1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Land of Gorch hatred

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by travellingpat, Jan 9, 2007.

1. travellingpat

travellingpat Active Member

Why did Belushi and the other cast members of SNL hate the Muppets so much...i mean they had been on since the first episode and their sketches were only like 5 minutes so they werent taking much time away from them....what gives? I think the sketches are great and i cant understand why they could hate them...
  2. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Well, there's actually alot of prejudice against puppets amongst "adults". I don't really find it all that surprising, really.

And I think Belushi was really the only one who didn't like the Muppets, other than the fact the writers hated writing for them. If the Muppets had been allowed to write for themselves on the show, I think it would have worked out a lot better for everyone.
  3. travellingpat

Thanks for clearing that up Scooter!
  4. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Belushi was outspoken in general, he didn't respect the women performers either (except for Gilda Radner eventually). He was a genius though, but like Super Scooter said, he was really the only one. So many other SNL alumni went on to do tons of stuff with the Muppets.
  5. travellingpat

Mhmm i knew he was always loud and spoke his mind...read Bernie Brillsteins autobiography for more...its really good

Chevy was in follow that bird...

who else?
  6. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Jane Curtain was in a sketch with The Two Headed Monster on Sesame Street. She's great, so funny!
  7. Davina

Davina Member

and, of course, Gilda hosted an episode of TMS (along with a large singing carrot...)
  8. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I remember reading that Chevy also wrote a few of the Gorch sketches, including the one where the Mighty Favog tries to convince him the Muppets are worth keeping on the show (offering the Beatles as gravy).
  9. Tim

Tim Member

It really all came from the writers. SNL is, was and will always be EXTREMELY competitive to get airtime for your ideas and performance. The writers DISPISED writing for the puppets (they even had a Big Bird doll hanging by a noose in the writer's room) and Gilda was the only one thet would "relate" to them backstage (anyone see the "Gilda Radner" movie?), and while I'm sure some of the other cast members appreciated Jim & Co., the whole thing became a joke and disaster, and Michael O'Donahue in particular thought that that Jim Henson was "insane" fro believing in the characters as characters. He really thought Jim was "disturbed-just like Shari Lewis".

When they went off to England to do TMS someone passed a sketch around of Scred with the words "Where are the mucking Fuppets?" (this was reproduced in an early SNL softcover scrapbook-the only reference to them at all in there.
  10. heralde

Well, as good as the 1st season of SNL was (the best in my opinion), it's a shame the writers couldn't appreciate what they had.
  11. Davina

Davina Member

on the other hand... would the muppets have developed in the ways we all came to love if they'd been left on SNL?? who knows what would have happened to them, or if we'd have ever had the chance at all the wonderful things that came later? (trying to be optimistic about their "booting"...)
  12. heralde

That's true, The Muppets certainly proved them wrong. The Muppet Show was in a way, their own version of SNL, and it worked!
  13. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I don't know about that. Jim was still trying to get a Muppet prime-time show on the air when SNL came out.

There is that theory that the Muppets were on the show primarily to distance themselves from Sesame Street, and show they could work for adults as well as kids. Thus, The Muppet Show, appealing to both, and neither should be embarassed that they watch it.
  14. travellingpat

Of course i agree..the 1st season is the best...

candygram!

landshark!!
  15. Tim

Tim Member

Loren Michaels fought for Jim and said he would have rather had "the Kermit & Piggy" types, and both agreed it just wasn't working. Jim accomplished a LOT with those little sketches. The first Muppets without "cartoon" eyes and they were a step futher in creating The Creature Shop stuff.

And in case you are wondering, they felt as creepy as they looked.

As for the first season of SNL in was great (and I saw them all "live from New York")-the single best show they EVER did was the Richard Prior show..

"THE BED IS ON MY FOOT! THE BED IS ON MY FOOT!"
  16. heralde

Oh I wasn't implying that Jim was trying to copy SNL. I know he'd been working on the idea of The Muppet Show for years. It's just that it ended up being a very similar show, and in a way, a sort of justice after being unappreciated on SNL.
  17. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

She didn't host, she gues tstarred. Kermit was the host. There is a world of difference.
  18. Muppet Newsgirl

Muppet Newsgirl Active Member

Ah, Scred. A face only a mother (and Lily Tomlin and Gilda Radner) could love. Yeah, Gilda seemed to like working with the Muppets...and after all, she did eventually cross the pond to work with Jim and the gang on TMS.

You know, I think there's an SNL reference in the Roger Moore episode of TMS; one of the animal spies comes up to Roger during the 'I Talk to the Animals' number and hands him a lit bomb, saying 'Candygram.'
  19. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

... actually, I was writing that to Davina's comment right before yours was posted. Sorry about that.
  20. Muppet Newsgirl

Muppet Newsgirl Active Member

And then, years later, the Muppets (as in the Muppet Show Muppets) made a few guest appearances on SNL.

I'll bet that when that happened, up in heaven, John Belushi blew a few capillaries...while over on their cloud, Jim and Richard had a good solid laugh.