Learn Something New Everyday Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Apparently AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON ripped off the Upsidasium arc of Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
did you know the lion sounds form the lion king didn't come from actual lions? they used tiger roars instead and voice actor frank welker roaring into a garbage can.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Apparently Indians only account for less than 1% of the entire population in the U.S., which I find odd considering it seems like all the hotels and most of the convenience stores in the U.S. are owned and operated by Indians.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, now I got another of the very layered jokes in episodes of Animaniacs.

Remember the episode "Sir Yakksalot?" How at one point a caricature of magician Doug Henning appears as Merlin? Well, it's not just a reference to him being a magician... I just read this on TVTropes...

• Stage Magician Doug Henning had two Broadway Musicals written around him, despite not being a singer; the first was The Magic Show in 1974, with music by Stephen Schwartz, which was a huge success and ran for four years. It was based around Henning's unusal stage persona; set in a nightclub where a new scruffy magician goes up against a more traditional top-hat magician (played by David Ogden Stiers). The other was Merlin in 1983, based around the character from Arthurian Legend, but young and inexperienced. It also featured Chita Rivera as an evil sorceress and was the Broadway debut of Nathan Lane. It was a critical and commercial flop, notorious for having an exceptionally long preview period without officially opening, and while still charging full ticket prices (much like Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark did, years later).
They referenced a musical so obscure, it's only known for failure. yep. Another "Bullwinkle Joke" from that team. You know, something that goes over the kids and adults' heads?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I thought I had every reason to hate Lena Dunham, and now I've got a new one in my back pocket: she repeatedly sexually assaulted her little sister, even when she was as young as one-year-old.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Billy West does the voice of Red M&M, and I can't believe I couldn't figure it out before - I mean, he sounds like a deeper and more irritable Bugs Bunny circa SPACE JAM.

aebthegofer

Reaction score
I was just watching The Jefferson's, and I was curious as to how old Sherman Hemsley and Isabel Sanford were during the show. So, to good ol' Wikipedia I went!
When the show started in 1975, Sherman Hemsley (George) was 37. Isabel Sanford (Weezy) was 58!
All I can say is Isabel Sanford certainly aged well! I honestly thought that they were the same age, or there about.

~Aeb:wink:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I was just watching The Jefferson's, and I was curious as to how old Sherman Hemsley and Isabel Sanford were during the show. So, to good ol' Wikipedia I went!
When the show started in 1975, Sherman Hemsley (George) was 37. Isabel Sanford (Weezy) was 58!
All I can say is Isabel Sanford certainly aged well! I honestly thought that they were the same age, or there about.

One of my favorite entertainment rumors/legends is that Sherman Hemsley was a huge fan of British art rock, bands like Yes and Gentle Giant and King Crimson, and apparently worked on album with Jon Anderson of Yes in the 1990s. Unfortunately it has not been released, but I would pay about 1 zillion dollars to hear it.

aebthegofer

Reaction score
One of my favorite entertainment rumors/legends is that Sherman Hemsley was a huge fan of British art rock, bands like Yes and Gentle Giant and King Crimson, and apparently worked on album with Jon Anderson of Yes in the 1990s. Unfortunately it has not been released, but I would pay about 1 zillion dollars to
After you pay 1 zillion dollars to hear it, let me know how it was!:sing:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I learned how to recover and restore permanently deleted files today! Came in handy when I accidentally deleted the exported file of the Adobe Premiere project I was workin on (that I wasn't able to revoer, but I was able to recover the project itself and al the files that were used in it).