Laugh track on the Muppet show....

Doogied

Reaction score
Now that the Muppet show is on every night here in Ottawa, I have started recording it in an effort to save the 200+$ American to buy it on DVD. Here's my question-the sound on some of these episodes has degraded quite a bit and instead of the laugh track you sometimes get a very tinny whine. Does it do the same thing on the DVD's? It's very distracting to say the least when it happens....sounds like summer time cicadas...tres odd.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I haven't ever heard anything like that. It just sounds like a laugh track to me. Is the episodes you're watching dubbed over in a different language or something, or is it the usual English verisions? That might have something to do with it if it's dubbed-over. Or it could be the tv/speaker maybe?

Doogied

Reaction score
All good in that area...

Nope, it's in English and I have full sound through my stereo so I can't imagine why it's making that sound but it does. The worst show it was on was the Wonder Woman show with Linda Blah blah blah (insert name I forgot here....) sounded like metal scraping on a tin can...icky.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Maybe they're "restoring" them and deleting the laugh tracks. They did the same thing with Rocky and Bullwinkle, only the opposite, they added laught tracks to the first 5 episodes, that's why if you see Jet Fuel Formula segments 1-10 now adays, you'll be expecting a laugh track.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
theyre probably original tapes for TV broadcasting and they probably have degraded quite a bit.

jediX

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Maybe they're "restoring" them and deleting the laugh tracks. They did the same thing with Rocky and Bullwinkle, only the opposite, they added laught tracks to the first 5 episodes, that's why if you see Jet Fuel Formula segments 1-10 now adays, you'll be expecting a laugh track.
I don't think they would ever remove the laughtrack from TMS (unless, of course, they're doing some kind of album thing) since its kind of a trademark to the show.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
And if they removed the laugh track from the show, no one would understand Kermit's joke in the Juliet Prowse episode where he kids about the fact that they don't really have an audience, just a laugh track.