Kermit in the Macy's Parade!!!!

radionate

Reaction score
Well gang, its offical. Kermit will be a new balloon this year in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

America’s favorite frog rejoins the Parade after a 12-year hiatus. Sponsored by The Jim Henson Company, this brand new Kermit Balloon will debut on Thanksgiving Day to cap off the yearlong celebration of the 25th anniversary of The Muppet Show. The first Kermit balloon premiered in 1977 and flew for 13 years. Larger than life at 78 ft. long, 36 ft. wide, and 61 ft. tall, the new Kermit will turn blue skies green as he is filled with over 11,000 cubic ft. of helium. Already receiving his own Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Kermit will take time out of his hectic schedule to fly down the Great White Way in Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. In addition, Kermit along with Miss Piggyä and the rest of the Muppet gang, will be starring in A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie to air this December on NBC.

I already posted in another thread about the Kermit water ball that will be sold exclusively thru Macy's, and odds are they will have a stuffed animal too (it might be Charlie Brown though, one of the other new balloons this year).

Other new balloons include Mr. Monopoly, Little Bill, and Uncle Sam.

Drtooth

Reaction score
FINALLY!!!! A new balloon in the parade that is not a bloody advertising gimic or a corny children's educational show.

Sigggh! What ever happened to the Bullwinkle and Bart Simpson balloons?

radionate

Reaction score
Well, there have been more and more comercial balloons every year. But there have also been a great many "neutral" balloons. The problem is that after a few years, the balloons get worn out, restiched, patched, and then eventually just wear out. A few years ago a lot of balloons were lost do to bad weather (they blew against objects and were ripped beyond repair, a few people even got hurt).

Big Bird was in the lineup last year, along with:
The Statue of Liberty
Pikachu
Snoopy
Flying Fish
Ice Cream Cone
Ronald McDonald
Curious George
Arthur
Cheesasaurus Rex
Happy the Hippo
Jimmy Neutron
Harold the Fireman
Cloe the Holiday Clown
Rugrats
Blue
The Honey Nut Cheerios Bee
Elf
Barney
Clifford the Big Red Dog
Dragon Tales' Cassie
Toy Soldier
and more...

It just depends on who is willing to pay for the balloon (Macy's or a "sponser") Bullwinkle, Mickey Mouse, Kermit, the Pink Panther, Betty Boop, etc have all been major balloons in the past decade, but often times they are in other parades the following year.

You gotta admit that Charlie Brown is a cool idea this year.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah! With the exceptions of Big Bird, Snoopy, Arthur, and Clifford, the balloons pretty much blew last year (rotten pun intended). It seems that the people willing to sponser balloons are companies which are only willing to pay for a balloon for a commercial. I swear, the WORST one was Jeeves, of Ask Jeeves.com. Yep! That's a frikking GREAT idea. Let's not sponser some classic character, let's sponser a cheap commercial character who will be replaced or forgotten!

I also think that there are too many crummy PBS shows with their own balloons. Barney and Cassie??? BLEEECH!!

At least they had the float commemorating balloons past and present, and had some guy in an UNDERDOG suit!

I hope the Sesame Cast returns to it's yearly parade opening like all those other years. That (and the afforementioned Balloon float) were the best parts of last year's fest.

Here's hoping that Pickachu and Barney pop on something...HEH HEH HEH!!!

Struble

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
Other new balloons include Mr. Monopoly, Little Bill, and Uncle Sam.
Since when did Uncle Pennybags become "Mr. Monopoly?"

Sh.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Re: Re: Kermit in the Macy's Parade!!!!

Originally posted by Struble
Since when did Uncle Pennybags become "Mr. Monopoly?"
Since the Cat in the Hat became Mr. Dr. Seuss! No, that's not funny!

Wait...Since The red dot became known as Mr. Twister....

Drat!! Much harder than it looks!

Monopoly is a long and boring board game. Never cared much for it.

Least they won't have the Dell Dude or Jared (of SubWay) as a balloon this year..least I hope not!

Stulz

Reaction score
Macy's Kermit

Yes, Macy's WILL have a new Kermit avialible this year.

He come with a camera and a roll of film.

I belive he will be $16.05 with a $35 purchace.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hey, I like the Dell dude. LOL! He reminds me of people I know. Jared, well...never much cared for him. Do you notice they are always covering up his waistline in the Subway commercials? (I still don't see how eating so much bread and carbs can help you lose weight. What was he eating before, just the mayonnaise? LOL! Rant over.

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
Hey, I like the Dell dude. LOL! He reminds me of people I know. Jared, well...never much cared for him. Do you notice they are always covering up his waistline in the Subway commercials? (I still don't see how eating so much bread and carbs can help you lose weight. What was he eating before, just the mayonnaise? LOL! Rant over.
Actually he was jogging/walking five miles a day. I did that once too, thats how I kept my girlish figure.

radionate

Reaction score
Re: Macy's Kermit

Originally posted by Stulz
Yes, Macy's WILL have a new Kermit avialible this year.

He come with a camera and a roll of film.

I belive he will be $16.05 with a $35 purchace.
Chirs,

Where did you find that out. None of my sources have had anything!