Lawrence "Larry" King

jacobsnchz

Reaction score
I just found this out. Just randomly thought I'd post it.

---------

Lawrence "Larry" King (January 13, 1993 - February 12, 2008), was a 15-year-old student at E.O. Green Junior High School in Oxnard, California, United States. He was murdered on February 12, 2008. The suspect, 14-year-old fellow student Brandon McInerney is currently being charged with murder and is seeking a relocation of the venue. It was reported that the suspect's motivation for the crime was that King was gay, and as such, the shooting was deemed a hate crime murder by prosecutors.

At approximately 8:15 a.m., an eighth grade 15-year-old boy, identified as Lawrence Fobes King (“Larry”) was shot in the head by another student in a computer lab classroom. Days before the murder, King asked McInerney to be his valentine. King was transported to St. John's Regional Medical Center and was listed in serious condition. Examiners had declared King brain dead. King was kept on life support until February 15, 2008, so his organs could be donated. It was reported that King was shot because he was openly gay and sometimes dressed in a "feminine" manner. Prosecutors have discussed charging the 14-year-old shooter with premeditated murder with enhancements for the use of a firearm and commission of a hate crime.

CNN Video: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/02/24/gonzales.oxnard.shooting.cnn

------

Fighting back tears, Ellen DeGeneres spoke about Lawrence "Larry" King, a 15-year-old boy who was killed on Feb. 12 because he was gay.
Brandon McInerney, 14, has been charged with shooting King in the head in a classroom full of students at E.O. Green Junior High School in Oxnard, California.
“I would like you to start paying attention to how often being gay is the punchline of a monologue or how often gay jokes are in a movie,u201D DeGeneres said to an estimated 2.5 million viewers. “And that kind of message, laughing at someone because they’re gay, is just the beginning. It starts with laughing at someone, and then it’s verbal abuse, then it’s physical abuse, and it’s this kid Brandon killing a kid like Larry.”
Days before he was murdered, King had asked his killer to be his valentine, and witnesses reportedly saw McInerney taunting King about being gay. Local law enforcement officials have not discussed a motive in the shooting, but prosecutors have also charged McInerney with committing a hate crime. It’s widely assumed that the hate-crime allegation is related to King’s sexuality.
“Larry was not a second-class citizen,u201D DeGeneres said in her remarks. “I am not a second-class citizen. It’s okay if you’re gay.”
And this may not be the only time DeGeneres addresses the issue on her show. I hear producers may be putting together a future segment about the killing, with appearances by King’s family, friends and school officials.

"Ellen" clip: http://ellen.warnerbros.com/2008/02/a_tragedy_that_should_never_ha.php

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That is truly horrible. Contrary to popular belief, kids are not safe, nor are they being taught well or supported in this country.

I like that Ellen commented on it, though I partially disagree. I agree that pop culture's humor about this topic goes way too far sometimes, and it's considered perfectly acceptable. But on the other hand, I don't want to go too far and say you can never make a joke. Every group gets made fun of, and it's not always bad.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
That is a tragedy. I just don't understand that kind of fear and hatred.

People should be able to have a sense of humor about him or herself, but there's always a line. Being gay I have had my share of issues here and there - some big, some minor, but it's really the little things that bug me the most. :sympathy:

A friend of mine in college started throwing around the language "That's so gay" about things she chose to mock until I finally had to take her aside and politely talk with her. The phrase had been so ingrained into her vocabulary that she didn't really get the negative association being perpetuated by her thoughtless remarks. I asked her that when she felt like blurting that needless remark out of habit - to insert another minority for the term gay and see if it still felt okay. I never heard her say it again. Who knows if she did, but I didn't have to witness it so that's something.

We don't all have to walk on eggshells, but it doesn't take much effort to try to be thoughtful of others even if we disagree. You know, I have found the streets of San Francisco to be much more venomous toward gays than Houston (my hometown) or Manhattan.

And where the heck are people getting all these dang guns? :mad:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And where the heck are people getting all these dang guns? :mad:
Well, my big question is where are they getting their hate and insecurity (no one does things like that unless they're unhappy).

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well, my big question is where are they getting their hate and insecurity (no one does things like that unless they're unhappy).
I think, in part, that it has to do with a growing isolation in modern culture. Internet, ipods, PSPs, cell phones are all great devices, but instead of connecting us they actually create bubble worlds. It can be jarring when such a person has to leave that and face real people in person. I'm glad that technology wasn't around when I was in high school. I know for a fact that I would be a very different less social person today. I’m not saying that technology is bad, but with all the classes being taught on development and use there needs to be some sort of psychological user’s guide.

So, that's one theory on a source of insecurity in young people. I don't think it's just one factor, rather an accumulation of many things. A mix of certain variables and access to a gun and this happens. Guns have been around for a long time - the question is what's so different now? I don't believe in a war of cultures so much as a divide of understanding.

These days personal contact is becoming less relevant. Also, I do have an issue with guns because use of them is much quicker and the result less ambiguous than most other weapons. Availability of guns paired with growing ignorance makes for a bad combination.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm glad that technology wasn't around when I was in high school. I know for a fact that I would be a very different less social person today.
Oh I have definitely felt the same way! Especially with all the cyber bullying. I thought things were bad when I was a kid! It just makes me cry to think of the pain kids are constantly going through.

I have a mixed mind with guns. It's probably too easy for certain people to get them. But on the other hand, I do think tragedies could be stopped if people had them (or at least if the police were more readily available).

Beakerfan

Reaction score
That's really sad.... but to be honest, I'm not at all surprised it happened in California. Kids around here can be seriously dangerous, and no one wants to take responsibility for it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I do identify with the "on a different planet" feeling, heh.

Anyway, I just pray for the boy who was killed and his family, it's truly awful. And also for the boy who did it. Perhaps this will eventually be a lesson to him and/or to others in the future. There is always hope. :smile:

Btw, it's good that this was posted, it's definitely important.

BEAR

Reaction score
Very sad. My thoughts go out to his loved ones.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Thanks for posting, Jacob, it definitely promoted interesting discussion!