Life-Size George Harrison Marionette

Unknown Delight

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I have been meaning to come back here and share this with you all, as this seems to be a place where i think this project i have been working on would have a enthusiastic audience.

Since folks here seem to appreciate all forms of puppetry and figure animation, i thought i would post here and let everyone know about a character i built earlier this year- a lifesize marionette of George Harrison.

I have been making and performing with my own handcrafted marionettes for well over 35 years, but 'George' is by far in my own opinion my best work to date. At a later time i will share more photos of my other characters, but for now i will let you enjoy these performance videos i shot a few months back.

Watch 'George' perform here on YouTube-

http://www.youtube.com/user/pizzatimeplayer

Read all about his creation, and see many nice photographs of my 'George' marionette here on the official George Harrison Forum-

http://board.georgeharrison.com/viewtopic.php?q=board/viewtopic.php&f=8&t=15630

Enjoy, and i look forward to any comments.

Melonpool

Reaction score
I am so incredibly impressed with this. I wonder what would happen if you could somehow get word to Paul McCartney... in my little weird imagination, I could see him utilizing you in a music video of some kind.

Top notch!

Unknown Delight

Reaction score
Many thanks to you Melonpool for the kind thoughts.

Interesting idea. I have had some feedback from another forum where some folks suggested a similar thought, but instead of Paul they suggested George's own son Dhani. He now has a band of his own making it's way ( just finished their first tour) and suggested he might be interested in utilizing this somehow in a future music video.

I have to be honest and say i would of course be thrilled to be involved in such a project, but i have to admit i am not overly sure how his son would feel about seeing a lifesize puppet of his passed on father! This has made me hold back a little as far as wanting to pursue contacting them. The last thing i would want to do it freak him out..as i find this puppet seems to render two extreme reactions. People either love it, or express great displeasure as they find it 'creepy' or 'disturbing'.

I appreciate your comments!

:flirt:

wes

Reaction score
is that really a marionette it looks and moves like a animatronic.

Unknown Delight

Reaction score
He is most definately a marionette. ALL of his movements are controlled above by strings, and there are NO electronic elements whatsoever. Even the eyes are controlled by string-pulling.

I remember when i posted his first video on YouTube, i had to go back and add additonal comments as people were assuming this was a animatronic or radio-controlled figure. Nope...just pulling strings a certain way makes him move the way he does ( and 35+ years of experience helps too..)

One of my videos called 'Behind the Strings' shows me operating 'George'. Check it out, and see how i actually control him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-66P7i0erXE

I have to use two seperate control bars , one in each hand, and coordinate them together during one of his performances. The large bar controls his arms/elbows/hands , and the smaller bar controls his head movements as well as mouth/eyes/lids.

:cool:

wes

Reaction score
Nice Control of Manipulation!

Puppetainer

Reaction score
Well, as a huge George Harrison and puppet fan allow me to add my input.

Awesome!

I can understand your hesitance to approach George's family and/or Sir Paul. There's a good chance that they would see it for the loving tribute that it is though, rather than anything "creepy". With the viral nature of the internet it seems likely they'll get wind of it one way or another. Seems it would be best if the artist was the one giving the proper introduction.

Whether you choose to approach them or not is a fine piece of artistry (and some outstanding puppeteering skills as well) and you should indeed be proud!

Unknown Delight

Reaction score
Wow Puppetainer..i am so warmed by your glowing words.

You have made me a very happy gal tonight. :flirt: Many thanks for your kind compliments on my performance.

Your thoughts have encouraged me to reconsider, and i thank you for your feedback. Yes i agree with you - chances are George's family/estate may already be aware of this. I had a interesting listing in my 'Insight' section on YouTube about two months ago that made me cock a eyebrow ..so anything is possible. All i hope is that when they DO find 'George'...they enjoy it in a positive way.

Wes, i thank you too for your words regarding the control. 'George' is a special case and i built him to be very 'solid' but also very flexible in a animated standpoint. A hard combo sometimes, as we all know!

I am glad people here can full understand this stuff, and can get into it knowing what it takes to make it happen. I really appreciate your reviews!

:big_grin: