1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Kermit Swamp Years - Opinions

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by The Whatevers, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Oops, I've posted here before:o

2. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Well-Known Member

I would say that it's worth the $5.50 and not one penny more. But heym the Muppets take Manhattan is in the $5.50 bin at Wal-Mart as well, so if you have 5.50, I think I know which one I would go with, ;) .

Personally, I didn't really care for Kermit's Swamp Years too much, I still bought it however, just for the sake of my collection. It's far from the best Muppet Movie, well really it makes Muppet Wizard of Oz look like the Muppet Movie, it's that bad, for my money. Here are some things I didn't really like about it, in a little bit of an order...

3) I have to say, that the whole idea of a youger verison of a Muppet was already played out, even before this sorry film, way before really. I mean we had Muppet Babies and The Muppet kids books. So to be honset, I always wished that it was a little more clear on how the Muppets met. But for me, I always think of the Muppet Movie as the true verison.
    2) No classic Muppets, just Kermit along with a small cameo with Statler and Waldorf, and none of these Muppets look like themselves.
    1) New characters. No, I'm not saying I hate the idea of bringing in new Muppets, but not annoying ones, again at least in my say. I mean let's look at the new Muppets here, frist off Croaker, he's really cocky, I didn't like him too much at all. Googles was super annoying with an annoying voice to macth him, and that big bullfrog (forgot his name) had no good traits about him either, oh than there is the dog, hmmm, can't say anything good to say there either, oh what about Vicki the snake, what was she supposed to be some kind of madam or something? Nope there was no new Muppet characters in this movie, that had the Muppet heart that makes you fall in love with them and get behind them.

But agian, this is just my say.

3. ravagefrackle

ravagefrackle New Member

well they didnt do it per-say , the cover of Rainbow connection had been released as part of a Album by ME FIRST AND THE GIMME GIMMES , they speacilize in Punk Covers of popular songs , that may not be thier best work but some are pretty fun,

4. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

its a cute movie, as for me i own TWO copys... mom n dad got me a copy from the $5 walmart bin 2 summers ago and i got it AGAIN in that 3 box set with TMTM, MFS and KSY that Sony/and Disney put out here not to long ago! :)

5. ILuVERNIE

ILuVERNIE New Member

I kinda had my doubts when I saw Kermit Swamp Years in the $5.50 bin at Wally World!

6. Faylo

Faylo Member

I didn't think KSY was that bad of a movie. It did have it's cute moments!
    Although I am in love with the outtakes/blooper reel.

"..SPANK ME! SPANK ME!"

7. DanDanStrawberry

DanDanStrawberry Active Member

I bought the DVD a while ago but I still haven't watched it, I've been too scared

8. Jivepuppet

Jivepuppet Member

WATCH IT!
    No, it's not classic Muppets. But it is fun. It's aimed at the younger ones, Sesame Street age. It's KidVid. No, it's not the Muppet Movie, but to me it was much better then Muppets Wizard of Oz!
    It's worth the six bucks just for the pet store scene alone.
    But hey, this is just my opinion!
    JB

9. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

If I try to see KSY, I'm definitely just going to rent, as opposed to buy.

I'm sure it has it's moments. Like I said before, I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy certain parts of A Very Merry Muppet Christmas. But overall, it wasn't something I wanted to keep watching over and over.

10. crazed gonzo fa

crazed gonzo fa Active Member

I liked it a lot!

11. I really liked it. But I like just about all of the muppet stuff. Its a cute little movie and yes it is different from the classic muppets.

12. Krazedmuppet

Krazedmuppet Active Member

I didnt like it at all, They were trying too hard. Ive only watched it like 2 times, I own it only because some one bought it for me.

13. DanDanStrawberry

DanDanStrawberry Active Member

I have the DVD but I'm still too scared to watch it

14. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I thought it was great; I loved the plot, and the new characters were wonderful. I especially liked how big bully Blotch became best friends with Goggles. The special features were AWESOME; especially the behind-the-scenes featurette, and the double blooper reel (not the one at the tail end of the movie).

So yeah, I really enjoyed it a lot!

15. DTWolf

DTWolf Member

One of my friends saw this on the shelf with my other Muppet movies and asked how it was. I told her, "Well, a Muppet purist wouldn't own it, but a Muppet completist would." So she said that made plain which type I was.

It isn't Muppet "canon"--that is, it won't fit into the "true" Muppet storyline established in, say, the Muppet Show and The Muppet Movie. This Kermit backstory is incompatible with the established chronology. I say it's apocryphal and does not take place in the "Muppet-verse."

It's also extremely lame. The jokes are weak, the plot is ho-hum, and the human actors should never, ever have been allowed into a Muppet production. Some people can work well with Muppets, some can't. These can't, and it doesn't help that they're given such cardboard stereotype characters to play. "Hi, I'm the relentless, irritable, villainesque scientist-type!" "Hi, I'm his dopey, bumbling assistant!" Sheesh.

The best part of the DVD is what's in the extras. I laughed much more at those than at the actual movie. I wouldn't buy it again just for the extras--except, yes, I would buy the DVD again, because I'm a completist and want EVERY Muppet production on my shelf.

16. Marky

Marky Member

On paper, it was a great idea. Overall, I'd say that it's inconsistent.

There are some amusing moments, and some that are genuienly moving. However, there are also moments which make you wonder where the quality-control went in casting and writing. "This got approved?" I thought more than once. The worst part - the chase in the high-school. The best - the pet shop musical number.

It is the lamest Muppet DVD out there, yes. But it won't make you hate yourself for watching it either.

17. Punch'n'Judy

Punch'n'Judy New Member

It's up against some pretty stiff competition though. Agree about the extras, worth paying the £3!

18. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the behind the scenes stuff with Joe the Armadillo were hilarious. I love that little critter.

The movie however, meh. I agree with everyone about the human actors (I almost couldn't watch that high school chase scene!), too bad.

Coulda been a lot better, but...people's is people's.

:)

19. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Well-Known Member

Well the way I see it is if you ever have a Muppet or Kermit movie that has no familer Muppets and the only familer Muppet are younger and therefore a whole different verison of themselves, than it's not as fun to wacth for the most part.

Plus I don't feel any of the newer Muppets were that fun and didn't really capture the attention that other more familer Muppets are able to. I could get behind the characters in this movie personally.

I do have the DVD, but that cause I'm trying to collect all the Muppet DVD's I can (minus all thoes "Elmo's World" DVD's). I've only wacthed it once since I've bought it, which is saying something, can usually I'm able to wacth a lot of Muppet Movies over and over. Heck I even wacthed The Muppets Wizard of Oz at least three times.

20. robinthefrog

robinthefrog New Member

I bought it just recently and I actually enjoyed it. Fresh idea, good characters and interesting plot. The part where you see the young Jim Henson sealed the deal for me, without that I probably wouldnt have liked the movie.