Kevin Clash Writing Autobiography

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Kevin Clash, the Muppeteer behind Elmo (and others), just recently signed a major deal with Broadway Books to write an inspirational book for adults that is set for release in "fall 2006". The book, titled What Elmo Taught Me, will draw upon the Baltimore native’s unique experience as a parent, master puppeteer, and performer whose work has enchanted millions around the world.

You Can read more about it here: http://muppetnewsflash.blogspot.com/2005/11/kevin-clash-writing-autobiography.html

BEAR

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
Kevin Clash, the Muppeteer behind Elmo (and others), just recently signed a major deal with Broadway Books to write an inspirational book for adults that is set for release in "fall 2006". The book, titled What Elmo Taught Me, will draw upon the Baltimore native’s unique experience as a parent, master puppeteer, and performer whose work has enchanted millions around the world.

You Can read more about it here: http://muppetnewsflash.blogspot.com/2005/11/kevin-clash-writing-autobiography.html

Sounds like the same concept as Carroll Spinney's book which was about what he learned from Big Bird.

janicegroupie

Reaction score
It's does sound like a similar style to Caroll Spinney's book but I know I am excited about the book. I don't know much about Kevin Clash but would be very interested in learning about him.

BEAR

Reaction score
Carroll Spinney paved the way. Now Kevin Clash is coming out with something. Let's just hope we can see more great things like this from other performers, especially Jerry Nelson or even Frank Oz.

Actually, you know what else would be wonderful? A similar book about one or more of the Sesame Street human cast. If Bob McGrath or Sonia Manzano even authored something I would be ecstatic!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I'm actually excited about this autobiography, I just wonder if it will be exclusively about SS, or if there will be stuff about his time on Muppets Tonight!

BEAR

Reaction score
theprawncracker said:
I'm actually excited about this autobiography, I just wonder if it will be exclusively about SS, or if there will be stuff about his time on Muppets Tonight!
I sure it will consist mainly of Sesame Street, especially given the title and the fact that SS and Elmo have taken up so much of his career. He will probably touch on his other Muppet work though. Wasn't Clifford his first main character?

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Well, unless you count Polly Lobster from MTI, then yes, Clifford was his first.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Wasn't Clifford his first main character?
Yes, Clifford was his first (and only) lasting Muppet character to date. Kevin joined Henson in 1985, Clifford appeared in 1988. Clifford has appeared in: The Muppets' Wizard of Oz, It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, Muppets From Space, Muppets Tonight, The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson, The Muppets at Walt Disney World, The Jim Henson Hour, and more.

Kevin's main Muppet characters:
- Clifford (1988-present)
- Leon (1989)
- Polly Lobster (1996)
- Spa'am (1996)
- Real Old Tom (1996)
- Sam Eagle (2002-2003)

Other main characters:
- Elmo (Sesame Street: 1985-present)
- Hoots the Owl (Sesame Street: 1985-present)
- Baby Natasha (Sesame Street: 1985-present)
- Firey Leader (Labyrinth: 1986)
- The Four Guards (Labyrinth: 1986)
- Ambrosius (Labyrinth: 1986)
- Baby Sinclair (Dinosaurs: 1991-1994)
- Eliot Shag (Dog City: 1993)
- Splinter (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movies: 1990-1991)

Kevin has also be a producer, director, puppeteer captain, and performer on many Henson, Sesame and Muppet productions. You can see Kevin's full credits at IMBD.com here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0165159/