Learn Something New Everyday Thread

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
On a related note to that, they say you should keep milk in the back of your refrigerator, since its the coldest part and can keep the milk colder. Apparently it stops it from going bad as fast. Whether or not this is really true I don't know since it seems like milk just goes bad really fast where we live. It's the strangest thing. Must be the climate.
You're right about that.

WemblinFool18

Reaction score
1) Y'know the hippie van in Cars? Fillmore? The hippie van who sells organic fuel and plays Jimi Hendrix?

He was voiced by George Carlin... Jeezus, I can't even picture that

2) Forrest Gump wasn't supposed to have an accent. Tom Hanks was cast first, and initially was just reading the script straight. Forrest spoke with a heavy Southern accent in the book, but the crew made the decision to make it less prominent. But when they cast Michael Conner Humphreys, who did normally speak with the accent, as young Forrest, Tom was obliged to learn to speak with the accent too. Everybody changed it so that Forrest would have the famous voice we know today.

WemblinFool18

Reaction score
The word "hubris" (as in, Sir Hubris) actually means overly arrogant to the point of letting reality slip away from you. This was in the dictionary of literary devices.

Give me a second :'D

WemblinFool18

Reaction score
In 1961, Mel Blanc, the voice of the Looney Tunes, was involved in a near-fatal car crash and was rushed to the hospital. He wasn't expected to live. He remained unconscious for about 2 weeks, until the doctor finally got an idea. The doctor went to Mel Blanc's bedside, clapped his hands and said, "Bugs! Can you hear me, Bugs?".

And Mel faintly uttered, "What's up, Doc?"

Then the doctor said, "Porky! Can you hear me?" Mel said, "I c-c-can h-hear you." He kept it up, with other characters responding each time.

This is how Mel was eventually brought out of his unconsciousness. His characters were revived before "Mel" himself was. This is unbelievable, an amazing story. <3

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Apparently Knoxville's been ranked #4 of cities with the most attractive people in America.

I guess since I was technically born in Nashville, I missed out on that. :stick_out_tongue:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It would seem that part of my signature style is apparently a big fashion trend in Japan right now, go fig.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Like Mike Myers, Jim Carrey now has his own stamp up in Canada.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So apparently its against the law to feed homeless people in Ft. Lauderdale.

Y'know, I spent a week in Ft. Lauderdale about forteen years ago... it's quite a dumpy city, so this really doesn't change my opinion that much.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Apparently my sister tried to kill me when I was baby. Sibling rivalry cranked to 11.