Kid's Programming that Makes You Want to Question Life Itself

beaker

Reaction score
It has occured to me what an attrocious indecency is being committed againt the kids of today.

It started with Barney and Power Rangers. It continued with the Telletubies, and other abominations of mankind.

While Im not asking for the magical programming I grew up with(80's era Sesame, Fraggle Rock, Muppet Babies, etc), there are just some children's shows that no self respecting mamal could indulge onto their offspring:

*The Wiggles: Holy *I cant even think of a word* I saw a promo clip for the upcoming 'Wiggles Movie', and I just wanted to see a therapist or hide. Think of Telemundo Spanish television kids shows at 3 in the morning meets the feeling from just serving some hardtime in the penetentary.

*Veggie Tales: Hey, I have nothing against dogmatic indoctrinated Community College level CGI talking vegetable cartoons...but my goodness...has the world gone so down the pot that parents feel the need to coddle their kids with such abhorently petrid garbage?

Why do so many kid's shows have to be insulting to one's intelligence? Even the very minimalist Blue's CLues has some value to it. I think Nick Jr. for the most part has had their act together there(Ok, so they dont have the Muppet Babies/Muppet Show/Andy and Randy Muppet morning blocks they used to, but hey) Thank goodness Sesame is still around. Yeah, we can argue all day about the merits of 'Elmo's World', but at least its the Muppets. These other abominations should only be shown to captured terrorist figters in Guantanamo Bay Cuba POW camps, and even that would be cruel and unusual punishment.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Veggie Tales Saved My Christmas!

I agree with much of what you said and would have agreed with your Veggie Tales comment had I not actually seen a tape. Yes, you have the in-your-face Christian values, but that really doesn't offend me. It's handled in a classy way and you can expect that from the packaging info and title.

The writing and humor of these is amazing. I cracked up. Any fan of Muppets should enjoy this stuff because that is obviously where they have taken their cue. Brilliant stuff - and I don't say that lightly.

The animation is not top-notch. There is exposed geometry and virtually no texture. However, it is smooth 24-frame animation so it easily surpasses the quality of all television animation I have seen. It is more than enough for a direct to video kids' release, and I am incredibly picky. The characters have life, wit and personality.

There are some great songs too. I actually may become a collector of this series. I was planning to post about this, but totally forgot until you brought it up. I watched a tape with my niece and nephew on Christmas day and was blown away. Laughed out loud so hard I almost cried at one point. This is one of the best projects to come along in children’s' entertainment in a very long time. Would probably make my top ten list.

Have you actually seen a full episode? I don’t much like preachy projects of propaganda, but this really isn’t one of them. I also share some Christian values myself (although I do not take the label or subscribe to the entire theology). Totally and A project for what it is. Fun and funny project with good values and eye-popping college grade animation. It also made the kids, crying in stereo, pipe down for nearly an hour without me having to install an off button on them. For some reason, people frown on that. :eek:

beaker

Reaction score
Re: Veggie Tales Saved My Christmas!

Originally posted by frogboy4
I agree with much of what you said and would have agreed with your Veggie Tales comment had I not actually seen a tape. Yes, you have the in-your-face Christian values, but that really doesn't offend me. It's handled in a classy way and you can expect that from the packaging info and title.
Having been a HUGE cgi fan since the 80's, I make it a point to try to check out any new cgi series...and while Veggie Tales does sport animation vastly over say Roly Poly or other low grade stuff out there...something about the overall project becons a sense of disdain. I think I may have seen that Viking one! That one was where they are trying to teach kids about their proud Nordic heritage through Wagner compositions and post Nietsczian philosophy right? Something about Viking themes in a Christian talking vegetable cgi show makes me worried.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
I'm going to put my strong Anti-Veggie feelings aside on this one and comment on a show that nearly turned my brain into mashed potatos (in a VERY bad way).

When I was a young one, I watched the show Zoobaleezoo. I really liked this show strongly, and ever since I began collecting TV shows, I have been passively looking for episodes. Anyway, I looked on PBS one night (as my cable allows me to see upcoming programs for I think 2 days) to see something about Sesame Street, and I saw a listing for a show called Zoombamafu. I, not totally remembering Zoobaleezoo's correct title, jumped for joy and set my VCR to tape it. What I saw saddened me to the point of tears.

For those who haven't seen it, the show teaches kids about animals, but does so much more. It shows you how to puppeteer poorly and be excentric and annoying while hosting a children's program. I am no stickler for kid's shows, but this wreeked of pathos worse than Danny Bonaducci.

So, I didn't question life itself. I'm sure the only reason that is so is because I was too busy scooping my marshmellowed brain back into my cranium.

-Matt

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cantus Rock
I'm going to put my strong Anti-Veggie feelings aside on this one and comment on a show that nearly turned my brain into mashed potatos (in a VERY bad way).

When I was a young one, I watched the show Zoobaleezoo
Yes! This show rocks. I almost thought it might be JHC related, as JHC has Animal Show with Stinky and Jake, Bambaloo, and th eupcoming Animal Jam.

I even saw a Zooboomawhatever figure playset at the dollar store last year. Tat was before I actually saw an episode. I love shows teaching kids about exotic animals, so cool!

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Cory I think you are not reading him right... Matt is saying that he doesn't like Zoboomafoo! Personally, I find his comments amazing, since I think the show is fabulous, and the puppeteer in question, Gord Robinson, is certainly anything but "poor"... unless maybe you didn't care for his characters on Fraggle Rock.

Gordon Robertson: Pa Gorg (body), Rumple Fraggle, Murray,
Tumbrell Doozer, the Inkspots,
Murray the minstrel

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by FellowWLover
Cory I think you are not reading him right... Matt is saying that he doesn't like Zoboomafoo!
i liked the old version don't remember the name...that came on like 5 years ago....anyone remember the name?

Sarah

beaker

Reaction score
Cory I think you are not reading him right... Matt is saying that he doesn't like Zoboomafoo! Personally, I find his comments amazing, since I think the show is fabulous, and the puppeteer in question, Gord Robinson, is certainly anything but "poor".
OHHH!!! He was saying he DIDNT like Zooboomafoo? Ack! I love that little monkey! I almost thought the show was CTW or JHC related. And say, didnt that Gord Robinson used to perform on Fraggle Rock? You like Fraggle Rock dont ya Matty boy? ^_^

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by sarah_yzma
i liked the old version don't remember the name...that came on like 5 years ago....anyone remember the name?

Are you thinking of Kratt's Creatures?

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Are you thinking of Kratt's Creatures?

thank you...now my life is furfilled...ok not really...

Sarah

but thanks again now i can sleep tonight! things like that just bug me when i can't remember them!