1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Kermit- Poser AND Puppet possible??

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by GregoryGruesome, Oct 26, 2011.

1. GregoryGruesome

GregoryGruesome New Member

Hello, first post here. I'm making a full scale Kermit replica, based off of the patterns of the MR, as well as the tutorial by Kermit3001 on YouTube. But here's the thing- I can't decide between a poser doll, or a functional puppet. Is there a way to make both happen? I surmise that the joints on the poser are fairly stiff to maintain their position, so I can't imagine that they'd be easy to manipulate with the arm rods. But when not in use, I'd really like to be able to display my hard work.

Please, someone chime in and tell me if there's a way to get the best of both worlds?? Thank you!!

Greg
  2. Animal31

Animal31 Active Member

If you make it as a puppet you can always place it on a custom stand or frame when not in use, T Pins will keep the arms in place for certain poses...
  3. callmemilo

callmemilo Member

To be honest I think the MR poser is slightly too small. I'd make use of the MR pattern for the rest of the body, but maybe not the head.

As for making a puppet that can be displayed as a poser too, I'd say the best thing to do would be to work on an armature that is based around a human hand, as that's how Kermit retains his shape. Maybe one of those articulated display hands, or a fabric glove with stuffing inside and armature wire for bones?
  4. GregoryGruesome

Thank you everyone for the tips!

Animal- I had thought about an internal structure of some sort. I'll look into some ideas.

Callmemilo- I had wanted a fully functional poser, but also a full size puppet. So I guess, in thinking about it, I'd rather have a puppet than a poser. I guess it just really just boils down to that when displayed, I just want the head and neck to be able to stand on its own.

So I guess it's probably the armature. I'll look into the possible hand idea- that seems almost slightly genius :)

Thanks again!!
  5. GregoryGruesome

Ok, so I can't find any felt (soft or rigid) in the right shade for the collar. I tried dying a piece of white felt, but it was synthetic polyester felt so even after letting it soak in the steaming hot salted, super concentrated dye bath for a long while, the color just washed right out, going back to white.

What have others used for his collar? Is there a website that sells the right shade? I've googled and have found several options, but I don't want to bite the bullet if I don't know if it's the right shade. Any advice? Thanks!!

Greg
  6. Animal31

Animal31 Active Member

Joanns Fabrics has fleece in almost the right shade.
  7. GregoryGruesome

That's where I got my green body fleece hahaha. I noticed a color that would have been good, but it's really thick. I'm afraid it wouldn't look very good, as thick and soft as it is. I might be wrong, but I thought it was supposed to be thin and firm?
  8. GregoryGruesome

9. Animal31

Animal31 Active Member

I think the Chartreuse would go good for the body and maybe Lemon Lime for the colar....
  10. GregoryGruesome

Haha I just edited my post to say Lemon Lime. I think I'll order a sheet.
  11. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

yep what animal said is right
  12. GregoryGruesome

So I'm working on my pattern in photoshop, but I'm not very good with the whole thing, so could you guys look at it and see if my scale is right? This fits on a full 8.5x11" sheet. Thanks!

Greg

[​IMG]
  13. GregoryGruesome

Sorry to keep loading this thread with questions, but I have another-

If I was to go off of this
    http://www.ritdye.com/colorit_color_formula_guide

What color combination would I use to get the main body for Kermit in Antron fleece?? Thanks!

Greg
  14. Animal31

Animal31 Active Member

I had just went thru this recently myself, more than one has mentioned Kelly Green...
  15. GregoryGruesome

Any suggestions for my scaling problem? In Photoshop, I scaled the eye cycle indent to 40 mm, as that's the diameter of a standard ping pong ball, but when I printed out that head, it filled an entire 8.5x11" sheet of paper, and it just seems huge. Any suggestions?

Greg
  16. Animal31

Animal31 Active Member

Try to find smaller ping pong balls or order the half dome ones on-line. They are about 30mm and come with posts that you can either use or snap off and glue the eyes on. If you went by the standard ping pong ball, you may be correct, but Jim Henson also had huge hands....good luck
  17. GregoryGruesome

So here's the felt I ordered from Janet at FeltOnTheFly on Etsy. It's the lemon lime shade, and very nice. I will need to starch it, tho. Also, it's slightly less wide as a standard sheet of felt, so I may need to get creative when patterning out my collar and the soles of the feet. Either way, it's quite lovely.
    [​IMG]

And here's my attempts at blending the seams. This is the Henson stitch on standard anti-pill fleece, and while I'm still considering Kermit 1.0 to be more about learning techniques than accuracy, I'm still trying my best to make it look as good as possible.
    [​IMG]

Thoughts?
  18. callmemilo

callmemilo Member

That blending's looking good, Gregory. Looking forward to seeing how your Kermit turns out. Really exciting stuff. :)
  19. WalkingEye

WalkingEye New Member

Hello, on the issue of scaling, i think what is causing your pattern to seem too large is that Kermits eyes aren't quite full hemispheres. they're a bit smaller than the ping-pong ball cut in half. If you take a ping-pong ball and cut it at it's equator you'll get your 40mm's but you should then mark a line a few mm's above that cut line and and recut it there. that makes the circumference of the eyes smaller and therefor you'll be able to scale the pattern to this new size and it'll be better proportioned.