Labyrinth Question...Advice

ForeverCripple

Reaction score
A quick question. With several different dvd releases of this movie, does anyone know if there was ever a digital transfer? I would hate to spend a decent amount of money and not get the quality expected from dvds. Also, does one release have more special features then another? Love my special features! Hope someone can help. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Would love to see this movie in all its digital glory!

anytimepally

Reaction score
I think The Superbit Edition is a digital transfer.. if not, I would seriously doubt any of the others have one.. and the Superbit will have by far the best picture quality.. the bad thing is that it has no extras at all, so they can use as much disk space as possible for the movie itself... the best extras are on the Collector's Edition Boxed Set, they include:
"Inside the Labyrinth" making-of featurette
Theatrical trailers
Talent files
Four photo galleries: Behind the Scenes, Cast, Characters, Concept Art
Vintage posters gallery
Storyboards
Dolby Digital 5.1 sound
Limited edition animation cel
Rarely seen character sketch cards by Brian Froud
Collector's edition booklet

Most of those extras aren't available elsewhere, but it's not cheap.

Superbit:
http://www.amazon.com/Labyrinth-Sup...1-9647130?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1177177935&sr=1-9

Collectors Edition Box Set:
http://www.amazon.com/Labyrinth-Col...8210621-9647130?ie=UTF8&qid=1177177935&sr=1-1

Hope this helps! :stick_out_tongue:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
The standard Columbia Tri-Star release (first released in 199 and then reissued in 2003 with new cover art) is pretty good in terms of video quality and has a nice selection of bonus features - the "Inside the Labyrinth" documentary, theatrical trailers, talent files and production notes.

The 2003 "SuperBit" release features the film in the best quality possible. There are no extras or bonus features (they are intentionally left off of Superbit discs to utilize the full capacity of the disc to store the best video/audio possible with the minimum amount of digital compression). That's not to say the past releases have horribile video quality (in fact the 1999 DVD is very good quality), but that's the whole point of a SuperBit release.

The 2003 "Collector's Edition Box Set" (from Columbia Tri-Star) is a pretty good release too. It has all the bonus features from the 1999 release (the "Inside the Labyrinth" documentary, theatrical trailers, talent files and production notes); in addition it has six new photo galleries (Behind the Scenes, Cast, Characters, Concept Art, Vintage Poster Art and Storyboards). Plus there are some character sketch cards, a collector's edition booklet and a limited edition animation cel packed in the case too. If you want the "best" out there, this is it (although it is a bit more money). If you can live with out the cards, booklet and photo galleries go with the standard edition DVD (I've seen it going for around $10 or bundled with two other Henson films for $30)

MelissaY1

Reaction score
The standard Columbia Tri-Star release (first released in 199 and then reissued in 2003 with new cover art) is pretty good in terms of video quality and has a nice selection of bonus features - the "Inside the Labyrinth" documentary, theatrical trailers, talent files and production notes.

The 2003 "SuperBit" release features the film in the best quality possible. There are no extras or bonus features (they are intentionally left off of Superbit discs to utilize the full capacity of the disc to store the best video/audio possible with the minimum amount of digital compression). That's not to say the past releases have horribile video quality (in fact the 1999 DVD is very good quality), but that's the whole point of a SuperBit release.

The 2003 "Collector's Edition Box Set" (from Columbia Tri-Star) is a pretty good release too. It has all the bonus features from the 1999 release (the "Inside the Labyrinth" documentary, theatrical trailers, talent files and production notes); in addition it has six new photo galleries (Behind the Scenes, Cast, Characters, Concept Art, Vintage Poster Art and Storyboards). Plus there are some character sketch cards, a collector's edition booklet and a limited edition animation cel packed in the case too. If you want the "best" out there, this is it (although it is a bit more money). If you can live with out the cards, booklet and photo galleries go with the standard edition DVD (I've seen it going for around $10 or bundled with two other Henson films for $30)
yeah I've got the standard release myself, and I think it looks and sounds fantastic.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
yeah I've got the standard release myself, and I think it looks and sounds fantastic.
I agree. It isn't very expensive, it is really great quality, and it has an hour long documentary attached to it. Considering it is a standard release and not a special edition, I was very pleased with it.