seen in the Muppets Movie. Kermit, dressed in a bathrobe, sitting at his desk in front of a computer.

Piggy walks into the room, also in a bathrobe over a nightgown; carrying two cups of coffee. She places one down on the desk and sips from the other as she watches Kermit scrolling the web and reading all the news stories about the "breakup".

Kermit turns to look at her and gives her a small smile. She leans down and they share a sweet kiss - the only light in the room falling upon them from the monitor.

Yeah, the breakup isn't real. It's a joke. A joke on us. Nope, not buying it. Disney/ABC will not break up the best Muppet couple. Happily ever after for my Kermie and Piggy.

6. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

They're probably want to make this part of the show. The show is supposed to be a parody of reality shows, so they'd probably want to tie real life into the reality show. Does that make sense? I have no idea how to explain what I'm saying lol

Duke Remington likes this.
  7. lady piggy

lady piggy Well-Known Member

Is it sad that when I heard they "broke up" I was like HA!So admit it Frog ,y'all were a thingXD But really this...it's just sad a stunt like this really?Im sure they will get together in the new show but this wasn't necessary .Also Pig and Frog for life <3 I'd rather see them show how it is to be in a healthy normal relationship(well I wouldn't say normal but one were they have their good moments and then some bad ,no relationship is perfect) then an on again off again one,it's 2015 for Petes sake!Tired of having their relationship be showed in the worst light ever ,all everyone thinks is "why are they even together?"because all we see are fighting and whatnot.I want some old fashion The Muppet Movie date scene were You literally feel the chemistry.But tis my opinion :)

8. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that Kermit and Piggy are destined to be the new Ross and Rachel. 'Friends' just keeps coming to mind.

And if that's the case, I can't wait to see it play out!!

Duke Remington and ElizaSchuyler like this.
  9. MUPPETFAN1976

MUPPETFAN1976 Active Member

That's exactly what i'm thinking.
    It's probably some plot to promote the new show. (which i am hyped about the new show)

Piggy & Kermit Forever!

10. LeanneFuller

LeanneFuller Active Member

I am a little disappointed with Disney over this.

As an adult I can see the benefit of the good plot line, Ross & Rachel etc; and don't get me wrong the candid on and off relationship played out between the pair on The Muppet Show and the films was always spirited but resolved within 30 - 90 mins.

However, I feel a public display is irresponsible to their younger audience. Disney wouldn't do this to Mickey and Minnie or kill off Tinkerbell by releasing a press statement that the magic kingdom no longer believes in fairies.

Would be interesting to hear Frank Oz's take on this

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    MUPPETFAN1976 likes this.
  11. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I'm willing to bet there's going to be a storyline where it turns out they're legally married from MTM and never realized it over all these years.

12. Beth C

Beth C Active Member

Hmmm... I feel a fanfic brewing.....

Kermie & Piggy 4-Ever!!

ElizaSchuyler and LeanneFuller like this.
  13. LeanneFuller

LeanneFuller Active Member

Love this idea

charlietheowl likes this.
  14. Iscah

Iscah Active Member

It's certainly a publicity stunt, but I also think it's probably-necessary setup for the new show. Partly, as someone above suggested, to keep with the "reality show" illusion, but also because some (many?) people would be confused if they don't actually see the breakup, but the show begins after it... So by establishing the fact beforehand via social media, they can skip it and launch straight into the post-breakup plot from the start of the series.

Katzi428 and LeanneFuller like this.
  15. Beth C

Beth C Active Member

"reality-show illusion" Gotta love those 3 words. Reality shows are anything BUT reality.

Keeping up with the Crapdashians is one example of "reality illusion". I really hope they do better with this than that lousy show. I just wish it wasn't the format they are going to use.

Show, then break away to comments then show, then break away.. Not crazy about that.

16. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

And because the photo book version of MTM includes the cut scene of Gonzo telling Kermit the marriage was real. Because even without that scene, it's clear what the movie is implying by Piggy's giggle to Kermit. She didn't replace Gonzo with some random actor. That wouldn't make much sense as a plot point or a joke. She replaced him with a real minister. And because Piggy calls Kermit "hubby" in the 30th anniversary special. Our "headcanon" has more than enough precedent. ;)

Now that's publicity worth checking out! :confused::eek:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  17. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Uh oh! These fictional characters are doing something! How dare they!

18. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

The response here is silly. Why are people taking this to heart?

The Muppets have merely promoted the premise of their new show at the TV upfronts.

Kermit and Miss Piggy always had a strained relationship on the Muppet Show. Why should this one be any different? This keeps things fresh and interesting instead of what's happened for the last several years with this stale relationship stuff. This is the best thing that's happened to the Muppets in years.

#TeamKermit! Hehe. :)

19. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Most all Muppet fans that post on here know that they are fictional characters, and that they are puppets. However they still believe in the relationships because they are so believable. I for one have loved the Kermit and Piggy dynamic in every show and movie they have done together, and if this breakup leads to more depth in there relationship then I'm all for it.

I also have changed my signature in support for the couple.

20. ChickyBoy37

ChickyBoy37 Well-Known Member

As Kermit once said on the Jim Henson hour, He and Piggy never had that kind of relationship!

Duke Remington likes this.