Kermit pattern (sizing)

Cal Monster

Reaction score
I am working on my second Kermit replica and I am wondering how big and or how should i size/make the pattern I have. The pattern is just the basic pattern that comes up when you search in google, Kermit puppet pattern. PLEASE HELP!

muppetperson

Reaction score
I dont know what pattern you have, but I am guessing it is the one that was based on a Fisher Price Kermit doll, in which case it needs to be bigger. I dont know the exact measurements, but all I can say is that Kermit is 24 inches overall and visualise an adult human hand and base the measurements on that.Maybe repost in the puppet building section and you might get a better response.Good luck.

Alvin

Reaction score
I am going to lose it...ALL of these people who make replicas are killing me! IS IT HARD? AND how and where do you get the patterns and materials to do it?? I have been searching HIGH and LOW for a Kermit and Elmo puppet...but having NO luck what so ever!

cute or kill

Reaction score
There are a number of craft skills required to make a Muppet. The level of difficulty depends on the construction. So far the Kermit replica is not too challenging - more of a problem to getting it to look right than constructing it. In fact, Kermit is surely on the easier end of the scale compared to sculpting reticulated foam or casting shapes.

So long as you can source the fur, I can't imagine Elmo being all that difficult. As with Kermit, he's a simpler Muppet, but getting the proportions right is required for a good likeness.

If you're satisfied with a toy version, there is a history of official merchandise going back to the 1970s. Fisher-Price Kermit puppets appear on eBay occasionally, and Elmo puppets are readily available in many places. These pale in comparison to a good hand-made replica, though.

Animal31

Reaction score
Cute or Kill, I think you've hit the nail right on the head. Kermit is something I play around with off and on but so far I personally haven't found the pattern I'm looking for. But I really like the look of yours, and I can't wait to see it's progress!

Elmo is much the same way, once you get the look you want it is fairly simple construction, and alot of patience. I used the Project Puppet "melonhead" pattern for the skull, the rest of it was trial and error until I got what I was looking for.

Like Kermit, there are SO many versions of Elmo that have been used, pick the look you like and go for it....