1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 47
    Sesame Street's 47th season officially began Saturday January 7 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Kermit and Miss Piggy Officially Split!

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by RealWonderman, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Ladywarrior

Ladywarrior Well-Known Member

oh good grief. let people be upset. it's like celebrities. like when your favorite hollywood couples break up. you get upset. it's not your life or anything but you still get upset.

2. Iscah

Iscah Active Member

Yes, and no. Celebrities are real people, and a breakup is a real breakup. There's no larger narrative they're following. We have no idea what will happen to them in the future. Whereas for Kermit and Piggy, we can know that this is one step in a story arc, and look forward to their (highly probable) reunion.

(Yes, you are entitled to feel upset. I just want to point out that there is also a reason to not feel so upset - not in a "you shouldn't be" but in a "don't worry, this is temporary and it will get better" way.)

dwayne1115 likes this.
  3. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Yeah. I know what you mean because I checked imdb.com the other day and Kermit the Frog himself had a profile, talking about the actual Kermit the Frog rather than Steve Whitmire. I liked the ALF comparison too. I actually never knew that Paul played him until years later.

4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

There's a longwinded rant anyone can give about the state of the news media and goofy little uplifting side stories and entertainment news being tacked on. I say, if anyone feels this is the unnewsworthy puff piece story that broke that, they've been living under a rock. This story was meant to be spread around as a fun little thing to get interest in the series and to establish why Kermit's with Denise instead of his iconic partner. Some of us do indeed want to play along knowing it's the fictitious relationship of fictitious characters. By all means anyone can agree/disagree with this publicity stunt, it's that some are taking it waaay too seriously that's a turn off.

Actually, I almost believe that the Kermit and Piggy split is less orchestrated than some of the carefully crafted by PR agents breakups they put on the news. :D

But yeah. I get that some people have real personal ownership and some are just annoyed Disney would bother doing this. Some are taking it way too seriously. The conversation shouldn't be "OMG teh Dizzney is evil because Kermit and Piggy were always a couple because deleted scene in a comic book adaption of MTM." The conversation should be "is this a good idea or a bad idea from a marketing standpoint, and will this get the interest in the show it's trying to get," and, "I like/don't like this knowing that it's all fiction anyway."

I'm shocked that anyone who actually caught the plot synopsis, teaser, trailer, and finally the actual pilot pitch and already knew that the couple broke up and it's a major plot point are so shocked this is a thing. There's a difference between feeling upset because they feel this is a stupid stunt, and taking it personally because childhood. There was never any Muppet canon no matter how much the last 2 movies tried. Piggy and Kermit were only an official couple in the 80's, when there really wasn't much Muppet media outside of a TV special and an alternate age cartoon series. Even then, they've been on again off again since the 90's. Don't see why that's a problem, unless it's a general "everything not done by Jim himself is awful" complaint.

Duke Remington likes this.
  5. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

You mean Muppet Show? The jokes about weight weren't too bad there because they were usually in retaliation for Piggy's diva attitude. All the characters had their quirks and got picked on and it was just a charmingly dysfunctional showbiz family. Plus you knew Piggy could give as good as she got. The weight jokes in the 90s and 2000s weren't executed quite the same way and made it seem like it was the gang vs. Piggy.

cjd874 likes this.
  6. heralde

Kermit and Piggy are your classic "will they/won't they?" dynamic. That isn't the same thing as "the relationship wasn't mutual." People can have mutual feelings but let a ton of things get in the way.

7. heralde

And because why would Piggy replace Gonzo with some random guy unless he was actually a minister? Was Gonzo just that bad an actor? :concern:

Plus, again, 30th anniversary special. ;)

I don't even mind this break up thing that much, it's all in good fun. Just wanted to clear that MTM thing up. :)

8. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

In the comic book adaptation, Gonzo is actually the one who brought in the minister. At one point when the Muppets are trying to cure Kermit's amnesia, Miss Piggy asks Gonzo if he found a doctor, Gonzo says "No, but I found a minister!"

heralde likes this.
  9. heralde

Exactly, and again, you don't even need that explanation from Gonzo for it to be implied.

10. LeanneFuller

LeanneFuller Active Member

fan fiction brining Skeeter back and knock some sense into the pair of them :)

heralde likes this.
  11. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I never thought of it as Miss Piggy being behind it. I thought it was Gonzo being weird/thinking that the show needed a real minister to play a minister (even if Gonzo was supposed to play him).

Hmm, and until now, I never thought that maybe Miss Piggy told Gonzo to find a real minister. In the comic book adaptation, when Gonzo tells them, after the play, that it was a real minister, Piggy seems as surprised as Kermit (even if she nervously chuckled when Kermit pointed out to her that Gonzo was supposed to play the minister).

12. heralde

Ah I see. Well Piggy doesn't seem surprised in the film version. And you could argue she simply took advantage of the minister being there, hehe.

13. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

I would argue that in the Muppets didn't have the kind of continual pressence in the 90's and 2000's that they enjoyed in the Muppet Show days in order to make the jokes against her resonate in the same spirit of the early 80's. But yeah, it did come off as meaner. :mad::o

heralde likes this.
  14. Beth C

Beth C Active Member

Yup, she did. And Kermit *knew* what having a real minister there would mean. That's why he hesitated and gulped.

But he said "I do." Then there is that kiss afterwards up by the moon...

Yeah he loves her. Deep down, he can't live without her. That's also why he was sad in the 2011 Muppets movie. He was alone in "their" house. He kept her picture covered because looking at it made him ache.

Ok.. Why were they apart in THAT movie?????

heralde likes this.
  15. Beth C

Beth C Active Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=117&v=8Q2WmzricHA

In this video, Kermit states they are married in their hearts even though they are not technically married. And that kiss at the end was sooo cute!!

He LOVES her. No Denise. He loves PIGGY.

They look good together too.

16. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Why the heck is Skeeter so important to everyone? I think Roger and Amy did a great job on the character in comic form, and I doubt any of the writers past or present would have done anything but make her "girl Scooter."

Remember. The Muppet Canon is there is no canon. If there was, Gonzo would still be an alien. :eek: EEK! Thank Glob for that not happening.

So if anyone's still that incredibly offended by this, think of it this way. The break up is only intended for this TV show, stunt publicity or not. There's no way they're not going to wind up back together at some point in the series. Relax. They didn't give Kermit midichlorians here.

Duke Remington and LeanneFuller like this.
  17. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

I still have that Muppets Family Reunion comic book where Skeeter had a major role. That would have been a great idea for the next chapter.

18. Ladywarrior

Ladywarrior Well-Known Member

I wonder how long the "break up" will last until they'e back together again? wanna make some bets?

19. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Great, a publicity stunt, kind of nice, but really we already knew this, but here is what everyone else has to say. Well at least if more people watch then it is nice publicty, and will get more people tuning in to view.

heralde likes this.
  20. heralde

By the end of the first season?