Labyrinth Comic Book Coming

DannyRWW

Reaction score
My local comic store didn't have it. Is it available in regular book stores?

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Found it. I liked it quite a bit...took awhile getting used to the visuals but story wise it was great (I also liked the dark crystal sneak peak in the back). Nice touches like the Mc Escher piece in the background in Toby's room and a cameo by traveling Matt.

Douglas Fir

Reaction score
DannyRWW said:
Found it. I liked it quite a bit...took awhile getting used to the visuals but story wise it was great (I also liked the dark crystal sneak peak in the back). Nice touches like the Mc Escher piece in the background in Toby's room and a cameo by traveling Matt.
Oooh there's a cameo by Travelling Matt - that's pretty cool! I didn't order a copy of this through my ordinary channels so I'll have to see if I can pick up a copy somewhere! Anyone know how many volumes are planned - I almost broke the bank buying the Battle Royale manga!

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Don't know how many volumes but amazon has volume 2 listed as April, 2007..... not very consistent sadly....I hope that date is wrong.

Douglas Fir

Reaction score
DannyRWW said:
Don't know how many volumes but amazon has volume 2 listed as April, 2007..... not very consistent sadly....I hope that date is wrong.
I guess the problem is that TokyoPop usually are usually reprinting existing material - whereas this is a new manga that is still being worked on. That said if there is an eight month wait between Vol.'s 1 & 2 then that is poor management and perhaps they should have waited until they had more of the story completed before releasing the first volume!

According to the TokyoPop website Vol. 2 is being released 10th April 2007 (http://www.tokyopop.com/S-1712/2.html) and Vol. 3 is being released 11th December 2007 (http://www.tokyopop.com/S-1712/3.html)! And it looks like that could be it (just 3 volumes)?

DTWolf

Reaction score
I read vol. 1 last week. From posts in other threads I was expecting the writing to be absolutely horrible, but it wasn't. Just so-so.

What was horrible was the drawing. Despite what the inside back cover says about Chris Lie, the drawing looks like amatuerish fan art. The layout of panels on the page is poor, the placement of images within the panels is poor, and the basic work of posing characters and getting their proportions right is just plain sloppy. I kept shaking my head, over and over.

I know that people who don't read manga are looking at this book--and I have this dread that they'll think actual manga looks like this. It doesn't. ("Actual manga" meaning "comics created by Japanese for Japanese"--I hate this marketing ploy of calling U.S.-generated graphic novels "manga" just because of the page size.) In Japan drawing like this would never even place in an amateur competition, let alone get published.

With better artwork I might stick with it through vols. 2 and 3, but with this weak drawing I don't think I will. I'll spend my money on authentic manga instead.

angiealight

Reaction score
I've ordered this from Amazon.com - can't wait to take a look thru it! A Travelling Matt cameo, hmm? I'll have to keep my eyes peeled ^_^

From the previews I've seen, I'm not terribly impressed with the artwork. I hope the story more than makes up for it, though!

Douglas Fir

Reaction score
angiealight said:
I've ordered this from Amazon.com - can't wait to take a look thru it! A Travelling Matt cameo, hmm? I'll have to keep my eyes peeled ^_^

From the previews I've seen, I'm not terribly impressed with the artwork. I hope the story more than makes up for it, though!
Over the last few weeks I've looked for this in so many different shops that carry large selections of manga (specifically TokyoPop stuff) yet I've had no luck finding a copy! I guess I'm gonna have to order it online next time I do some amazon shopping - but it's a shame I couldn't just buy a copy in a shop!

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I'm surprised that the Jareth/Sarah romance thing won't be a subplot. One of the main reasons why I enjoy Labyrinth so much is the interaction between Jareth and Sarah. The author wrote that maybe twenty years from now some other author might take that plot up, but am I the only one who feels like this?

Laszlo

Reaction score
DTWolf said:
With better artwork I might stick with it through vols. 2 and 3, but with this weak drawing I don't think I will. I'll spend my money on authentic manga instead.
Too bad... seems they only released this to make profit with the LABYRINTH name... :mad: