1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Kermit's Swamp Years News

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Thog, May 24, 2002.

1. Thog

Thog New Member

Not sure if anyone posted this yet. So here it is.

Dan

Having completed postproduction work last month on the first live action Muppet video premiere movie, Kermit’s Swamp Years: The Real Story Behind Kermit the Frog’s Early Years, Jim Henson Home Entertainment has delivered the finished film to Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment for a planned debut in September. Henson senior VP Michael Polis, who is executive producer on the film, told Video Premiere Awards that the company is now working on extras for the DVD. In addition to outtakes and behind-the-scenes footage, extras include a new Muppet armadillo character providing quasieducational interviews of members of the cast and crew (to the best boy: "Did you work your way up from Good Boy?") and a new Muppet horsefly character named Horace who is interviewed along with Kermit.
    A rock version of the popular 'The Rainbow Connection' theme song from the first theatrical Muppet movie is performed by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes with the outtakes on the DVD edition. The movie itself features two original songs, one of which takes place in a pet store where the other animals describe how great it is to be a pet and have owners clean up your "number two." Henson has many hopes pinned on the success of this 82-minute video premiere movie, with outlines for follow-ups already drawn up. Henson is also developing original video premiere movie franchise projects to be announced in August that would build on strong consumer sales of the company’s fantasy films, including Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Henson might partner with Columbia or another distributor on those projects.

Link:
    http://members.fortunecity.com/backtodisney/News.html
  2. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Hi Dan,

Thanks for posting the link. Great news!
  3. EmmyMik

EmmyMik New Member

That song sounds like a classic already...
  4. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

This announcement that's supposed to happen in August sounds pretty interesting.
  5. Luke

Luke Active Member

6. scarecroe

scarecroe Active Member

ToughPigs reported on that months ago declaring it as the ToughPigs "theme song" (LOL:))

Personally, I think it's pretty lame. Their version of The Phantom of the Opera is quite good though.

But the cutest part of the story comes from the original report at Video Premiere Awards with this pic of Kermit.
  7. Crazy Harry

Crazy Harry New Member

:D Lil' Kewmit is just so fweaking cute it makes me want to twough up on my keyboad.:D
  8. radionate

radionate New Member

Has nobody on this board heard this song before? I'm such a HUGE fan of Me First and the Gimme Gimmes!!!!!! If you guys haven't heard of them, and like quirky punk/ska music, check it out. The Rainbow Connection remake is on their CD entitled, "Are a Drag". On it they cover songs from "Sound of Music", "Annie", and more. They have a new CD out too (came out last year) called "Blowin in the Wind" (I think thats the name). You gotta here they're version of "Who Put The Bomp"!

Anyway, its a fun song!! Check it out!!

Oh yeah, this is for Jamie. Did you see Divas Live last night, Cyndi Lauper was on and was awsome! (Yeah Yeah, I watched Divas Las Vegas last night, anyone have a problem with it?) :rolleyes:
  9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

On KSY News-

Oh no, I hope they haven't opened the floodgates - Piggy's Barn Years, Fozzie's Cave Years and Kermit's Swamp Years 2. And from the sound of it, a possible Dark Crystal direct to video sequel. That really doesn't sit well with me, but we'll see how things turn out. I am excited to hear about the treatment of this DVD release and its commentary. Very cool.

Hey Nate!
    On the topic of Cyndi - I was actually seeing a friend off last night. He's moving this weekend. I'm sure they will re-run Divas. I heard she didn't have a big part in the show, but she was a special guest. I do not understand a world where Brandy is considered a diva and Cyndi a special guest. Anyway, the most fun girl in the world will be appearing at a local club here in San Francisco tomorrow so I hope to see her! It may be sold out because it's the club is closing that night, but I'll try.
  10. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

frogboy: dc sequel?

>>>And from the sound of it, a possible Dark Crystal direct to video sequel<<<

First off, yeah a Piggy's Barn years etc would just be lame. To me this special feels to much like those 1993 released Disney 'specials' with Bean Bunny and (pre-cursor) Bobo Bear.

But hold the phone...a dc sequel? I think that post meant fantasy films by creature shop in the vein of those great 80's fantasy(new fantasy films dont hold a candle to those classics) Though I remember that strong rumor 4 years ago about a dc prequel.
  11. Luke

Luke Active Member

Scarecroe :-

Yep i know it came from Toughpigs, thats where i got it - i kinda spend a lotta time there now, as does everyone judging by all the TP references in this forum.

All :-

I think KSY is sounding a lot better than i originally thought - i think it's a rental at least. I'm happy at the way they are treating the DVD but then i'm not massively unhappy about the way the MTI DVD has been treated. I like the idea that Henson are doing lots of extras on their DVD's now, though widescreen on the Disney movies would have been nice.

On the subject of the Muppet Treasure Island DVD - i noticed that while this site went all out to sway people into being anti-Disney about the way it's been handled - it has absolutely no problem with displaying a nice large graphic on the main page of the DVD cover and an affiliate link to where you can buy the DVD at Amazon.com - isn't this just a little two faced ? On one hand there was an article on the site persuading us that this is terrible and on the other there is now a big free plug for Disney in prime position on the sites most viewed page. It's kinda confusing and suggests to people (whether correct or not) that the site cares more about the money than the way the Muppet product is being treated !

Just my 2 cents !
  12. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Yeah, I may be jumping the gun, but it really sounded like there may be a possibility of a DC direct-to-vid. Honestly, I can see a direct-to-vid with some of the characters in Labyrinth. Not that it is something I would recommend, but the film did end rather open. If a DC film were ever made, I hope it would be tastefully done and be a special event. Not a disposable release that disappoints the fans.

It could mean more fantasy films as you have stated, but why can't they release the projects in the theater. And if there ends up being a KSY series I will be very unhappy. It could diminish the perception of Kermit like the Muppet Babies did in mid/late 80s. Some of this talk has the old frogboy hopping mad, but I guess we'll have to wait for the real skinny before we can really comment on this news. It is good that future projects are planned no matter what they are; I just hope they are quality ones!
  13. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

frogboy:

It is good that future projects are planned no matter what they are; I just hope they are quality ones!<<

yeah, i guess we'll have to wait for august to hear what else they got planned, but i know what ya mean about diminishing the property to super kiddy faire. I wasnt excited at all with the footage i saw of KSY, though the producers promise plenty of references to diehard fans.

It is great that starting now there will be a diluge of muppet stuff...from the new kermit/piggy denneys commerical/promotion, to muppet pinball mayhem finally freaking coming out tuesday, muppet figures ina couple weeks, etc.
  14. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Luke,

I agree with your assessment of the MTI DVD picture on the front of the site, and I'll take the photo down. Didn't think about it the way you described.
  15. Luke

Luke Active Member

Ok Phil, yeah i can kinda see both sides of it - on the one hand the site is there to tell people about what products are coming out and the latest news on Muppet stuff, and on the other theres the widescreen campaign where we are saying this isn't on.

It's a tough one, i think the first time this has ever come up over the years, but i think you've made the right decision because it shows a clear positive message to others. Trust it to be a Disney product ! LOL !
  16. Re: On KSY News-

Hey, if disney gets the Muppets, that's what you can expect!

--"Scary" Larry Wolf
  17. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I think it has happened anyway from the sound of things.

That's another thing that annoyed me about MFS. It was so boring and could have gone in so many directions - exploring Gonzo's teen years in space being one of them. Not Baby Gonzo of course, but I would have liked to see some space action in that movie. It was implied by the title and I think is a major point that upset people. Just an observation. LOL!

I do think that as far as longevity goes, Disney is really the best choice. Also, this talk of a company buying them to sit on a shelf and only be used for t-shrts buggs me too. Not that it would happen, but it sure wouldn't happen with the mouse. They go to far with their exploitation though. It's a weird situation, but I still feel they will end up at Disney so I'm just getting used to the idea.
  18. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

Yeah, although Disney is widely considered the most likely buyer of Henson, and probably (hopefully) WILL buy them, I still sometimes have this feeling way back in my head that Disney doesn't buy them. What if I wake up one Monday morning, go to "AOL Business News," type "Muppets," and after all this time, all these articles, all the mental anguish, I see...something I don't want to see. I'd consider throwing my monitor out the window. :)

I remember going to the Muppet newsgroup in 2/00, and saw "German firm pursues Henson ownership." Didn't really take it THAT seriously. Then a few more articles appeared and on President's Day I go to Muppet Central, and in big letters on the front page, "Germany's EM.TV buys Henson for $680 million." Then five years of my life flashed before my eyes. Then a year later EM.TV, well you know. And ANOTHER year later, here we are.

The point of this message: If you wanna buys the Muppets, just be careful. You could get sued, you can get a tarnished image, you can run into heavy debt, you can get investigated by German prosecutors! Just announce a joint Muppet project and HOPE it all goes smoothly from there. Let's hope nothing tragic happens to Disney (or whoever) by this time next year!

That's the most fun I've had all day. :)
  19. Luke

Luke Active Member

<<"Germany's EM.TV buys Henson for $680 million." Then five years of my life flashed before my eyes.>>

Thats exactly what happened to Brian Henson !
  20. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

No, that was nine years of his life, and he WANTED to sell. Didn't he? Whose fault was it that EM.TV bought Henson?