1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Let's Take a Stand:The Muppet Show Season 4 and 5

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Muppet Master, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Wait what are we talking about again? Oh yeah some DVDs that will probably never see the light of day.

2. DutchMuppet

DutchMuppet Member

If you have a region-free dvd player there are numerous dvd's with that episode on them. On my Dutch Muppet Show Compilation boxset "De Beste Afleveringen van The Muppet Show: Komieken, Acteurs, Actrices", there is the Star Wars episode on disc 2. On the same disc there is Season 4 Dudley Moore and Season 5 Roger Moore episode. Disc 3 contains the Season 5 Brooke Shields episode (one of my favorite!).

The next boxset that got released was"De Beste Afleveringen van The Muppet Show: Zangers, Zangeressen" contained: Season 4 John Denver, Liza Minelli and Diana Ross. From Season 5 Paul Simon, Shirley Bassey and Gladys Knight. So these you can cross from your list.

And I also know it's on some British compilation dvd like "Best of The Muppet Show" and "The Very Best of the Muppet Show: Volume 1"

3. panmanthe2nd

panmanthe2nd Active Member

I know Disney won't release until they want to, but I do think we should make sure they know we want them to!

4. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

ya Demand and supply lol!

5. Pinkflower7783

Because it's people from MC they def should listen to us. :D :p

6. Twisted Tails

Twisted Tails Well-Known Member

Or reverse psychology - supply and demand. (sighs)

7. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

I very highly doubt that.

Did you read DrTooth's previous post about the greedy and miserly music rights holders and estate owners that refuse to budge and say yes to clearing the various music copyrights, celebrity appearances, etc.?

8. DutchMuppet

DutchMuppet Member

And lets one thing clear. If Disney can make money, they will make money. They are a billion dollar company. They have the best people in the company. Maybe something else is the problem. Maybe there isn't a market for those boxsets of season 4 and 5. Maybe it's not the answer we want to hear. But besides the fans who want to buy it? No one will see season 4 and think: I don't have Season 1, 2 and 3 but I will buy Season 4. It's more likely they will buy a new Muppet Movie. I don't know the sales figures for Boxset 1, 2 and 3. Maybe Season 3 sold so poorly they are not going to release it. Sometimes we forget one thing: For Disney we (The Muppet Fans) aren't the target group. Look, what the Star Wars fans are getting (besides the new movies). It's not so much more then what we get. And the Star Wars fandom is trillion size more bigger. We must be happy that Disney is doing so much with the franchise. Wait till you see, what they will do when MMW won't sell enough. It will be the nineties all over again. One piece of advice: Enjoy the ride, peeps. It will not last forever...:concern:

9. dwayne1115

When Season One came out it was on Amazons top ten list for a couple of weeks. I think the others where as well.

10. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

IF that's the case. Which is completely baffling if they did indeed clear everything when they planned on releasing S4 and 5. If it's just them moaning the fact they have to release something as a not movie, that's their own fault, and frankly one that encompasses the entire Disney catalog. Seasons 1-3 still sell well, and always pop up when they're trying to promote The Muppets. Only circumstances beyond their control would be excusable for that level of complete obliviousness.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that one, but Disney should REALLY learn to outsource its DVD production. They did for those awful 2000 era sitcoms (like anyone really wants According to Jim). I'm hugely disappointed in their lack of faith in the Disney Afternoon releases that they couldn't even finish Talespin and Ducktales off.

Something tells me that if they fail to release the darn Ewoks cartoon, you KNOW the Star Wars fanbase will pitch a fit, even if they don't really want it.

dwayne1115 likes this.
  11. dwayne1115

I would even settle for a best of set, like the ones from Sony. They where nice, and the extra content although somewhat lacking they where really fun little DVD's

12. Duke Remington

Someone here REALLY needs to try and make contact with The Muppets Studio to get the scoop!

13. Duke Remington

They did release the remaining TaleSpin episodes on DVD as a Disney Movie Club exclusive, if that counts for anything.

14. dwayne1115

Fine if they are so die hard set on not releasing seasons 4 and 5 why not just put the whole show on Netflix? That way people could watch the Muppets whenever they wanted.

15. Pinkflower7783

16. dwayne1115

Short and two the point.....but I don't think they where listening.

17. Twisted Tails

Twisted Tails Well-Known Member

You know why they are not listening? They cannot decide! What a bunch of wemblers and lazy people. :sigh:

18. dwayne1115

No I think there has to be some underlining reason or reasons, and I don't think that it's because they hate releasing boxed sets. There are a number of other ways they could have used seasons 4,and 5, and for some reason they have not. It's almost like as far as Disney is concerned seasons 4 and 5 just never happened.

Muppet Master likes this.
  19. Pinkflower7783

Exactly my point they weren't...

20. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

We're very late in the DVD game, they're this close to complete obsolescence. I would actually hate to see Best ofs. And if that were the case, something tells me they'd all be from the first 3 seasons anyway.

If it were only that easy. We lost all our usual inside men. Unless I'm remembering something that didn't happen, I swear we even had a list of what segments would be cut in the first season, and the potential cut list for season 2 (before they tried harder to get those stubborn licenses). Season 3, we even had a long list of special features they couldn't get the rights to. At least I want to know if anything can't be negotiated, what exact songs were cut so... well... we could at least vilify the old misers that own those song rights.

Muppet Master likes this.