Large Converted Oscar Poser Puppet

pinocchio

Reaction score
I love my MR Muppet posers, and would love to see a range of Sesame Street posers. Yes I KNOW this will never happen. So would be happy to have a go at making my own. Problem is suitable fur fabric is hard to come by.

So while I was on holiday in Poland last week imagine my glee when I happened upon a reasonably sized Oscar the Grouch puppet!

I’ve never seen him on any internet site or auction so had to have him!

He measures 60cm from base of fabric bin to top of head, but as soon as I got home I set to work modifying him into my own Sesame Street poser.

I built wire hinged skeleton for his hands and head so he is poseable a sourced a real garbage bin for him to live in. he now measures over 80cm tall.

I still want to do some more work on him, maybe swap his eyes for plastic ones, make a scott foam tongue (though this may stop his mouth from closing) and age the trash can. His head is not really the perfect shape but I can live with that.

I hope you enjoy the pictures and would love to hear from anyone who can tell me more about the puppet! Is it a new line? Or something that has been around for some time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43657576@N05/

P

muppetperson

Reaction score
Looks great! Maybe you could mat and dirty the fur.Did they only have the one puppet? I would love to get one, too! The only company I know that make a large Oscar puppet is Gund, but it doesnt look like theirs.If there are no production labels on it, it might be a bootleg.
Is it a full body puppet with legs?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
60 centimeters = 23.6220472 inches

I had to check that out. Looks cool!

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
hey looks great, and i think you gave me and idea on how to display my puppets with wire frame...and specific kind you use...dont wanna damage them either

pinocchio

Reaction score
ops sorry i didn't really explain myself fully...

it's an offically licenced product made by living-puppets, but just could not find any reference to it online so couldn't work out if it was a brand new product?

since my post i've found more info posted on what i think is their official website.

http://www.living-puppets.de/handpuppen-sesamstrasse-e.html

but take a look at thier online pictures, try clicking on oscar for a different view! :eek: did i just get lucky with mine or are they just bad pictures.

as you can see they do other characters too. saw bert, ernie, cookie monster and elmo. but oscar was by far the best likeness.

i used galvanised garden wire with plastic tubing for hinges.

P

muppetperson

Reaction score
ops sorry i didn't really explain myself fully...

it's an offically licenced product made by living-puppets, but just could not find any reference to it online so couldn't work out if it was a brand new product?

since my post i've found more info posted on what i think is their official website.

http://www.living-puppets.de/handpuppen-sesamstrasse-e.html

but take a look at thier online pictures, try clicking on oscar for a different view! :eek: did i just get lucky with mine or are they just bad pictures.

as you can see they do other characters too. saw bert, ernie, cookie monster and elmo. but oscar was by far the best likeness.

i used galvanised garden wire with plastic tubing for hinges.

P
Did your puppet have the material trash can lid on his head and base on his body(or look like it might of been there originally)?

pinocchio

Reaction score
Did your puppet have the material trash can lid on his head and base on his body(or look like it might of been there originally)?
Yes he came in a fabric trash can, which i have removed. it was WAY out of scale! as you can see he's perfectly happy in his new larger metal home.

The original DID also have a fabric lid but it wasn't attached to the puppet itself. it just had a little button hole so that you could attach it to the trash can, which has a small button just below the rim.

P