Last Episode/Reason Muppets Show ended?

Corbet

Reaction score
I remember as a little kid watching The Muppet Show on Nickelodeon. When visiting the site, I remember great memories of the show and how much I miss it. Does anyone know what happened on the last episode and why it got canned? or did they just end it?

Corbet

Reaction score
also, does anyone know how many seasons and episodes there were?:confused:

beaker

Reaction score
The TMS episodes on Nickeleodeon were very abbreviated for time. (Nick runs on a weird time, where they cut more than just for commercials to allow for cartoon shorts...though in the mid 90's they had pre Muppets Tonight! era Muppet sketches)

The early test pilots from 1974(Valentines Special, though most would agree 'Sex and Violence' is the poper pilot) kicked off the precursor to the Muppet show, which officially began in 1976 through 1981. The number one show in the world at one time, seen by millions. They ended with 120 episodes.
On www.kermitage.com there is a nifty episode guide.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
The last numerical episode, #120, is Roger Moore. The last episode taped, and the one intended as the series finale, was the show with Gene Kelly.

There were a variety of factors for why the show ended. Jim wanted to end the show while it was still popular rather than wait for audiences to get tired of it. He and the writers felt they had done all they could in the half-hour variety show format, for the time being. Also, Jim wanted to move on to other projects. Those are some of the factors I remember.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Corbet

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the last year Nick aired the muppets show?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the US, Nick aired the Muppet Show from 1994-1996.

SCOOTER_101

Reaction score
I thought Nick aired the Muppet Show right up until 1997, and not 1996.