Letters to the Past

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
This was inspired by a LiveJournal post from someone on my LJ Friends list. What would the you of today, this year, write to the you in the past or someone else in your past? What would you tell yourself?

Dear Kim of 2000:

Don't take that student internship at Sundstrand over the summer. It may be a nice paycheck and it might be interesting to work with Dad, but with what little work they do to give you it's just not worth it. You'd be better off working as a file clerk at Hulsulbus again.

When you get to school, interact with your roommate more. Get to know her. Exchange more than just greetings when you see each other. Find out more about her than just what her major is.

Maybe then she'll hang around.

Sincerely,
Kim of 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Kim of January 2001:

This is going to be one of the worst four months of your life. The proverbial Semester in [CENSORED]. Hang in there. Things will get better, and the memories will fade eventually.

Sincerely,
Kim of 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Kim of November 1997:

Thanksgiving is going to be the last time you see Grandpa Frank alive. Do not, I implore you, do not remain on one side of the room and barely look at him lying in that hospital bed in his living room. Go over and talk to him, tell him you love him; [CENSORED], tell him Happy Thanksgiving for [CENSORED]'s sake! I know it hurts to even look in his direction and see what the grandparent you love has become, but if you don't you're going to regret it come December and for the rest of your life.

Sincerely,
Kim of 2005

Dear Grandpa of December 1997:

Goodbye, Grandpa. I love you. I miss you.

Love,
Kim of 2005

Dear Kimberly of 1985:

Congratulations, you're starting kindergarten. You're going to make a friend with someone, and she will be your friend up until first grade when she gets moved to a different classroom. Get used to this. You will make friendships and lose them every year you are in elementary school. To make matters worse, your classmates will either be indifferent or cruel to you. You will be subjected to enough teasing and bullying to make you break down in tears (or want to break down in tears) on more than one occasion.

Hang in there. Don't let them see how much it bothers you. Be strong. You'll make it.

Sincerely,
Kim of 2005

P.S. - get used to everybody calling you "Kim" instead of "Kimberly". They're going to call you that no matter how many times you tell them to call you "Kimberly". Eventually you're going to prefer it.

Dear Kim of May 1991:

Having now gotten through fifth grade and everything you had to put up with, you now set your sights on the sixth grade - middle school. There will be much of the same experiences there as there were in elementary school, the bullying and humiliation included, but there will be one difference.

Someone new will be in your grade. Her name is Kelly. She's from Kansas, and recently lost her dad in a plane crash. You'll meet on the first day of school. Kelly is going to be the best thing that's ever happened to you. Other friends will come and go over the course of your middle and high school experiences, but you and Kelly are going to become as close as sisters. Treasure that friendship, hold onto it with all you've got and then some.

Sincerely,
Kim of 2005

P.S. - I was right about that "Kim" thing, wasn't I?

baby sinclair

Reaction score
Dont slack off so bad your freshman year.Cause i made it only by the skin of my teeth. :smirk: