Kermit at the MTV Video Music Awards

MWoO

Reaction score
Is there video anywhere?

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
If they're going to continue to serve fans crappy Kermit, why don't they just hire Will Forte and get it over with!

(... Will Forte played "Kermit" on an episode of SNL.)

He doesn't sound like Jim, he doesn't sound like Steve, he doesn't sound like Frank Welker, and he most certainly does not sound like Kermit. What is going on here? It's appaling to see that Steve Whitmire could possibly be replaced as Kermit, and it's just as appaling to see Kermit the Frog on a date with Lady Gaga!

I'm just going to tell myself that that's the reason Steve wasn't there. He couldn't stomach the thought of the frog sinking so low. That's what I'm going to keep telling myself, because no one will tell us anything! It's so frustrating!

(Insert tired, sad, grumpy, mumbling, muttering, exasperated Kermit smiley)
side note i hate will forte, i think that would stop me from liking the muppets forever

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's a wild thought....

What if... and this is just a wild hypothetical, Steve IS still with the Muppets but he's not going to be Kermit anymore, and just stick to his other characters? One problem I had with LTS was the inclusion of Rizzo in the group that went to the North Pole... Kermit was already there... and when you have a performer play 2 (or more) characters in the same scene, the performances get flattened out. Like in MFS when all of Frank's major characters were in one scene. Again, wild, out of the box hypothetical.

I wonder about Steve too... and unfortunately, we don't have anyone inside enough to tell us what's going on. The one thing I hope is that he didn't get fired, or get angry and quit.

I wonder if Artie is a replacement, or just an alternate. A LOT of Muppets have alternates... mostly on Sesame Street. John Tartaglia performed Ernie a couple times for "Play with Me Sesame," And Matt Vogel stepped in for Carol during the JTE segments (and a couple episodes).... so I wonder if this is just a case of a performer having to have a substitute for one of his characters while he does something else.... Didn't Carol have a Book Signing the same day as the Emmy Tribute to Mr. Rogers several years back?

As long as this isn't long term and Steve's back on the job, I'm not worried.... but this is 2 cases of it.

That said, I don't want to hurt Artie's feelings. I don't want him to think us fans will reject him if something happens. All I'm saying is practice.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
That said, I don't want to hurt Artie's feelings. I don't want him to think us fans will reject him if something happens. All I'm saying is practice.
I don't want to reject him either. But I will reject him as Kermit until I know that Steve absolutely could not be there. Until then, he's just the scapegoat for this--and yes, I feel bad for him, but no, I don't think he should continue if Steve is still willing and able to perform our frog.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That said, I just wanna say...

Kanye West is a legend in his own mind and I wish he understood that his opinions only matter to him. This offensive Rolling Stone cover sums up how highly he thinks of himself. He's gross and won't be remembered in 5 years. I'll move on now because I've already said too much.
Really... I had such high hopes for him 5 years or so ago. he sure didn't seem like the cartoonish negative ghetto black stereotype rap artist [conspiracy theory]that white people in the music business plant[/conspiracy theory] that keep saying how wonderful pimps and hos are. the same kinda stuff white suburban upperclass kids listen to because they think it's a sort of subculture, when it's just rich music producers putting on a show. I mean, anyone ever hear the song "Shake your Laffy Taffy?" Who here couldn't have wrote that on a trip to the bathroom? I was really looking up to him for not devaluing women, glorifying gang violence, and basically all the things corporate fake rap and hip hop are guilty of.

But his idiotic, self absorbed attitude and ego (something I'd compare to Hong Kong Phooey or Inspector Gadget... you know, delusional self worth) is just as bad, if not almost as bad as that crap. He let too many positive reviews go straight to his head... sorta reminds me of a Beetlejuice cartoon that I may just link to if anyone PM's me (and if its still up). This behavior is not just shocking... if this were a book, cartoon, movie, TV Show or whatever, this behavior would have been something the protagonist would have revealed onto the world by turning on a camera behind the scenes... but he openly flaunts it.

MWoO

Reaction score
Wow...that...was bad. This guy really does stink as Kermit, I'm sorry he just does.

Honestly, Disney couldn't find a better Kermit than this guy? Any one of the current performers could do a better Kermit. Of course, there wasn't exactly much material to work with during this appearance either. Lady Gaga and the muppets should not be mixing.

Whats bad is I can't even call this character Kermit. I mean, usually I would say "Kermit did this" or "Kermit did that" but I can't bring myself to type that.

MWoO

Reaction score
Here's a wild thought....

What if... and this is just a wild hypothetical, Steve IS still with the Muppets but he's not going to be Kermit anymore, and just stick to his other characters? One problem I had with LTS was the inclusion of Rizzo in the group that went to the North Pole... Kermit was already there... and when you have a performer play 2 (or more) characters in the same scene, the performances get flattened out. Like in MFS when all of Frank's major characters were in one scene. Again, wild, out of the box hypothetical.

I wonder about Steve too... and unfortunately, we don't have anyone inside enough to tell us what's going on. The one thing I hope is that he didn't get fired, or get angry and quit.

I wonder if Artie is a replacement, or just an alternate. A LOT of Muppets have alternates... mostly on Sesame Street. John Tartaglia performed Ernie a couple times for "Play with Me Sesame," And Matt Vogel stepped in for Carol during the JTE segments (and a couple episodes).... so I wonder if this is just a case of a performer having to have a substitute for one of his characters while he does something else.... Didn't Carol have a Book Signing the same day as the Emmy Tribute to Mr. Rogers several years back?

As long as this isn't long term and Steve's back on the job, I'm not worried.... but this is 2 cases of it.

It's more than two cases. Steve was, apparently, not at the D23 thing either, even though Bill, Dave, and Eric were, the 3 main guys now that Jerry is officially retired, from the muppet show muppets anyway.

I think Disney just has it out for Steve.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I don't have sound on this cpumter (due to being in a library) but I'm releived to see the Lady Gaga brought Kermit the Toad, or one of her Faux Frogs with her instead of Kermit the Frog.

Seriously...Could he look more uncomfortable or toadian (a word here meaning toad like.)

Once again, I hope and pray that Steve will get well if he is ill, and that whatever the issues are they get sorted. He's such a huge part of the Muppet family, and I feel it's really sad that he's potentially missing their great revival.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
OMG! First, I was obsessed about economic crisis, then I was obsessed when Wayne Allwine who did the voice of Mickey Mouse passed away, and now this! What the heck is going on here? This yeasr is unfortunate. If I should read 13 Series of Unfortunate Events in the first place, everything would be fine. Steve, get your butt back being Kermit!:mad:
Wayne Allwine passed away? I didn't know that. Who's going to voice Mickey now? I guess with cases of swine flu and all these celebrity deaths going on this year, there is definitely a concern about what's going on with Steve. I signed the petition on that. Hopefully we'll get some answers here soon.