Letters in Sand

mikealan

Reaction score
Do you guys remember the series of these alphabet animations?
Here are my memories:

The music that is playing in the background is the banjo. It starts where a man's voice says the capital letter, and then a child's voice says a small letter until this is over.

During my whole life, I remembered watching the letters C, E, F, I, J, L, M, S, T, U and Y...I think "A" and "N" appeared on any Season 32 episodes.

These are alot similar to the typewriter guy on wheels cartoons, too!

ssetta

Reaction score
They're from about the same time, and they stopped using those along with the typewriter with wheels. It seems like they just don't like the old stuff anymore. But in Season 33, Pinball #8 and #11 were both used. But I don't know about Season 34.

Billy's Girl

Reaction score
Why do the Sesame Street people stop using all the stuff I loved as a kid - I lived for the Pinball skits when I was young!!!!!

mikealan

Reaction score
Classic clips are gone...

That's right, guys, I'm telling you...

Letters In Sand animation and The Typewriter Guy are now gone.

I think that the old number baker series and the number painter films end in the late '80's, but the race cars/spies series and the surreal "E" segment with the boy and the Easter egg were STILL shown in the early '90's!

What years are the Baker, Jazz Numbers, Painter, the E segment with the boy and the Easter egg, the O segment with the goat and the bulldozer, Twelve Balls In the Desert claymation, a live film where an orange ball rides on the roller-coaster, and a live film about the red-hot letter "I" being made end?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I remember the baker counting sketches from when I was a kid, so they had to have played those in the 80s. However, I think I read that those sketches date back to as far as the first season.

ssetta

Reaction score
Well, I think they still use the Pinball segments because people still play with pinball machines all over the place. But practically nobody uses a typewriter anymore, and they have all these things about computers.

I think the Baker series was retired because in the early 80s, parents called in and complained about the baker falling down the stairs as being a bad influence, where kids would try doing it at home and get hurt.

I think the Jazzy Spies was used much later, especially #8. All I know is there is a Noggin episode from the 1987-88 season that uses the one for #8. And for some reason, I thought I remember seeing the Baker #9 during the early 90s. What they might have done is just aired the series without the baker falling.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Originally posted by ssetta
I think the Jazzy Spies was used much later, especially #8. All I know is there is a Noggin episode from the 1987-88 season that uses the one for #8. And for some reason, I thought I remember seeing the Baker #9 during the early 90s. What they might have done is just aired the series without the baker falling.
That's crazy! How would they stick the ending on at the end if that were true?

I used to get so tired of those sand sequences 'cause I saw 'em sooooooo much. I'm surprised they don't have 'em anymore.

One thing I'm sure we'll never see on SS again is ... The Pee Wee Herman Alphabet. Remember that, Mike?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
To ssetta: Just what animation is shown during the jazzy/spies 8 and stair-falling baker 9 sketches?
I fondly remember the "Letters in the sand" though I call them a different name. These two little stick figures with pointy heads showed up, formed the letter in both upper and lower case, and then the whole scene got covered in paint thus blanking the screen. I inwardly call these guys the Alpha-Ghosts. The reason why I don't like the computer screen letter segments is because there's no play nor originality with them like there was with the Typewriter guy. The typewriter guy gave you a letter, a word, and a bit of comical interaction. The computer screens just flash the letter in different fonts until the one type gets printed on a piece of paper. Well, at least Cookie Monster is bringing back some of the fun in daily letter segments like these. That's all I've got for now.

MIKEB97

Reaction score
Originally posted by Boober_Gorg
That's crazy! How would they stick the ending on at the end if that were true?

I used to get so tired of those sand sequences 'cause I saw 'em sooooooo much. I'm surprised they don't have 'em anymore.

One thing I'm sure we'll never see on SS again is ... The Pee Wee Herman Alphabet. Remember that, Mike?
I love the the Pee Herman Alphabet. I laughed when he yelled, "U, V, W!" and when he whispered, "I'ts very, very small." That skit is used in an episode from 1988 where Maria and Luis go on their honeymoon.