Labyrinth Comics

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
I'll have to pick those up...I have the Dark Crystal set. Pretty good stuff.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Good luck finding them. I'll hold out and see if any vendors have 'em at Wizard World Philly.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
You'd be surprised how easy it is to get your hands on these comics, Labyrinth a bit moreso than Dark Crystal. When they were released in the 80s, they first came out in magazine format as Marvel Super Specials. Then they released the limited series of each book, which basically cut the Super Special up into about three or four issues. These days you can find the comics in the bargain bins of most any comics shop. They never really went up in value, and were little more than hastily slapped together publicity pieces. However, Bret Blevins did his first work for Marvel comics on The Dark Crystal, and anyone who saw his run on New Mutants in the 80s knows how talented he was, and it shows in the Dark Crystal. And Labyrinth had uber-brilliant Marvel artist John Buscema as the penciler, and that man knows how to draw fantasy (and dang near anything else). So though the writing on these comics was sub par and they weren't necessarily the best representations of the movies, the artwork is stunning in both cases. I still have both the Super Specials as well as the limited series for Labyrinth, and they're always good for quick shot of nostalgia.

Laszlo

Reaction score
I have the LABYRINTH comics #1 and #2 for sale.
PM me if interested.

Laszlo

Reaction score
lowercasegods said:
However, Bret Blevins did his first work for Marvel comics on The Dark Crystal, and anyone who saw his run on New Mutants in the 80s knows how talented he was, and it shows in the Dark Crystal. And Labyrinth had uber-brilliant Marvel artist John Buscema as the penciler, and that man knows how to draw fantasy (and dang near anything else).
I have an original Brett Blevins Garthim sketch... it is very cool!

However I don't like the Labyrinth comics... drawings look rushed.

Rowbes

Reaction score
I didn't realize the Dark Crystal ones were that rare. I found them at my local comic shop a couple years ago for $1.50 each.

I bought the first issue of the Labyrinth set when it first hit shelves. I was eight years old, and I was so excited to find it. However when I returned to that store a month later, they had opted not to carry the rest of them.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Laszlo said:
I have an original Brett Blevins Garthim sketch... it is very cool!

However I don't like the Labyrinth comics... drawings look rushed.
I can see why you'd think that about the Labyrinth comics, and I'm inclined to agree with you. My best educated guess is that Marvel was contracted to draw the comics to coincide with the movie's release, so they whipped them out as fast as they could without real consideration for quality. However, as I said before, John Buscema was Marvel's best artist ever (even better than Jack Kirby, in my opinion), and I know from magazines I'd read that he really researched the film to do the artwork. In my view, he can do no wrong. Having said that, Buscema only did the pencils for the book, while Marvel put a lesser inker on the project to finish it up. So if the drawings look rushed, I put the blame on the inker. Buscema was at the top of his game 'til the day he died, and still beats out anyone working at Marvel today.

And as for your Blevin's sketch, pardon me while I turn green with envy and drool ravenously. You're a lucky man, my friend. However, I've had my own little brush with the Garthim, as you can see from the following link:

http://www.jayfosgitt.com/PhotoGallery/muppets3.html

However, this doesn't make me any less envious of you for having such killer artwork in your possession. Conrats, muh man.