Kermit- Poser AND Puppet possible??

Reaction score
Hello, first post here. I'm making a full scale Kermit replica, based off of the patterns of the MR, as well as the tutorial by Kermit3001 on YouTube. But here's the thing- I can't decide between a poser doll, or a functional puppet. Is there a way to make both happen? I surmise that the joints on the poser are fairly stiff to maintain their position, so I can't imagine that they'd be easy to manipulate with the arm rods. But when not in use, I'd really like to be able to display my hard work.

Please, someone chime in and tell me if there's a way to get the best of both worlds?? Thank you!!

Greg

Animal31

Reaction score
If you make it as a puppet you can always place it on a custom stand or frame when not in use, T Pins will keep the arms in place for certain poses...

callmemilo

Reaction score
To be honest I think the MR poser is slightly too small. I'd make use of the MR pattern for the rest of the body, but maybe not the head.

As for making a puppet that can be displayed as a poser too, I'd say the best thing to do would be to work on an armature that is based around a human hand, as that's how Kermit retains his shape. Maybe one of those articulated display hands, or a fabric glove with stuffing inside and armature wire for bones?

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the tips!

Animal- I had thought about an internal structure of some sort. I'll look into some ideas.

Callmemilo- I had wanted a fully functional poser, but also a full size puppet. So I guess, in thinking about it, I'd rather have a puppet than a poser. I guess it just really just boils down to that when displayed, I just want the head and neck to be able to stand on its own.

So I guess it's probably the armature. I'll look into the possible hand idea- that seems almost slightly genius :smile:

Thanks again!!

Reaction score
Ok, so I can't find any felt (soft or rigid) in the right shade for the collar. I tried dying a piece of white felt, but it was synthetic polyester felt so even after letting it soak in the steaming hot salted, super concentrated dye bath for a long while, the color just washed right out, going back to white.

What have others used for his collar? Is there a website that sells the right shade? I've googled and have found several options, but I don't want to bite the bullet if I don't know if it's the right shade. Any advice? Thanks!!

Greg

Animal31

Reaction score
Joanns Fabrics has fleece in almost the right shade.

Reaction score
That's where I got my green body fleece hahaha. I noticed a color that would have been good, but it's really thick. I'm afraid it wouldn't look very good, as thick and soft as it is. I might be wrong, but I thought it was supposed to be thin and firm?

Animal31

Reaction score
I think the Chartreuse would go good for the body and maybe Lemon Lime for the colar....