Letterman's Gonna Be a Daddy!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Today is just full of surprising news. At least this piece is pretty happy. I'm a big fan of Dave Letterman, and I just heard on the news that he is going to be a father! His long-time girlfriend (never knew he had one :stick_out_tongue:) is several months pregnant. Imagine Letterman, a father! :halo: Should be interesting...
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Speaking of celebrity babies, Good Morning America's weatherman Tony Perkins is about to be a father! They've been mentioning this on the show for some time. Last week they gave him a shower and today they gave him the royal send-off, with him announcing the line-up of replacements for the next 4 weeks and then receiving a surprised congratulatory call from Ringo Starr (it was funny, when they said he had a call from a big name in music, Ringo was who I guessed :stick_out_tongue: ). As he was leaving he said he would be mighty tempted to come back Monday for Simon and Garfunkel but as the baby's due Sunday he would probably have other plans! I guess he can watch from the hospital. Maybe Artie and Paul can give him a special shout-out. :halo: I've watched GMA for years, and while I like Diane Sawyer infinitely more than Lisa or Joan Lunden, and I'm crazy about Charlie, my favorite member of the show was Spencer Christian, who preceded Tony. I just got such a kick out of him and was so disappointed when he left. I think it's pretty incredible that they could find such a perfect replacement for him. Tony seems to have all the good qualities I loved about Spencer, and he's a music expert to boot. I particularly remember his moving tribute to George Harrision the day he died and his recap of Simon and Garfunkel history when Art was on the program earlier in the year. Anyway, great guy, and I hope all goes well with the delivery. Congratulations Tony! :smile:
Erin

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
i can see it now, dave letterman on his his show announcing the top ten list. category, top ten ways dave is going to be a great father. then he starts going down the list with a whole bunch of things that most fathers would never let their children do!....

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
well with his sense of humor, sounds like he'll be a lot like my dad.....

in other words: the other kid

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
not many, obviously! if she's several months pregnant, the press was behind, for once! (which is a rare, but good thing in this day and age)

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Letterman made the official announcement on Friday's show. It was pretty cool. He said he felt a little silly, as it was something he had never expected would happen to him, but he was really nervous and really excited. He got a huge cheer from the audience when he said he was going to be a father. It was really sweet. I don't think there was a Top Ten list. I could be wrong because the broadcast was screwed up and there were some moments of just the blank screen, and I guess it could have been on then but I don't think there was a Top Ten list at all. Paul Simon needled Dave a bit between their two songs; Dave said how excited he was about the tour and asked if he could open for them, and Paul said, "Sure, because you're going to have so much free time on your hands after the baby comes! You're gonna spend your time opening for Simon and Garfunkel instead of spending it with your baby!" It was kinda funny.
Erin

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
What songs did Paul sing, just out of curiosity? Because it would have been ironic (and just plain funny) if he had done his song from the Wild Thornberries movie.

David Letterman as a parent. Dang, I just can't wrap my brain around that one. And if he's excited about being a parent, his mother must be just tickled to death at being a grandparent.

-Kim

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Skeeter Muppet said:
What songs did Paul sing, just out of curiosity? Because it would have been ironic (and just plain funny) if he had done his song from the Wild Thornberries movie.

David Letterman as a parent. Dang, I just can't wrap my brain around that one. And if he's excited about being a parent, his mother must be just tickled to death at being a grandparent.

-Kim
That would have been spookily appropriate! 'Course he could have changed it too, at the last minute for the occasion, since he was just accompanying himself on his guitar. But since it was him and Artie, they were doing Simon and Garfunkel songs. They sang "America," and then they talked for a while and sang "The Boxer." I missed a little bit of the talking because our local broadcast cut out on us; it was just a blank screen. But I caught most of it, and on tape too.

I was just thinking a couple weeks ago about how Dave would be as a father. It is an odd thought. I know, his mom must be thrilled!!!! :big_grin: Does he have any siblings (i.e. neices and nephews)? If she's a first-time grandma at her age, she must be absolutely over the moon!!!!
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
They announced on GMA this morning that Tony Perkins' wife delivered a healthy baby boy, Connor. Yay!!!! :smile:
Erin