Kukla Fran & Ollie fans?

doctort13

Reaction score
I agree

Burr was doing smart/funny puppetry on national TV before The Muppets hit the big time. The thing that really makes me say WOWs that he performed Kukla & Ollie all by himself.

Beulah Witch

Reaction score
I guess I'm three years too late?

Anyway, I'm a Kukla Fran and Ollie fan (could you tell?) As for the DVDs, apparently they are being held up because the person who owns the rights lost money on the videos, and doesn't want to do the same by releasing DVDs. There are old shows like "Mr. Peepers" being released on DVD, but not Kukla, Fran and Ollie. Apparently the Wally Cox contingent is more vocal than the we are...

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
puppetguy said:
Burr Tilstrom was an improvisational genius... While the mechanics of his puppeteering were not awe inspiring, somehow the characters transcended.
This is very true. Ollie the Dragon was the only puppet with a mouth that opened and Burr did not really do "lip sync". Even as a kid, this always bothered me. But not enough not to be a fan. And I'm certain that's because of the characters.

As I recall, one of his characters talked in only funny sounds, making Beaker a direct descendant.

Unfortunately, I think the only shows that exist are color episodes that were done in the 70's, not the original series from the 50's. I recall them not being as good. Still, it would be nice to have something on DVD. The 70's shows are better than nothing.

:stick_out_tongue:

Ziffel

Reaction score
I never saw the shows but a few years ago on game show network I was watching The Match Game 79 and the Kukla and Ollie puppets occupied the top left seat (next to Brett Sommers). There were some amusing lines and at the end they were the ones who played "final match" with the contestant.

Beulah Witch

Reaction score
Was Once Ernie said:
Unfortunately, I think the only shows that exist are color episodes that were done in the 70's, not the original series from the 50's. I recall them not being as good. Still, it would be nice to have something on DVD. The 70's shows are better than nothing.

:stick_out_tongue:
No, the black and white shows DO exist (at least 700 of them do), but Martin Tahse, who is the rights owner to all the shows, is reluctant to release them. Still there are about 7 or 8 bootlegs floating around that are usually available on eBay. Here's a list from Mark's site of the ones that exist on film:

http://users.ultinet.net/~kfo/films.html

The '70s shows aren't as good, true, but they have their moments. Every so often a glimmer of the old stuff comes out and it's hilarious.

goshposh

Reaction score
here we are! here we are again!

i love kukla, fran and ollie! i wish i was growing up when they were first on so i could see more than just the video tapes my library has

Beulah Witch

Reaction score
Berlin Wall Hand Ballet

Here is a clip to the Burr's Berlin Wall hand ballet:

http://users.ultinet.net/~kfo/berlin.html

The Puppeteers of America has a show that Burr did at the UNIMA fest in 1980 with 2 1/2 more of his hand ballets (I say 2 1/2 becaue they cut off "Rachel Carson"). One of them features right hand trying to seduce left hand and it is really sexy (I know it sounds weird. You'd have to see it.)

This same tape has the Kuklapolitans doing some contemporary political banter as well (circa 1980).

Ah, I miss Burr! :sympathy:

marknyc

Reaction score
Glad to find other KFO fans! I run The Unofficial Kuklapolitan Webpage, and I finally got a domain name:

kukla.tv

Take a look - there are tons of video and audio clips, photos, magazines, interviews, etc. Everything you ever wanted to know about KFO!

(All the ultinet links mentioned in this thread will redirect to the new site for awhile, but that site is gone.)

Best,

Mark