1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Lighthouse Island from The Jim Henson Hour

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by lowercasegods, Apr 4, 2007.

1. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

Assuming other people remember this second-half episode of the Jim Henson Hour, titled "Lighthouse Island", written by Jerry Juhl and starring Chris Makepeace, does anyone know where it was filmed? My first instinct is Canada (though where in Canada?), but IMDB.com doesn't have anything. Any thoughts?
  2. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

sorry I really don't know I always thought it was england by the look of things and the people used in it.
    I'm glad some one brought this up!
    I love this and have it on vhs!
  3. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

Well, I know Chris Makepeace is from Canada, and I'm pretty certain most of the cast members (besides Jerry Nelson) were Canadian. Of course, it wouldn't shock me to find that I'm completely wrong and that it was shot in England. I just wish I knew for sure! I know it's meant to come across as a semi-mythological world-meets New England (like Pete's Dragon), but other than that, I'm stumped.
  4. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

you know I've been wondering is that really jerry nerlson or just some one else and jerry is doing the voice of the man. It's always botherd me.:confused:
  5. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

If Jerry Nelson was just the voice, wouldn't he get a "featuring the voice of Jerry Nelson" credit, instead of just being listed among the cast?

I thought it might have been filmed in England, but then again, The Jim Henson Hour (or at least the MuppeTelevision segments) was filmed in Canada.
  6. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

No it's definitely Jerry Nelson playing the part as well.

I love Lighthouse Island, especially the music. I never thought about where it was filmed. I agree it does sort of remind me of New England. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was Canada. Hopefully someone will find out where at some point.
  7. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

It definitely looks like areas of Canada that were used to simulate New England in countless films. And Jerry Nelson has discussed his role in Lighthouse Island in interviews, so it really is him, for a fact.
  8. minor muppetz

Where? When? Do you have any quotes? What did he talk about?

I wonder how much of The Jim Henson Hour was filmed in Canada. I know that the MuppeTelevision segments were, and I'm pretty sure that Jim Henson's introductions and closings were. I guess anything with canadian performers were performed in Canada. I'm sure that The StoryTeller segments were filemd in england (they were all produced on their own, and I guess originally meant to be seen outside of JHH). Miss Piggy's Hollywood was obviously filmed in California.
  9. DoctorM

DoctorM New Member

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I can help you all out.

"Lighthouse Island" was filmed at Peggys Cove in Halifax http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peggys_Cove,_Nova

Jim Henson had seen the place. was struck by its interesting landscape and rock formations and decided he wanted to film a show there.

The show itself, was filmed as a pilot for a series that was to center around Lighthouse Island, its strange inhabitants and the people that visit. Chris Makepeace was intended to only be a guest for the first episode.

An interesting fact about this show that doesn't seem to be noted in the credits or elsewhere is that George Lucas' people (I assume ILM) did creature work for it. They built the sea monster for Henson.
    Phillip likes this.
  10. minor muppetz

That's interesting information. Where did you find all that info? I guess it must have been the kind of anthology series with the same setting but different characters per show. It's hard to beleive that a Henson-produced production would employ another effects company to make animatronic characters (according to Muppet Wiki the creature shop just supplied effects).

Any idea of the pilot was made but unsold before The Jim Henson Hour began, or if it was intended to be a regular series outside of The Jim Henson Hour, or if it would have been a regualr part of JHH (if the show had continued)?
  11. DoctorM

DoctorM New Member

My source is a member of the cast. I was perplexed as well. I would have thought that all creature work would have been by the creature workshop as well. I asked twice about this, but was told again that the sea monster and the tentacle were "build by Lucas' people on the west coast". That seemed pretty specific.

In fact, when the sea monster arrived they were afraid it was too small and were going to return it to be rebuilt (at a large expense). Instead they pulled a prank and had it jump out at somebody sent on a pointless errand. It proved to be scary enough as it was. :)

I believe I was told that Lighthouse Island was filmed the year before the JHH with the intention of it being a pilot. I suspect that means separate, and possible even before the JHH was in production.

I can only tell you what I was told, I can't prove it though.
  12. DoctorM

DoctorM New Member

I have some more info for you.

Like I said, the tentacle and the sea monster were built at ILM. The sea monster was operated by then ILM puppeteer Kirk Thatcher: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Kirk_Thatcher

This would have been 1987, the year before he went to work for Jim Henson directly.

I commented that LHI was definitely filmed as a pilot a year prior to the JHH. I'm guessing they had it laying around and the JHH was a good place to burn it off.

As far as the source of my information, it comes directly from a cast member.

I also was passing on the story about when the sea monster arrived on set from California. It was smaller than they expected (about 3 feet). They were going to send it back at a pretty serious expense to be rebuilt.

Instead they played a practical joke, sent someone out on a fools errand, and had the monster jump out at them. The monster proved scary enough so they kept it.
  13. WhiteLion

WhiteLion New Member

I actually signed up for these forums to ask a specific question. In the intro, they pan over a blue house and a Muppet hangs it's head out of the window and looks around. Can anyone confirm what kind of creature it was? It looks like a leftover Labyrinth goblin. I know they reused the bear from Polar Bear King and the griffin from Dream Child, so it wouldn't surprise me.
  14. Scooterforever

Scooterforever Active Member

Oooh, I absolutely loved Lighthouse Island. Cracking good fantasy by Jerry Juhl!