Lip Synching Technique

wes

Reaction score
When I'm going to a gig I usally get some extra pratice time in the car, as i'm traveling i like to freak people out in the cars as they go by, With my puppet on my hand. It's even better when the whole team is practicing in the van! It's cool!!

Iokitek

Reaction score
I also just started out with puppeteering for my own videos actually. And although I have no experience I don't really have that much problems staying on cue. But I tried lip symcing before and actually found that harder. Maybe that is because it's not my voice and it confuses me or something :confused: I have no idea.

wes

Reaction score
For every Syalable Drop the bottom jaw of the Puppet always remeber to keep the top still the only part that should move is the bottom, Just like we do when we talk!!
Random unsalisited addvice.:smile:

PS:I'm a Horible Speller:smirk:

Iokitek

Reaction score
heh :stick_out_tongue: well that's good advice. But unfortunatelly it's impossible with my sockpuppets. But I still think it looks ok the way I do it now. I do have a muppety puppet and on that it doesn't look as good when the head bobs back and forth all the time. So maybe it depends on the puppet.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Iokitek said:
heh :stick_out_tongue: well that's good advice. But unfortunatelly it's impossible with my sockpuppets. But I still think it looks ok the way I do it now. I do have a muppety puppet and on that it doesn't look as good when the head bobs back and forth all the time. So maybe it depends on the puppet.
Ronn Lucas does a routine with a sock puppet and he seems to manipulate it well, without moving the top 'lip' too much. Worth a look if you can find footage (he certainly did it on the Ronn Lucas show, someone may have a copy, I have a somewhere - not quite sure where though!).

hennesprod

Reaction score
Ok, what about doing a 10 second club for puppetry? Animators do this and it yields some great learning oppertunities. Each month we pick an audio line from a movie, like silence of the lambs. Then lip sync to the audio track and submit the movie. I think this could be really fun to do and help others in their performance. When I was working in a studio as an animator, the rest of the animators where doing the 10 second club, but I thought I would give it a go with a sock puppet and do some comparing and you know it came out well.

What do think?

wes

Reaction score
sounds like fun, some one would have to tell me how to post videos, and we would have to make a rule not to use puppet movies like the muppets take Manhattan, do some thing else! it be more funnyer!:stick_out_tongue:

hennesprod

Reaction score
Agreed. I think the last one I did was John Cleese from a "fish called wanda"

William

wes

Reaction score
OK how do I post Videos!:confused:
I can take short Videos on My Digital Camera and Upload it to my computer,but how do i put it one the Web?

Iokitek

Reaction score
I had the same problem :smile: So I just use Google Video