Kermit Parody on Saturday Night Live

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
ON SNL tonight, Justin Timberlake was the special guest, and about halfway through the show he said when he was little he always made sure he watched SNL and The Muppet Show, so he always dreamed of hosting SNL and singing with Kermit. At that point a counterfeit Kermit popped up and they started singing "Rainbow Connection" together. The first verse was very nice and happy, then he and the puppeteer (Chris Parnell maybe? I'm not sure) started fighting and it got kinda ugly from there... !:eek: Not to mention the voice changed from Kermit to Bullwinkle... :confused: It was kinda funny, though, and nice at least to see a nod to the Muppet Show.
Erin

Dilbertos2

Reaction score
saturday night live and kermit

saturday night live on oct 11 did a skit with justin timberlake and a fake kermit the frog where they sang "the rainbow connection" half way through the skit justin timberlake kicks the fake kermit the frog and beats up the fake kermit. As a huge muppet fan, i think saturday night live has crossed the line this time with their jokes. I found it to be in poor taste and very wrong. The rainbow connection is a classic song and the best muppet song ever. It was not fun in any way. I can't believe that saturday night live would make fun of an cultural icon like kermit the frog. I know that saturday night live has made fun of different cultural icons in the past but you don't make fun of kermit the frog. At one moment in the skit, Justin says to kermit "you're a great singer kermit" kermit says "so are you justin, maybe you, me and p diddy should cut an album" This is so wrong and every true muppet fun should write to satuday night live and tell them how stupid they are for doing this.

Anyways, if the real kermit the frog was getting beat up by justin timberlake, miss piggy would have given justin a black eye.

jediX

Reaction score
Yet to see that part but SNL has used a fake Kermit before. Wasn't insulting, though... he was giving away an award on some fake award show.

Dilbertos2

Reaction score
making fun of Kermit the Frog

jediX said:
Yet to see that part but SNL has used a fake Kermit before. Wasn't insulting, though... he was giving away an award on some fake award show.
Its not right to make fun of kermit the frog. SNL didn't get permission from anyone to make fun of kermit the frog. It would take too long to get permission to allow them to do that. So SNL just went ahead with the skit and did it.

THIS YEAR SHOULD BE SNL"S LAST YEAR

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I agree the second half was in pretty poor taste, though certainly nothing surprising coming from SNL. I thought for a minute it might just be a nice Justin and Kermit duet, but then I figured if it had been they would have gotten the real Kermit to come in. I figured something was up. Well, it was nice if you just stop it after the first verse...
Erin

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Dilbertos2 said:
I can't believe that saturday night live would make fun of an cultural icon like kermit the frog. I know that saturday night live has made fun of different cultural icons in the past but you don't make fun of kermit the frog. At one moment in the skit, Justin says to kermit "you're a great singer kermit" kermit says "so are you justin, maybe you, me and p diddy should cut an album"
Well, I didn't see SNL tonight, but the show makes fun of EVERYTHING. That's just its style of humor. As you hinted at, they've spoofed dozens of other TV shows, commercials, and movies. They parodied Mr. Roger's Neighborhood in the 80's and it was one of their best recurring skits. I don't know why the Muppets should be an exception. Personally, I don't think this is that big of deal and it actually sounds kind of funny.

Also, I'm not sure why the "cut an album" joke would be a problem. The Muppets have said far edgier things in their own productions. If anythng, the joke seems lame but it's not offensive in the least (at least to me).

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Dilbertos2 said:
Its not right to make fun of kermit the frog. SNL didn't get permission from anyone to make fun of kermit the frog. It would take too long to get permission to allow them to do that. So SNL just went ahead with the skit and did it.
They never *do* get permission to make fun of people, though, do they? Other than with the guest host maybe. SNL slams pretty much anything and everything. And very often, there's really no basis in reality. I think their funniest impersonations et. al. are when they're based on actual personality quirks that person has. If they just make stuff up that the person would never do, it's kinda pointless. I'd put the Kermit thing in the "kinda pointless" category. I guess they were trying to be funny by making him act the opposite of what was expected. Pretty dumb, but nothing out of the ordinary for them. I don't think it's worth getting too worked up about. SNL is just a really irreverent show. :rolleyes:
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Amazing Mumford said:
Also, I'm not sure why the "cut an album" joke would be a problem. The Muppets have said far edgier things in their own productions. If anythng, the joke seems lame but it's not offensive in the least (at least to me).
Yeah, I didn't see anything wrong with the album comment either...
Erin

Dilbertos2

Reaction score
"Cut an album" line in skit

Amazing Mumford said:
Well, I didn't see SNL tonight, but the show makes fun of EVERYTHING. That's just its style of humor. As you hinted at, they've spoofed dozens of other TV shows, commercials, and movies. They parodied Mr. Roger's Neighborhood in the 80's and it was one of their best recurring skits. I don't know why the Muppets should be an exception. Personally, I don't think this is that big of deal and it actually sounds kind of funny.

The line was wrong because if you remember what happened with p diddy a few years ago with the whole gun thing at the club. The muppets are better then all of that and don't need to be assocaited with stuff like that. The muppets are wholesome charracters. Also jutsin timberlake is a dork and as a kid, he was on the mickey mouse club.