Lefty the Salesman

mikealan

Reaction score
Hi, fans. Does any of you love the shafty Muppet salesman wearing a trenchcoat? I remember him as a baby as he sang "Would You Like To Buy An O?" as he sells the O to Ernie and I also remember the skit I saw on the video "Play Along Games And Songs" where he sells Ernie the four elephants picture. Now when I was a teen, I defiantely loved the preview of the "U" one where he spoke in a very low Big Bird voice on the A&E Biography special and this preview goes like this:

(The scene is grayish-green. The "U" is made by rope.)

LEFTY: See this U?
ERNIE: Is this U right here?
LEFTY: SHHHH! We've had this U in my family for years...
ERNIE: Oh yeah?
LEFTY: But today I'm sorry to say--I'm gonna have to send it to you.
ERNIE: To me? Wow!
LEFTY: SHHHH!

That's all I saw. I wish I can see the whole sketch.
And I never saw the early skit where he sells an "8" to Ernie from the first season...I just saw the pics of it a few years ago on Noggin's Best Choice Awards, but then it's gone.
Do you guys have a video clip or an MP3 of the skits with Lefty the Salesman? Please let me know!

Mumu Talpaz

Reaction score
I agree that Lefty rules.

If I remember correctly, according to the SS Unpaved book, the U ends up getting bent, and Lefty tries to sell it as a V.

Ermi

Reaction score
I'm looking for a picture of Lefty!!!
It would be great if you could help me!!
thanks
David

beaker

Reaction score
Aw yes, good ol Lefty...teaching kids all about the fun of seeling illegal contraband like vowels and other banned merchandise^_^
Speaking of merch, theres actually a lefty PVC that was made...not sure what other Lefty stuff was made. Sadly hes been relegated to the broom closet limbo of Forgetful Jones, Harvey Kneeslapper, and Bad Andy^_^

Thijs

Reaction score
Our site is missing a good Lefty picture too. Let us know if somebody has a good pic of him.

Censored

Reaction score
mikealan said:
Hi, fans. Does any of you love the shafty Muppet salesman wearing a trenchcoat? I remember him as a baby as he sang "Would You Like To Buy An O?" as he sells the O to Ernie and I also remember the skit I saw on the video "Play Along Games And Songs" where he sells Ernie the four elephants picture.
Look closely at that four elephant picture skit. Lefty loses his ears!

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
Beaker. "Aw yes, good ol Lefty...teaching kids all about the fun of seeling illegal contraband like vowels and other banned merchandise."

You may have been joking, but you've hit the nail on the head. Lefty was phased out - rightly, I think - because the image of a suspicious stranger selling things to kids does not sit well with an educational children's show.

I'm sure Eric Jacobson can do an excellent Lefty, but that's one character who will remain in the broom closet.

secret squirrel

Censored

Reaction score
I think some people may have missed the point about Lefty The Salesman. Sesame Street was based on an urban setting so they had a character selling merchandise on the corner. Perhaps it was implied that the goods were stolen, but that was it. It wasn't supposed to be about drugs or sex. That's adult imaginations running amuck.

In almost every skit, Lefty got the worst of it either by being outsmarted by Ernie or failing on his own. He was once even arrested. The only time I recall his coming out with a semi-victory was when he sold Ernie the elephant painting (and even then the poor fool lost his ears).

As a very young child I watched him and realized that he was "a crook", but I never thought of him as someone to emulate or consider a hero. He was just a funny loser who always messed up.

I don't think the original producers, writers, and educators of Sesame Street were incompetent, uncaring, or unaware. I think they were just able to keep things in the right perspective. I think we have a tendency to overanalyze everything these days and see a demon under every playpen.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
rememebr when he tried to sell Ernie air? he calls Bert because he's excited about this and drops his air and become emotional about it. Bert says well something like what did you loose? it couldn't of just disappeared into thin air. Ernie says it could of Bert! it could of!

fatblue

Reaction score
Lefty

Those were always my favorite skits! Especially if Ernie talked too loud, Lefty would give him a stern "SHHHH!!!!'

The one with the number '8' is hilarious! Listen to Ernie's response as Lefty keeps shh'ing him, remember?

Lefty "If you forget what time you eat breakfast in the morning.." (opens his coat with the 8 in it)

Ernie (loudly) "AHA! I eat breakfast at 8!!"

Lefty "SHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Ernie "KWW KWWW KKWW!!!"

Or something to that sound he made. FUNNY!!!