1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Kermit and Miss Piggy Officially Split!

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by RealWonderman, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Uh... Kermit and Gonzo hosted a night of TGIF? That was it, I guess.

Look. We want this show to succeed because that gives Disney a reason to push aside Frozen and Planes merchandising slightly so there can be a Muppet T-Shirt or something on store shelves. What Disney's doing here is a fun little stunt to drive up awareness for the series, which hinges on Kermit and Piggy's relationship being over. Why some of us glaze over the fact that it adds to the tension of the show which gives a genuine reason for casuals to watch is a matter of nostalgic character ownership and nothing else.

I get the feeling that Jim had the characters married off in the 80's to close a character arc (except for Muppet Babies where the TV Show level of dodginess of their relationship lived on), and was moving on to making Muppets secondary to more ambitious creature shop and Fraggle Rock style projects. Then there was the revelation of the "What could have been" of the "Pig of the 90's" break up. When it comes down to it, married Kermit and Piggy are boring, Will they or Won't they Kermit and Piggy is annoying and repetitive, but mutual break up is an interesting new angle.

Duke Remington and jvcarroll like this.
  2. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

I just think all of this has been completely over-analyzed. I guess that's what fan forums are for.

Do you know what secret purpose is behind all of the decisions in the show? Spoiler alert....

HUMOR! Nothing more and nothing less.

The Muppets were allowed to be more experimental in the days of Jim Henson and that seems to be what they're going back to, but some folk just want to see the characters retrace old steps because anything else would somehow taint their memories of these characters. No good writing can be accomplished under such restrictions. They're getting back to their roots.

Yay that.

Duke Remington and MuppetsRule like this.
  3. Drtooth

Plus, let's face it. The Frog and Pig need a shake up. That's why the more popular characters within parts of the fandom and most casuals gravitate more towards the Swedish Chef, Beaker, and other wackier, denser characters. Having them constantly fighting is boring, having them in a peaceful, mutual relationship is dull. They found the perfect medium here. And whatever happens in the course of the show, they have ways to draw this out for the sake of storytelling to keep it fresh.

Duke Remington and dwayne1115 like this.
  4. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

It seems like they broke up at the time of The Jim Henson Hour. In Miss Piggy's one MuppeTelevision appearance, after Piggy calls Kermit, Vicki remarks that "she dumped [him]", which Kermit protests trying to deny that they were a couple. In fact when Kermit asks to talk to her she at first seems to have forgotten him ("It's Kermit.(beat) the frog.")

5. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Duke Remington likes this.
  6. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

Miss Piggy & Kermit's on-again-off-again relationship was a staple of the Muppet Show. Actually, it was debatable whether or not Kermit was a willing participant sometimes. Shaking up these dynamics by having Piggy date one movie star after another makes things so incredibly fun.

7. Muppy

Muppy Well-Known Member

I don't understand why this is creating so much controversy. I would think that Miss Piggy and Kermit will get back together by the end of the series. And besides, their relationship has really been the same for years. We will get to see new sides to the characters, see them they evolve and we will get a new tension between the characters that will be really interesting to watch. When (or if) they do get back together we will see how much they have developed and how much they really need each other. At least that's how I see it ;)

8. Drtooth

That's why the relationship was interesting, if sometimes toxic. But that version of the relationship really seemed to be Muppet TV show exclusive, whereas the movies were always much sweeter. There wasn't the same tension in TMM, GMC, or MTM because that didn't fit into the plot of any of them. And that makes me wonder. For some, the movies were always more accessible than the TV show. Every Muppet movie (save the DTV fairy tale one) is readily available on DVD, where as there's only 3 of the show. Rebroadcasting the movies on television is a semi-regular thing, but TMS hasn't seen a TV run since the Odyssey channel.

Anyway, I tend to think that either extreme of the Kermit/Piggy relationship has been done to death one way or the other, but this show's mutual break up angle has some great potential for passive aggressiveness and longing to add to that relationship. May come out of the ordeal stronger. Not too fast, I hope.

Duke Remington and dwayne1115 like this.
  9. SpookyMania

SpookyMania Member

Looks like Kermit's been seen with another woman! (All joking aside, the new Denise puppet looks... no...)
    [​IMG]
    (source)

10. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Eh, I'd have to see her move. In that shot, it literally looks like Kermit is talking to a...well...a puppet!

11. SpookyMania

SpookyMania Member

There's a better shot in the article where she looks a little better but that shot... I think it's the size of the eyes. They're ridiculously disproportionate and it makes her looks, yeah, like a puppet. Here's hoping she has a talented performer taking over.

12. Muppy

Muppy Well-Known Member

Um ... I hope she looks better in the actual show. There's something about her that makes me uncomfortable. I liked it better when she looked like Spamela to be honest.

13. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

I agree, she looks kind of lifeless. Why's her head a whole different color from her body? Maybe I'll get used to her in the show.

14. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

15. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

16. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Well-Known Member

I must admit with this new design of Denise is the very first time that a Muppet kind of...well...freaked me out. I mean, I survived the first appearance of Snuffy and this one STILL did it for me. But looking at another photo of her, her look is growing a me a little bit. Hopefully on the show, it will grow A LOT more. But I do have to admit, I do like the idea that they built a new puppet rather than just recycling the Spamela Hamderson one, I honestly like that idea WAY WAAAAAAY better. Heck this way we can have BOTH Densie AND Spamela in the Muppet world and I for one, am totally down for that, especially since the Muppets could use more females and they can never have too many pigs. Like I said if her look grows on me a lot more in the show, than Denise is a home run in my book. And I must admit it that hopefulness that I'll like Denise more is actually making me EVEN MORE excited for the show, which I didn't think was possible.

17. Drtooth

Have to admit, if the nose were less small and the eyes were a little closer together, it would look a lot better. She kinda looks like a Bratz doll, but something tells me that's the point. Something tells me she's supposed to be a little vapid (didn't see the footage yet). If anything, it looks like she had extensive work done.

But she's not the least appealing looking love interest Kermit ever had. Don't make me invoke "Miss Mousy." Darn thing looked like a worn rag doll.

18. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well the puppet itself was pretty rough but I could see the potential of Kermit liking a girl who's more quiet and sweet but still talented, vs loud and brash Piggy. You could understand why Piggy would feel threatened.

19. Drtooth

Except they never explored the character much. There was some good potential for that sort of thing, but the character was barely used. Rough puppet (her 17th century peasant clothes especially) and no personality measure up to a disappointing waste. I guess they felt the love triangle angle was better with celebrity guests than prudishly dressed mice.

Duke Remington and heralde like this.
  20. Drtooth