Let's talk about History!

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Alright, I know this'll sound like a super boring topic to some of you, but I LOVE history. Ever since I was little i've loved it.
Ancient times, the dark ages, modern times. World War II, the Fall of Rome, you name it! History is full of interesting stories and life lessons. And the thing that makes it so interesting is it's made up of interesting tales, but unlike Moby Dick or The Cat in the Hat, these amazing things actually happened, and actual people lived through them.
So where are my history buffs at?(wow, that sounds so nerdy when I say it out loud, lol)

Here's an weird story I heard recently: So apparently Benjamin Franklin was asked to send in papers on scientific research to an organization in Brussels that promoted science and the arts. Franklin, believing that this organization was pretentious and impractical, instead sent them an essay about farts. Yes that's right, one of our founding fathers wrote a humorous paper about farts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fart_Proudly

Do you have a favorite or fascinating story from back in the day that you want to share? It can be about anything. The only rule is, it has to have happened before the 80s and it can't be too politically biased.
I hope to hear some stories soon!

JonTheMuppet

Reaction score
Okay, I'll chip in here because I, too, am a big history fan. Last year as part of VCE (Australian high school) History, I studied the American Revolution and the Russian Revolution. I tended to like the American Revolution more because of its central ideas: liberty, self-government, and opposition to British rule. You start to see in the 1770s the development of the ideals that made the United States the way it is today, more or less.

Favourite historical event? Probably Watergate. A huge political event that cost Richard Nixon the presidency. The thing I like about it is how deeper the rabbit hole goes as you read about it, in other words, the dodgier and dodgier it gets. The burglary happened first, yes, but then the investigators learned of a money trail going to the Committee to Re-Elect the President. And THEN came the discovery of Nixon's tape recording system in the White House... It goes on. It's just a crazy, crazy thing to happen.
After it was all over, Nixon claimed: "If the President does it, that means it's not illegal."
So there's that.