Lew Zealand

HerryGrail

Reaction score
I just tore myself away from the new Lew Zealand figure. He may be the best figure I've ever seen, and that's saying something.

Usually with an articulated figure I end up leaving them "standing still," as any other pose doesn't really match the static facial expression you're stuck with. That's because most figures are of cartoon characters whose faces would have changed to match anything but a "mannequin" pose. With the (real) Muppets, there's usually only one expression, so the figures don't look odd when you do something fun with the positioning. (Does that make sense?) Lew is one of the most articulated figures I've owned, and the opportunities for "throwing" positions are limitless. One tip: he stands very well on the one foot that connects to the stand, so the other one can lift off the "ground" to really help simulate a pitcher's (or thrower's) wind-up.

I've been a little lukewarm to this line. I've had a hard time finding ones with acceptable paint jobs, and some of the sculpts have been so-so (couldn't they see immediately that the bridge on Scooter's glasses was way too wide?). When you try so hard for absolute realism, the little inconsistent details stand out (has any rod-arm Muppet ever had knuckles? Ask Crazy Harry). That said, I had to take the only Lew that I could find, and he is absolutely perfect. No touch-up needed! The costume, especially the collar and tails, are exquisitely done, and the plastic representation of "hair" is the best so far. The fish are incredible, and the face is dead-on. How did they get that paint detail inside the mouth??

Congratulations to Palisades on this one. I loved their "Year Without A Santa Claus" line, and look forward to more awesome things in the future. The new Lew has really knocked me over.